Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at the point now where Im sqaured away with everything I want to do with my jeep besides the one place that Ive been kinda neglecting... the engine. Im wanting to release more of its potential and I found the HO cams on AirRam and Im wondering if anyone has had a run in with them. And Im not engine tech suave so if someone could give me a run down, Id appreciate it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It says on there website it's a bolt on application, no special tuning required and will work with superchip tuners. I sent and e-mail to the company and see what they say. I figured you might run lean all the time, but heck if nothing special is required, I might try it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Im really curious about them too. Ill more than likely order some here in about 2 weeks or so but Ill be doing my research.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would be interested as well

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Any reputable cam maker would have tested the cams and would have notes about what is required to make the engine work properly, i.e. if the PCM couldn't handle the cam, there would be a warning with the cam about that.

The engine controls are adaptive and will adapt to the profile of new cams, provided the cams are NOT to radical.

They have several cam options for the little Chrysler 2.0L in the Neons, and people swapped cams with little trouble, only the most radical cams, that created idle and vacuum problems, as well needed higher compression ratios, needed to mess with or trick the PCM tuning to get them working right. Things like piggy-back computers, adding mechanical idle stops, reprogramming PCM's.

If the cam is mild enough that it doesn't effect idle and vacuum much, then likely the PCM will be more than able to adapt to it.

2 things to keep in mind.
  1. Modern electronic controls tune the motors very well, and "streetable" cams don't really give that much performance gain. Don't get me wrong, it should improve performance, but expect more like a 3%-5% gain in HP. NOT every motor is the same, I could be wrong about the 4.7L and maybe the cams will give you even more.
  2. The one place where the "Speed Density" systems do NOT adapt, is at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The system does NOT have any feedback in that open loop mode. BUT, for safety, the manufacturer usually tunes WOT much richer than is best, so mods like cams and headers, usually results in leaning out the WOT and thus gets you more power. The only problem would be, if the CAM was wild enough, that it leaned out the WOT too much and that could cause engine damage.
I could be wrong, and the 4.7L may be different than other motors that I have read or heard about in my rambling above. But, most of the time the biggest risk with buying a "streetable" cam for modern motors is that the performance gain is so little, you have to ask if its worth the time and money to do it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have to disagree with ya Mongo. These are factory replacement camshafts for the 4.7 H.O. Version of our engines...lsa on a fuel injected engine should be about 114 degrees to keep that smooth idle and to keep the pcm happy. on a stock tune just by swapping out the cams your loooking at 25 hp to the fw gain thats quite a bit more than 2-3 percent. if you were to tune with these cams youd be lookin at another 18-22 fw hp. we're not talkin hot rod neons here...not sure why youre talkin speed density here either...your points are invalid to these new systems about wot...on the old ford 5.0's yes valid but not here, not now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Concerns about speed density tuning and a/f ratio at wot are very relevant. You are kidding yourself if you think a cam only swap will net 25 HP. The computer tune is extremely relevant and should not be trusted to any canned tuner as the a/f ratio needs to be corrected at every range. A cam also needs to be tuned for to ensure longevity and power gains. Basically if your computer doesn't notice a change a need for adjustment, you won't notice a change when you stomp on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts