Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you can never have too many mileage threads...

I have put about 1000 miles on my commander so far and the EVIC only shows I am getting about 14.3 MPG -- This is mixed highway/city, mostly highway miles, but that is during rushhour. What is everyone else getting?

I have recently added the K&N drop in air filter, and tore off the flap which covers the intake snorkle right behind the grill, as talked about in another thread. I will see if this changes anything.

·
Registered
195 Posts
22300 miles. Consistently 18-19 mpg. Cross country trip, ~5300 miles, got as high as 20+. City/highway, about 10/90*; we're retired, so there's no commuting. Seldom over 70 on the hwy. [*Bought a "UV", a Scion xB, that gets 33+, we use it for city driving/errands.]

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got the 4.7L 4x4 and I've consistantly been getting about 15mpg (calculated at each fillup) with a mix of about 25% city/75% highway. I wonder if I drive too fast on the highway (usually about 80mph)....:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am just under 3000. I took my first "highway" trip over the weekend where I could really set it on cruise at 55/60 and see what mileage I got. The average for the entire trip (~110 miles, ~50% highway) was 18.2. The rest of the time I've owned the JC I've averaged 13.0, mostly "suburban" driving (some stop and go, never really over 45-50mph).

·
Registered
136 Posts
3K miles so far. The longer you drive in the city, the lower the mileage on the display will go. Yes, you can start with 18 mph on a highway but then go in the mostly city and try not reset it for awhile. After a week or too of NO-RESET, my mileage has gone to 11.9-12 mph and this is pretty much where it is. If I drive a little bit on HWY it goes to 12. Back to the city and after a day or so it is back to 11.9. This is also consistent with actual math (division of number of miles driven per number of miles, averaged). My fillups are every 205-220 miles and average 18 to 18.2 from full to empty. I define "empty" when there is 0 miles left on display but I have driven with it 5-10 miles or so. I figure if the actual tank is 20.5 gallons, there is 2-2.5 gallon left on top of 18 gallons.
Mileage sucks allright but what bugs me really is how small the gas tank is and the disgusting little range of this so called "freedom-my-ass machine" resulting in never ending fillups.:mad:

·
Registered
274 Posts
3131 miles. Milage is 12.9 in the city, I have 1/2 lead foot. I can't complain about the milage, I KNEW what I was buying:D As for the size of the fuel tank, Jeep is known for their small tanks. Hey there are gas stations all over the place. If I wasn't happy with the size of the fuel tank, criminy..........I sell it and buy something I wouldn't complain about all the time.:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
No disrespect meant, Mango, but I can complain as much as I care. I probably will as long as I own it. Tell people the range and see how hard they laugh. I can't say that I've done the shopping around job too well though. There are choices out there. Fine car otherwise, no problems at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
4.7L 4x4. After first tank of mostly city/rural driving C/T indicated 13.2mpg but actual calculated was 15mpg. Now on my second tank I'm driving about 25% highway and so far my C/T is now running in the 16-17mpg range so I expect my actual mpg to go up at least as well.

XKPearl

·
Registered
258 Posts
The only complaint I have is that the mpg isnt better, but it didnt stop me from buying mine. I think I have round 6k now. Been on a huge road trip. Lately been driving back and forth to the Hospital on the freeway. I know if I drove civilized on the freeway for a whole tank of gas we could get about 350 to 375 miles on one tank. I have seen the computer tell me as good as 23mpg then.
Locally about 50/50 driving and when I look at the dash reading about 13.9mpg seems to be up there alot. Of course, round here the bigger concern is the sustained 103 degree temps outside.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We have 5500 miles on ours. Do mostly city driving and the average is 15 miles per gallon. We took a road trip in it doing between 70 and 75 and got just under 20 miles per gallon. We did the math the computer was not right with our figures of how much gas we bought versus how far we drove. That was when we first bought the commander so it only had 1500 miles on it then. It is broke in some now so it will probably do better next trip. We have the 4.7 with 2wd we decided it was going to be our road trip vehicle and nothing more so 4wd was not needed I have a wrangler and he has a cj if we need 4wd. Don't quote me on it but doesn't 4wd make some difference on gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Tlambert95 said:
Don't quote me on it but doesn't 4wd make some difference on gas mileage?
Yes, 4WD vehicles will get a minimal amount less compared to 2WD. However, with more modern drivetrains this small difference is not going to be able to be measured by the average consumer doing hand calculations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Why do I get such crappy mileage?

6,000 miles on my commander
I don't drive fast
I installed the K&N Air Intake (Thanks INTREPER!!!)
I drive 85% City and 15% highway
I don't use the A/C very often
I took it into the dealer to check for problems and they said everything was fine

I usually get around 11-12 MPG's

Are you guys just full of BS or am I the only one getting crappy mileage?

P.S. How hard is it to do the old "disconnect the car battery for 30 minutes" trick that someone suggested here in another thread and would it make a significance difference in gas mileage?

I am not expecting GREAT mileage, but I would think I should get at least 13 MPG in the city without even working that hard at it.

Signed,

Frustrated in the OC!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
We went on a road trip recently from Virginia to Ft. Myers Beach Florida. We averaged 18 mph at 75-80 mph. We have 6400 miles on the XK. No complaints here. The XK performed exceptionaly. The ride was great & didn't feel tired after hours in the seat either. The auto climate system performed without a flaw, which is also very kool :cool:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts