Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone priced out the cost of upgrading the early 4.7 vs selling and going to a newer commander? The difference in prices between and earlier commander and a newer one seems to be 2-3 thousand dollars. My '06 has less than 80 thousand on it, and if I take the cost per mile fuel savings, it will take years to pay for the trouble, and then I have an older vehicle to sell when it's time to let it go.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
If you like yours, drive it till it dies. The money you spend on maintenance will usually be cheaper than the cost of buying new(er). Additionally, yours is low mileage and you know the issues it has, if any. Getting a newer XK is an unknown and you'll have to shake it out. Besides, not having a car payment sure is nice. But if you have the cash in hand to upgrade free and clear and you want a newer model, go for it! I was in the same fix, and ended up buying another 06 Limited because I wanted a Hemi. If I was fine with the 4.7 I would have built the "old" XK up and repaired it along the way.

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Yeah, fit all the stuff the 2008 and up engines have.
That's a project that I haven't heard anyone take on since I've been here.

The 2008 4.7L engine has a redesigned intake and an additional sparkplug per cylinder which accounts for the 70 HP increase from the 07 4.7L to the 08 4.7L - I don't think you can incorporate those changes into the older (06, 07) 4.7L engines.

Maybe you could manage to swap the intakes - if the new intakes are compatible with the older 4.7L blocks (I don't know if they are or not) - but how could you add the 2nd spark plug per cylinder that the 2008 and later 4.7L's have?

I think most would probably opt for just getting a rebuilt 2008 or (09, 10) 4.7L and doing an engine swap - if you have the budget.

If not, just stick with what you have if it's running fine and not giving you any problems.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Depends on the resale value of your particular vehicle.

If you were talking doing an engine swap to a totally different engine, like going from a 3.7L to a 4.7L or HEMI, yes almost always the answer would be its cheaper to sell yours and buy a Jeep with the engine you want. Cause there are a lot of other parts and changes you have to make to switch to a completely different engine, like electronic modules, wire harnesses, transmissions, etc that will drive up the cost an enormous amount.

If you're talking swapping over another version of the same motor, not as expensive but a new motor is expensive, so some older cars its might not be worth replacing a blown motor.

Now you want to go to a different year 4.7L, which they may have changed PCM's and wire harness's etc over the years. So you need to do some research and make sure you get everything, otherwise it might not run right.

Finally, if just want to swap to the later 4.7L simply because they made some upgrades to the motor in the later years and you want those upgrades for piece of mind? I'd think the expense of a new engine is just NOT worth the cost just to get some updates of power.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Has anyone priced out the cost of upgrading the early 4.7 vs selling and going to a newer commander? The difference in prices between and earlier commander and a newer one seems to be 2-3 thousand dollars. My '06 has less than 80 thousand on it, and if I take the cost per mile fuel savings, it will take years to pay for the trouble, and then I have an older vehicle to sell when it's time to let it go.
john, I think you answered your own question in your last sentence especially with 80k on the clock and still running fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts