Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my XK in this morning to take care of a couple of codes and to finally replace the factory struts and springs with Bilsteins and Old Man Emu springs due to the new addition of the bumper and winch. Not sure if I'm the first to try this combo now that I think about it, but it doesn't work. I talked to the tech (same guy who installed the lift almost a year ago) who said he barely got the passenger side together but even with the weight of the Jeep on the ground, could not get the knuckle to mate back to the upper control arm on the drivers side. Even if he could, the Superlift knuckle was almost contacting the spring with the Jeep on the ground. That translates into almost no downward travel without the knuckles contacing the springs/struts even in the most mild articulation. So he's now pulling it apart again and putting the factory springs back on to the Bilsteins. It never crossed my mind the OME springs wouldn't work with the Superlift knuckles. The whole thing may work with new upper control arms, but I elected to not spend that kind of money on something that may or may not work. Anyway, more and more guys are installing the 4" kit these days, so if anyone gets this combo to work, I'd love to hear about it! Dang.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
IIRC, the Superlift is designed only wot work with the OEM springs. The OME springs already give 2-3" of lift so they'll exceed the design limits of the Superlift kit.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the 4" lift and stock springs, my upper control arm is at or better than the stock angle. The upper balljoint is exactly neutral on flat ground. The new OME spring just extended the natural travel of the strut and the clearance between the spring and the knuckle looked to be more of an issue than the balljoint, but the OME spring definitely reduces your available downward travel. The factory knuckle doesn't bow in as much as the Superlift knuckle allowing more clearance than what I have, but would produce the same issue as far as the balljoint is concerned. I know the spring would settle some, but I didn't have the confidence to guinea-pig it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I guess we will soon see some OME springs in the for sale section? Or were you able to return them?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If I recall correctly there was another member on the forum that added OME coils but had to cut a coil or so off of the new springs. If you were to do that your your OME springs and get some GetLost4x4 UCA's youd be set!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I wonder if I could use the OME springs with my Rockey Road lift and new upper control arms? might be in the market for your takeoffs.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cutting a coil off...interesting..
Unfortunately, at 107 bucks an hour, I've probably just spent more to simply add bilsteins to my rig than I did to have the 4" lift installed. Don't know what the total is yet, but I'm certain I'll be unpleasantly surprised. At the risk of mentioning this in the wrong thread, I'd be willing to sell the springs to anyone (John :)) who's interested. I paid $170 for the pair and will certainly let them go for less than that. I've decided if I need another inch or so due to the front end weight, I may call Superlift and have them send me a couple more spring preload spacers. The new weight only settled the front about a half inch, but it sure rides smoother. Anyway, it is what it is, I've lived and learned. And will pay dearly.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Cutting a coil off...interesting..
Unfortunately, at 107 bucks an hour, I've probably just spent more to simply add bilsteins to my rig than I did to have the 4" lift installed. Don't know what the total is yet, but I'm certain I'll be unpleasantly surprised. At the risk of mentioning this in the wrong thread, I'd be willing to sell the springs to anyone (John :)) who's interested. I paid $170 for the pair and will certainly let them go for less than that. I've decided if I need another inch or so due to the front end weight, I may call Superlift and have them send me a couple more spring preload spacers. The new weight only settled the front about a half inch, but it sure rides smoother. Anyway, it is what it is, I've lived and learned. And will pay dearly.
Thats a rediculous price per hour for a shop to charge to install a lift. If anyone lives in my area or is willing to drive to me, ill install your lift for free. Just bring a case of beer with you! So im assuming with the price you just mentioned, you paid well over $1200 dollars to get the lift installed? They shouldn't charge you for the extra labor for the OME coils since they didnt work, but just charge you for the strut/shock install.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Well I am glad somebody tried that combo, I am heading home for R&R in 3 weeks and was preparing to do the same exact same thing. So it sounds like it is simply to much of a strain on the suspension without the new UCAs. If the GETLOST bumper lowered the front 1" (hypothetically) and you added the 2" OME springs, your overall gain would be 1". Sounds like a jack in the box waiting to spring by the sounds of your mechanic.

Any pics of it on the ground with the SL+OME?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
07JeepXK -
That's the dealer rate for maintenance. Their rate for installing accessories is 85 an hour but my guess is they will consider strut replacement as maintenance. We'll see, they've been good to me in the past.

Iowa - I think the new UCA's would help the situation some, but the main problem is the suspension is cycled downward enough that there is very little clearance between the Superlift knuckle and the strut, just like when you jack up your jeep and let the front wheels hang, the knuckles comes up against the struts. I like the cutting-a-coil idea but I really don't have time or money to let those guys experiment. What would be ideal for me is a spring with the same extended length as stock but with a slightly higher rate. Until then, I'll run the stockers which aren't bad, I was just looking for another inch or so without putting another spacer on top of the strut.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Ken,

which part number did you order from OME?

Was it OME991? What did they charge you for the springs?

I have the 4" superlift, the Bilstein struts and of course the original prototype of the custom UCAs so I would be interested seeing if these OME springs would work with the knuckle and the UCA.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, they are OME991 springs. Ross recommended OK Offroad as the place to buy them. I talked to Mark at OK and he was very good to deal with. The springs were $85 each, came in one box and I can not remember what shipping cost.

[email protected]

www.okoffroad.com

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Sounds like IF I wanted to use those springs I would also have to order new struts as well and then springs & shocks for the back.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It has been almost 4 months that i have been running Bilstein and OME springs ( minus 1 coil) on my XK. I am pleased to report that I have had no issues. If you have the extra weight on the front end from the winch bumper you will love this set up. Swallows bumps like you would not believe, with a very civilized ride. I have not had the opportun ity to do any "major off road" trips with this set up, however I have done a few trails with great sucess.
I am surprised that now one else has given this set up a go. I love it. Best 300 bucks I spent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts