Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I pulled the trigger on the 4" Superlift. I'm going with new wheels and I've finally figured out that they'll fit, thanks for all the help guys. I purchased the UCA's from GetLost4x4 (Ross). What else should I do? I prefer to do it all at once. I didn't purchase shocks with the kit. Do I need new shocks? should I get new shocks? and if so, which ones? Any recommedations would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I prefer just to get it all done at once.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would definately recommend at least getting the BDS rear adjustable lower control arms. A lot of guys with the superlift complain about bottoming out on the superlift drop down brackets for the rear lower control arm.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As for the shocks I would either go with the Bilstein 7100 rear shocks or the Superide Select Series Remote (SSR) rear shocks. The SSR's are an upgrade to the superlift shocks that they provide in the lift kit. As for the front struts Id go with Bilstein but the stock struts will work fine too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going with some KMC XD series wheels. I'm still debating on two models, the Badlands and the Monsters. They'll be 18x9" with 325/60R/18's Mickey Thompson ATZ SLT's (same tires and wheel sizes as IowaCommander). Thanks for the suggestion on the BDS control arms, I've been kicking that around.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I have the Superlift SSR's on the rear and they're amazing. Remote res. shocks are a little overkill for slow off-roading but they give a very nice ride when combined with the Superlift rear springs. They were an additional 225 bucks to the kit, however.

As for the struts, hmm. I "upgraded" to the bilsteins and they've been the most frustrating mod I've made. I don't know if mine weren't QC'd before they left the factory or what, but the strut shaft keeps coming loose at the top of the strut. We initially installed a couple washers at the top on the drivers side which quieted the noise for a while, but it seems to be making noise again now. And the passenger side - the nut has backed off a turn or so and you can see daylight under it. It makes a bunch of squeaking and metal-to-metal knocking noises over the slightest bumps. I'm having new coils installed on the struts next week and will do everything we can to make sure they stay tight this time. If they loosen again, I'll go back to a new pair of stockers.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As for the struts, hmm. I "upgraded" to the bilsteins and they've been the most frustrating mod I've made. I don't know if mine weren't QC'd before they left the factory or what, but the strut shaft keeps coming loose at the top of the strut. We initially installed a couple washers at the top on the drivers side which quieted the noise for a while, but it seems to be making noise again now. And the passenger side - the nut has backed off a turn or so and you can see daylight under it. It makes a bunch of squeaking and metal-to-metal knocking noises over the slightest bumps. I'm having new coils installed on the struts next week and will do everything we can to make sure they stay tight this time. If they loosen again, I'll go back to a new pair of stockers.
I dont like to hear stuff like this. I am about 1 week away from buying some new struts and planned on getting the Bilsteins.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Not to hijack the thread for this..

I was told after the driver side was fixed that the nut was bottoming on the shaft threads before it actually tightened up against the strut hat, which is something anyone would likely miss if the strut was at full extension. Washers were added and the noise went away. But using a mirror, I can see the nut on the passenger side has backed out at least a turn (I can see threads below it in about a 1/16th inch space). Maybe its just a matter of using locktite. The bummer is the entire strut has to be removed to tighten the shaft nut. Nobody else seems to have this problem, so don't worry too much. It's just been annoying and I grow bitter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts