Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - sorry but I'm still the new guy and not trying to start a huge debate but realistic imput would be appriciated. When I order my Commander it will be a every day hauler for me. Will the 4.7 do the job efficiantly or is the 5.7 needed ? In my Grand Cherokee the 4.7 is great and there does not seem to be a huge difference between the two vehicals on paper. In some of the literature they stated that the 5.7 will only deactivate to 4 cylinders between 40 and 60 mph so in being realistic for WI. driving that does not happen very often unless you are driving past Lambeau Field. So is the 4.7 enough and what is realistic gas milage or is the 5.7 needed and what is the realistic gas milage? (no I don't want to drive a Honda either);)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would go with the 4.7 for fuel savings if you are doing a lot of stop and go. Pure highway, both engines are almost the same.

I have the 4.7 and in city driving I can get around 14-15mpg(lite on throttle and forget about beating the next light), highway I average 18-20 mpg(65mph) depending on the terrain and traffic

·
Registered
148 Posts
I you drive around 40 in the 5.7 you can get over around 18-20 mpg. It is better to have too much than too little to get out of a situation. Someone did a gas comparison on here sometime back and it only came to like 77 dollar difference between th 4.7 and 5.7 for a year of driving. Go with the Hemi, you'll love it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed

I love my XK with the 4.7, but if I could have gotten the 5.7 in the sport, I would have. However, I don't care for the chrome accents or chrome clad wheels on the limiteds, so is was not worth paying more for something I actually disliked.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the 4.7 and it's more than enough. If you are towing a trailer than you should consider the Hemi. For the kind of driving I do,mostly city, the Hemi is overkill and with gas prices the way they are who wants to pay more at the pump. In any case I would test drive the 4.7 and Hemi and see for your self.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What will you be towing? what is your on road/off road percentage?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 08 Hemi (before mods:D ) got over 18 mpg if I took it easy.

Most will say the 4.7 is enough & they're prob right. But do you want just enough or something that gets very similar mpg and has the ability to move when you put your foot into it? Wheel'n with the Hemi got me through some mud and sand on different occasions that I question my JK would have made it through.

The above is just my opinion. I Hope it helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just drove up to Stevens Point Wisconsin from NC with my 5.7....There is something about a Hemi. I averaged about 18.5 MPGs realistically and enjoy the extra power. It is purely your choice but if you are looking at either is gas mileage really that big a concern? Get the Hemi...You will enjoy the acceleration and the feel of the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would've gotten the Hemi if I could've gotten one without leather seats and still have the skylights. My wife doesn't like the leather seats because they get too hot in the summer time for her legs, and its her daily driver.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
lonestar said:
I would've gotten the Hemi if I could've gotten one without leather seats and still have the skylights. My wife doesn't like the leather seats because they get too hot in the summer time for her legs, and its her daily driver.
Well, I live in a much hotter -- but much less humid -- area than VA and the Yuma leather seats are not too hot on you. I put the sunshade in the window and vent the sunroof... seats are fine on ever 115F day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the 4.7 in a Grand Cherokee and it has always had all the power that I needed.

I have the 5.7 Hemi in a Commander and I love it and so far it has had all the power that I have needed.

The gas mileage difference is minimal. I would go with the Hemi, if only for psychological reasons. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd say it depends on what year your looking at. If its a brand new one, i'd go with the 4.7, otherwise go with a hemi. I have an 06 4.7, and although it is enough power, its also just enough to get me around without getting into trouble if you understand what I am saying, and with the mileage being so close I think it would just be worth it if the pricetag difference doesnt scare the **** out of you. The great thing about the old 4.7 though is it is proven to be a very, very dependable engine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Well, I live in a much hotter -- but much less humid -- area than VA and the Yuma leather seats are not too hot on you. I put the sunshade in the window and vent the sunroof... seats are fine on ever 115F day.
I can see the Yuma leather if you get the one with the Yuma leather, I don't think they all have it, or maybe I'm wrong, it's only the 4.7s that don't have the Yuma. The problem I had with the Yuma leather is that I felt like I slid around in it too much. The other leather that we like is the King Ranch leather in the Ford's, sat on some at the Texas State Fair a few years ago at 3:30 in the afternoon, and it wasn't too bad.

A little background on us, we're misplaced Texans, I'm from the Houston area (upper 90s upper 90% humidity) and the wife is from North Texas (outside of Dallas, almost to OK).

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are getting a 08, the 4.7 should be plenty enough with its 305 or 315hp rating.

·
Registered
147 Posts
With the huge drop in resale versus the $7-10k difference between the 4.7 and the Hemi, it's not really worth it to get the Hemi. . .at least not to me. $23k (MSRP was $33k) for the base model with a 4.7 versus $31k (MSRP was $41) for the Limited with a Hemi is what I was looking at in January '07. The 4.7 isn't as fast, doesn't have the front and rear ELSDs, and has a 700lb lower maximum tow rating compared to the 5.7 Hemi, but even with all of the other luxury equipment in the Commander Limited (the lowest trim level the Hemi is available with) I could not justify paying that much more for what I considered only incremental improvements.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the hemi, and I'm glad to have it. I tow a horse trailer, and I drive a LOT, mostly on the interstate. I like the extra pick up, as well as the comfort towing. I bought mine used with 11,000 miles on it, and I've had it three weeks shy of a year; it now has 49,000 miles on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts