Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done done searching and nobody really seems to reply with what kind of mpg gains they're getting with the 4.7 after doing modifications. I'm really sick of filling up every week and I don't want to trade in the commander (because I can't think of anything id like more) so I'm looking to modify the commander to get at least a couple more mpgs! Im getting 14.5mpg with the 2" lift and all terrains but im looking into a programmer either the superchip or hypertech also an intake. What are some other mods I can make to get this thing to go a little bit farther on a gallon?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brenden,

You will most likely spend more on mods than you will save in fuel. Just my thoughts. The most common mods would be: Less restrictive exhaust, CAI, programmer. The Commander was never made with fuel economy in mind. I get worse fuel economy in the commander than I would in a pickup with a larger engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really sucks. I love my Jeep and wish I could just get it up to at least 18 or more mpg. What's bad is I am always browsing car lots looking at my options and there's really no advantage for me to own the jeep. Don't need 3rd row don't need off road capabilities because I have a suzuki samurai and I don't need towing power but for some reason I'd hate to get rid of the jeep I guess because I've taken it off road and seen its amazing capabilities. I just can't afford the poor gas mileage anymore and with new cars and SUVs coming out getting on average 20+ mpg I'm thinking a trade might be in my near future.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds simple but sometimes driving technique can make a difference. If I am waiting in a line of traffic on the road or even in a drive thru, I always shut it off. Smooth starts and stops, not to mention slowing down a little can also help a little, and with our Commanders, every little bit helps. Lifting them and adding larger tires probably doesn't help either, but, Hey....It looks really cool!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say you shut it off do you mean completely shut down the engine? Wouldn't that use more gas? I don't remember what my mpg was before the lift and tires so I don't have the temptation to remove the lift or change tires. Too bad I don't have the 08 commander because the gains in hp and torque along with slightly better mpg with the superchips flashpaq would justify me getting it but with the minimal gains they claim with my 07 it doesn't seem worth it.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
When you say you shut it off do you mean completely shut down the engine? Wouldn't that use more gas?
No, it would save gas.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yea I mean when the engine isn't running but what I meant is when starting it up doesn't that use a lot of gas?

·
Registered
321 Posts
how are you getting 14.5 w on yours ith 2" and all terrains? lol after i put my lift and 32's on i was getting 11 mpg. I now have a gibson exhaust, K&N cai, superchip, synthetic oil, and premium gas and i see about 14.5 in the middle of myrtle beach...

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeep5253 that's pretty useful information thanks for the link ill try that although I don't let it warm up or hit the gas when starting I can understand idling uses a lot of gas.

Blue, I thought 14.5 was bad! Today I tried testing myself to see of I could slowly accelerate and brake early. I also put it in neutral when going downhill and coasting to a stop. I was able to maintain 20-23 mpg until I started hitting every single red light in town which in my area is a light on every corner. I couldn't TRY to hit every red like that! But it quickly dropped to about 16.5 and I got home at 17.3. Coasting in neutral seemed to help but I'm nervous that when I shift back into drive it thumps into gear.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I also put it in neutral when going downhill and coasting to a stop. I was able to maintain 20-23 mpg until I started hitting every single red light in town which in my area is a light on every corner. I couldn't TRY to hit every red like that! But it quickly dropped to about 16.5 and I got home at 17.3. Coasting in neutral seemed to help but I'm nervous that when I shift back into drive it thumps into gear.
I recommend that you stop putting it in neutral and coasting. I used to do it until forum member robby, who is a cracker-jack mechanic, told me it would harm the clutch.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64&highlight=neutral&page=3
robby said:
The real concern is putting it BACK in gear.
At that time, all forward clutches must re-apply as opposed to staying applied while stopped in gear.
Every re-apply= clutch pack wear.
Also:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64&highlight=neutral&page=4
Kansas1230 said:
At one point I read (Car & Driver?) that shifting into neutral is not only potentially dangerous for the situation you outlined above, but actually counterproductive to gaining MPG's based on the fact that newer engines and auto transmissions monitor several inputs (speed, gear, air, etc.) and then adjust fuel patterns to suite. When the car "senses" you let off the gas pedal while still in gear, it cuts the fuel supply to save you the MPG's, and relies on the vehicle's kinetic energy to maintain speed. However, when the car is in neutral it will continue to "feed the ponies" while you coast, so to say, thus resulting in ever-so-slightly lower fuel efficiency, even though the RPM's were lower.

·
Registered
405 Posts
BrendenV I feel what you are saying I have the same debate all the time when I fill up my Jeep, but as you said I love my Jeep I just can't think of getting another vehicle so I just told myself well after I pay it off, the money I was paying for it will be now for gas, so why get another vehicle. Oh well that is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I avg about 14 mpg in mine with the bigger tires, lift and factory cross bars. Reducing rotational mass as well can help save some fuel--ie lighter tires and rims (my tires currently weigh in at 55lbs ea, plus rim-others come in around 40lbs), take any extra 'junk' your hauling around out etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I get ~14.5 in mine w/ 4.7. Same mileage before and after the 2" lift and I have the GY Silent Armors on it now and those are not the lightest of the choices. I have a Superchips programmer but it didn't change the mileage at all.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Add a sail, and drive only with the wind. :D

I'm lucky if I get 16.8 MPG on the highway, and that's driving like grandpa. On camp trips, where the over-stuffed wind-catching Thule cargo bag is in danger of getting torn off from underpasses, :) it's about 15, and mayyyybeeee 16 MPG.

In town, where I HATE traffic and stoplights, (Aptly named, since they're just about NEVER green!!) it's more like 10 MPG, and at the most, 12. The 265/70R17 meatgrinders took about 3 MPG right off the top, but they're sure nice while off-roading.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess bottom line might be, We know what we got! Like fco27 my Commander is also paid for. Not only does it take some sting out of lousy gas mileage, Lack of a car payment does too. Adondo may have the solution with adding a sail!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was getting 12.5 city and 16 hghway with a stock truck, 4.7 quadra trac II. I put a 2" lift on with 265's nitto terro. Bigger shocks and struts, with same factory specs just aftermarket. Then a superchip and cold air intake. I now get 14.5 city and 18/19 highway with 87 octane. Something else, even with the 91 octane program in the super chip I get worse mileage with good gas, even non ethanol 91, strange, the 4.7 really is designed with 87 in mind. But, I strongly feel the 4.7 is underpowered in this truck for a limited model, higher rpm's going up hills downshifting alot gets bad mpg's. All together the superchip and cold air intake cost about 600$. Thats 148.51 gallons of gas at current price of 87. You might think of just putting this in your gas tank, i really dont notice any power increase with either chip or cai.

·
Registered
17 Posts
oh one more thing. I recently have been towing my small boat and a car trailer with a four door saturn, and have been getting about 12mg's with that. I am actually quite happy with that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it seems spending money on upgrades to try to achieve better mpg is pretty pointless because breaking even on saving will take a long time. As my brother put it when talking about his ford explorer "superchips helped performance but the mpg increase was more of a side effect than a purpose"

I guess now would also be a good time to ask how accurate the mpg computer is? If I baby the hell out of it and I mean really drive like a granny on my commute home I can achieve high 17's to usually low 18's but tonight I reset it early and ended with 18.8mpg!? My trip home is mostly downhill which is good but of course to work is all uphill. It seems the SLIGHTEST little hill makes the mpg drop like a stone!

Ill look into the sail idea! Lol or make a fiberglass cone for the front of the vehicle for aerodynamics haha

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well my friend, by now you realize why our Commanders were pulled off the market. My last hope suggestion would be to either accept it for what it is, which I am pretty sure will become collectable, or....cut a hole in the floorboard and do the Fred Flintstone, although instead of barefoot, I recommend comfy sneakers. Seriously, good luck in your decision. We understand if you trade. But we hope you won't, and buy a smaller fuel efficient vehicle for commuting and keep the XK for when you want to have some fun!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts