Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Commander goes in tomorrow for what is possibly an Australian first - a 40mm (approx) lift with springs designed specifically for the Commander and front and rear shock / struts.

The springs are Dobinson springs. The springs that Dobinsons developed for the WH about a year ago have been used on the XH by some people here, but Dobinsons have redesigned the springs with a bit of extra load capacity (thicker wire) in the rear to specifically suit the XH. Dobinson traditionally claim their springs give a 25-30mm lif (1 - 1 1/4 inches) but experience shows they usually underquote by 10-15mm. The first set will go on my vehicle, and after a few weeks of testing / feedback will become freely available.

The shocks are the Bilsteins for the WH/XH/WK/XK released last month. First full shipment is due in Oz late October but this set has been air freighted so that they can be tested on a vehicle (mine) in Australian conditions before arriving en-masse in a few weeks time. AFAIK these are the first replacement front shocks released by anyone in the world, even ARB (Old man Emu) have probably given up trying at this stage and the Rancho's similarly have been promised "next month" for at least 6 months now.

Pictures of the car here
and
going through it's paces are here

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is done, will pick it up either late this evening or first thing tomorrow. Final figures are up by 60mm in the front and 70mm in the rear :eek: . I know Dobinsons underquote but wow - a trifle more than I'd imagined even so. Pics will be posted later on. Ride is reported as "more stable", guess I'll find out what that means soon.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looking forward to the pics, How many inches are in 60mm & 70mm?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a49erFootballFan said:
Looking forward to the pics, How many inches are in 60mm & 70mm?
50mm is 2" - so it's gone up about 2 1/2 inches. Sure hope the ESP still behaves itself. Soon find out I guess, I pick the car up in the morning.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Bomber said:
50mm is 2" - so it's gone up about 2 1/2 inches. Sure hope the ESP still behaves itself. Soon find out I guess, I pick the car up in the morning.
Anything under about 3.5" should not effect the ESP.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have the 2.5 RR lift as do many others in this forum and none of us have any issues with the ESP as a result of lifting our XK's

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No photos to upload yet, hopefully tomorrow. Car looks great and rides so much better. Less transmission of road surface changes / bumps through the body and less body roll (although the roll is different too, sitting up higher as it is). Overall I'm happy with the ride and reckon it will be money well spent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"After photos" - enjoy ;-). Installer is yet to email me the "install" photos, will post a couple of them up once I have them.

Did about 400kms this weekend on them (about 250miles), mostly twisty highway stuff along the Great Ocean Road and back through Great Dividing Range. Trip down was in good weather, trip back was in driving spring rains (visibility only about 200 yards at times). Handling of car now is amazing, so smooth on rough bitumen, great in corrugated dirt roads (think you guys call them washboard roads??) and waaay less body roll. Oh and it looks like a Jeep should now :D .

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're right, It looks like a real Jeep now. I would be interested if you lost the 1-2 mpg that a number of people have quoted here. Seems typical for that type of lift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UberCommander said:
A lift changes the air flow that passes under the commander which can cause increased drag. (I am winging it here, but I don't think I am to far off) :cool:
Now you tell me - I thought the economy would improve because I was now travelling in thinner air :p .

No visible sign yet as I didn't reset the trip computer, s'pose I could just to see.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Looking good Bomber. I like the bar on the front!

I also noticed the side turn signals on the front fenders. I like those. Dont have those on the 06' USA version.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Phunkey. Bar is the stock Jeep Australia one, surprised you guys can't get one similar. Clear lights are stocko too, look way better than the US version I reckon.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks great. Like many have already said, that should be the factory spec.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts