Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket tubes that would allow you to use the factory airbox? I'd like to open things up a bit, but I don't want it to get too loud. I saw True Flow sells kits like that (air filter + tube) but not for the Commander.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hate to hyjack someone's thread but those 4.7 liter intakes that you guys are refering to, do they also work on the 4.7 flex fuel engines. I obviously dont know if there really is a big difference between the flex fuel and regular 4.7 liter.... i'm new to the jeep thing!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
07JeepXK said:
I hate to hyjack someone's thread but those 4.7 liter intakes that you guys are refering to, do they also work on the 4.7 flex fuel engines. I obviously dont know if there really is a big difference between the flex fuel and regular 4.7 liter.... i new to the jeep thing!

Yes I believe they would work with the Flex Fuel model.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have the K&N Cold Air kit on the 4.7 motor. Gained about 2 mpg and the pick up and torque has been a big difference from stock.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does the cold air have a whistle to it? I know it sounds weird but my Acura Cl was so restricted by the stock air box that when I was at lower RPMS there was a whistle from the AEM Intake until the rpms picked up and it gave the V6 a huge deep sound. I gained 14 hp on the Dyno with a full intake(which was huge for that little car) and a low gain in torque.

I am thinking with the V8 that the intake wont make the annoying whistle. I also am confused on why people are worried about the filter bypass so much. I am new to the offroad world yet I knew that the bypass only is affected if there is major water intrusion. As long as you maintain the Cold Air filter you wont have any problems inside the engine bay. I replaced my filter after 15 months and used a kit that AEM sells to oil coat the filter. Never had any problems after 4 years as a daily driver with the intake on!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
Does the cold air have a whistle to it? I know it sounds weird but my Acura Cl was so restricted by the stock air box that when I was at lower RPMS there was a whistle from the AEM Intake until the rpms picked up and it gave the V6 a huge deep sound. I gained 14 hp on the Dyno with a full intake(which was huge for that little car) and a low gain in torque.
I put a EDGE Products Trailjammer kit (performance module, intake, and throttle body) on my Cherokee and the stupid throttle body whistles at slight throttle. They told me to grind the edge of the one opening to make it stop but that didn't work.

Because of that experience I am not considering putting an intake on my XK. I can live with it's current performance and mileage.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
Why would a squeaky throttle body cause you to not want a CAI? I don't understand the relationship.
Just a bad experience with the whole intake (they said it was the throttle body but not so sure that it isn't at least partly the intake because their suggested modification to the throttle body didn't work). I guess I just don't want to risk having the same annoyance on my XK.

·
Registered
526 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Just a bad experience with the whole intake (they said it was the throttle body but not so sure that it isn't at least partly the intake because their suggested modification to the throttle body didn't work). I guess I just don't want to risk having the same annoyance on my XK.

I heard the same thing too from my "mechanic" friend. he said the relation of the intake to the position of the throttle body could have caused the whine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the hemi with CAI. No Whine. You get a nice throaty sound and it is definitely louder than the standard intake. But it isn't like the exhaust fell off or anything. when cruising you don't hear hardly any difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response-yes, the KandN does whistle at start up, in fact my normal mechanic said that it drove him nuts when he first heard that. That being said, it then idles down and gets throaty sounding. The funniest thing is the noise at throttle, we were going up the thruway the other day in the fast lane when this rice rocket pulled up on my right, slowed down then he heard the intake and just kept looking at the right quarter panel trying to figure out what it was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts