Jeep Commander Forum banner
201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Double Update...

Went to the dealer to figure out what the problem was. The service dept. called 2 hours later and said that the transfer case motor/module showed a code, but they cleared it and everything is working as it should. When I got there to pick up my Commander, the service rep asked if I knew how to put it into 4low, because "trying to engage 4low with the wrong procedure can result in a service code." I told him yes, and that I have to use 4low on a regular basis, especially if it rains (muddy roads). He said "well, sometimes those computers just get a little confused and a code pops up for no reason, that'll be $80."

While $80 buys a lot of beer, I'm glad my computer isn't confused anymore.
This gives me some hope. My situation is basically the same...Message randomly came on while driving, won't go into 4lo, no DTCs, and no other problems except the message popping up. I hope when I take mine in to get looked at, it only costs $80..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update. My service 4wd light has been on for a few weeks not full time. It's flickered since the day I bought the jeep. The dealer I bought it from says nothing is wrong back when it was under warranty. I now have 50k on the odometer, no warranty. I tried to schedule service with the dealer I bought the jeep from who wanted 53.00 for each module they upgraded, they said they would have to do at minimum the main and the final drive control module. I said, see ya. I scheduled mine for service this morning. Took it to a small town dealer an hours drive from the house. They explained they had never updated a commander but would be happy to help. (old school service, love that). I also explained if it needed anything, such as a motor or switch just let me know and I would replace it. He said fine.

After sitting in the waiting room only 15 minutes, the service manager came and explained, the mechanic has updated 3 computers so far and one of them is the final drive control module and it did fix the problem. The manager went on to say the mechanic had explained to him my commander has 23 computers on board and all 23 need updated. He explained it should only take a few more minutes. I stood and shook his hand and thanked him. 15 minutes later he came back, said I was good to go. Sent me to the cashier. Unbelievably the cashier handed me a bill for $37.50

How does anyone get 23 cpu's updated for 38 bucks. Wow.

Anyone want to make a drive. I would send my grand ma here. This dealer is Hunt Ford, Jeep and Chrysler. Located in Franklin, Ky 42134.

On the way home my outside temp indicator changes temp on the fly, amazing. can't wait to see my automatic wipers work properly and the headlights dim when they should.
And yes, no more service 4wd light. I'm so happy.

Again, my light would come on for 2 seconds per week on average while on the interstate since I bought my commander new. I took it to the dealer numerous times without any help, a large city dealer. I also complained of the outside temperature indicator not working properly. They did replace the sensor. I did explain there are tsb's from Chrysler that simply say to update the software. Their part replacement puts money in their pocket and does nothing to fix the problem. I've been living with the problem since I bought the jeep new. Only in the past few weeks the service 4wd indicator came on full time. When it came on full time the low range no longer works.

another issue i forgot, since new, the wipers would swipe one time at engine start in the garage. Above i mentioned wiper problems, also since i owned it during light rain on auto mode they would work fine until I accelerate hard then they would go to full speed until it quits raining or I shut them off then turn them back on. The update fixed both these issues also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

New to the forums, and glad that there is a great community to find help.

My fiance and I just purchased our Jeep Commander from a major dealer here in Arizona. San Tan Ford.

THe car just turned 30 days old, and in the 30 days of ownership, I had experienced a loud humming, grinding noise from the front under my seat ( dealer and others suspect the front drive shaft cv joint going bad )... we thought this was normal noise during our test drive and purchase... we got an apt for that on the 30th of November.

2nd) out of nowhere the JEEP threw a "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM" and wont let me in 4low ( not that i need it or even used it )

The code remained on the car for 2 days, then cleared it self then came back when i tried to test 4low again. Not sure exactly what is going on.

We are the 2nd Owners, the car came with 62K miles, was well maintained at least under inspection everything was immaculate.

I have until 90 days to buy extended warranty, or not really sure what to do. I paid the car off trough a bank check, now the question is what options do I have? I dont want my dealer to brush me off as oh deal with JEEP etc, or i got to fix a car i bought for family, or even pay for it...

What chances do i have they will service at no cost?

Is the "Service 4WD System" just a glitch that needs reflash as i read on other sources, or is this more of a serious system failure issue?

Should i take it back to San Tan Ford ( have an apt on the 30th ) or take it straight to jeep?

As far as warranty goes, the dealer gave me some warranty but not sure what options do i have?

IT is a 2009 4x4 Limited Commander 4.7l

Thank you all for input, and advice would really really help!

:crying:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Aleks, the first thing you should do is go to the Jeep website and check if your vehicle has had the N23 and P73 recalls done. Then come back here and let us know what you found.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Hello,

New to the forums, and glad that there is a great community to find help.

My fiance and I just purchased our Jeep Commander from a major dealer here in Arizona. San Tan Ford.

THe car just turned 30 days old, and in the 30 days of ownership, I had experienced a loud humming, grinding noise from the front under my seat ( dealer and others suspect the front drive shaft cv joint going bad )... we thought this was normal noise during our test drive and purchase... we got an apt for that on the 30th of November.

2nd) out of nowhere the JEEP threw a "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM" and wont let me in 4low ( not that i need it or even used it )

The code remained on the car for 2 days, then cleared it self then came back when i tried to test 4low again. Not sure exactly what is going on.

We are the 2nd Owners, the car came with 62K miles, was well maintained at least under inspection everything was immaculate.

I have until 90 days to buy extended warranty, or not really sure what to do. I paid the car off trough a bank check, now the question is what options do I have? I dont want my dealer to brush me off as oh deal with JEEP etc, or i got to fix a car i bought for family, or even pay for it...

What chances do i have they will service at no cost?

Is the "Service 4WD System" just a glitch that needs reflash as i read on other sources, or is this more of a serious system failure issue?

Should i take it back to San Tan Ford ( have an apt on the 30th ) or take it straight to jeep?

As far as warranty goes, the dealer gave me some warranty but not sure what options do i have?

IT is a 2009 4x4 Limited Commander 4.7l

Thank you all for input, and advice would really really help!

:crying:
Aleks, the key thing here is which 4WD system do you have?

If you have QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive II there is a good chance you need to have the P73 campaign completed because both of these 4WD systems use the NV245 transfer case which the P73 campaign applies to.

I can tell you from first-hand experience with this - you have the exact symptoms of needing the P73 campaign - reprogramming of your final drive control module - which is not being able to shift into 4 LOW.

If your Commander has already had the P73 campaign completed, then most likely, it's your transfer case actuator motor that is bad, which about a $750.00 repair.

You can also go to the Chrysler recall website and plug in your VIN number.

If P73 applies to your Commander, it will be listed there - and if it has been completed it should be annotated as such, with a date of completion listed

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

I can also tell you (those of you who may not be aware) that when you go to the safety recall website, you won't see P73 listed under safety recalls - because P73 is not a safety recall, it's actually a campaign and it's listed on the Chrysler safety recall website under campaigns. It's also not listed as P73 - it's actually listed as REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE in the form of a hyperlink.

When you click on the REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE hyperlink, then the P73 customer satisfaction notice comes up, which I have attached again to this post.

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

I've attached the P73 campaign notice below:

Attached Files: P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 46 views)

Here is a good thread where you can read about what I (and others) have experienced when confronting this P73 campaign:

Chrysler/ Jeep P73 Recall

There is a lot of good info in that thread.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Dealer Warranty

BUY IT FOR PIECE OF MIND. if you need a transfer case actuator at $750 take that out of the cost of the warranty and it looks better and the Dealer work won't get any cheaper.

Swanny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so I just confirmed that i got both N23 and P73 completed under my VIN.

Another update is the car does go into neutral, I can hear the motor working.... What is odd is that I inspected the motor and it shows 7-02-2015 date, Made in Mexico, along with something that says "WITH BRAKE" on a sticker on it. Buhler was the brand if I recall or spell it right.

I checked the wiring only to that actuator. What other wiring should I be checking? It is a 2009 4.7L Limited Commander.

So now i am stuck do i take this car back where i bought it from, or do i go to jeep and see if they are willing to re-flash the FDCM again.

BTW a friend who owns a car repair shop Confirmed code C140F.

Along with C1407, C140A, C1438, C1405.

If in case they replace the actuator - how long is the product/part covered for repeat repairs?

I heard individuals are getting refunds on the REPAIR or Replacement of the 4WD Motor ( actuator ) after starting a STAR Case...

Any input would be great, we just got this car for family and really felt in love with it... Not sure what else i can do at this point...

If i have to pay something I will demand the dealer that sold me covers it or I'll go crazy...

The only thing i done to the car was wash under the car from dirt that i accumulated going trough some mud. Could that caused it?

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
In my case, I was reimbursed for replacing the transfer-case actuator motor because the repair occurred before the P73 campaign came out - and I had all of my repair receipts to back-up my claim.

Since you have already had the recalls done - it could just be that your Transfer case actuator motor is actually bad - because they do go bad - or that some other component of the transfer case is bad and I do believe there are other actuator motors associated with the 4WD system other than the transfer case actuator motor.

You need to remember - you may have just bought it - but it's still essentially an 8 year old vehicle with 2017 being right around the corner. People seldom sell or trade in vehicles that are running great.

Since you have had it more then 30 days - depending on where you purchased it, you will probably have a hard time getting any kind of support from the place you bought it.

You might get some help if you bought from a reputable dealership - or a Jeep/Chrysler dealership.

If not, you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay for the repairs yourself - whatever they may be.

And no, I really doubt that washing the mud out from underneath your car had anything to do with it.

Trust me - you don't have it that bad.

Here are some issues I dealt with and what I had to get replaced when I bought my Commander - after actually finding out everything that was not working - or working intermittently, that I would classify as falling outside of normal maintenance:

1) Had to replace my radiator cap and battery within the first 6 weeks of ownership. The battery just completely died on me, without any warning or prior issues (while out in the woods no less). This may be classified as routine maintenance, but, it's certainly not something I would have expected to do within the first 6 weeks of buying a new "used" vehicle. The radiator cap wasn't sealing properly and would leak coolant when hot, I discovered this problem after about 3 weeks of ownership and finding very small puddles of coolant on the ground after being parked a couple of hours after driving. The coolant was almost clear, so, it took me a few days to figure out, that it was actually coolant I was looking at. I guess I still had in the recesses of my mind, that anti-freeze/coolant is green, LOL. What can I say, I'm old school.

2) After about 2 months of ownership, I had to replace the actuator motor on the Transfer case after getting the dreaded "service 4WD System" warning while trying to shift into 4-LOW which I was unable to do. That was about a $780 repair, when you add in the initial diagnostic trouble-shooting charge of $120.00. I found out after the fact, that my vehicle did not have the P73 campaign done (reprogramming the FDCM) done - because it hadn't come out yet, which, as it turns out, was the fix for this issue. I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Chrysler and was paid in full within 2 weeks - there is a thread about this on this forum (I believe it is titled P73 recall) where I explained how to submit the claim for reimbursement to Chysler.

3) The radio display for the back-up camera video, would not display usable video from the back-up camera while backing up. This was an intermittent problem, when I first bought the Commander it worked fine, but within a couple of days, my radio display would no longer show usable back-up camera video, it would display it extremely dimly, so dim that the radio display almost looked completely black, as if it wasn't working at all. The radio display itself, for radio related functions, worked just fine. As time wore on, sometimes the display would display back-up camera video - and sometimes it would not - most of the time, it would not - and when it did decide to work properly where I could actually see usable video from the back-up camera, it would only be for very short periods of time. First, I replaced the back-up camera. This was the cheaper repair of the two repair options I had (replacing the radio was the other), and of course, it didn't solve the issue. Eventually I had to replace the entire radio - that solved the problem. A rebuilt/reconditioned radio from the dealership (which is all you can get now - they no longer sell them brand new) is still almost $1000.00 by itself - 900 and change as I recall.

4) Satellite radio did not work. Initially, I thought this was just because I didn't have an active subsciption that was paid for. However, after I called SiriusXM, gave them my radio information and enrolled and paid for service, I found out that the Satellite radio, in fact, was not working. I was still unable to acquire a satellite signal after numerous attempts. The Jeep dealership found after troubleshooting, that the cable running from the satellite radio, to the satellite radio antenna - which is routed up through the headliner to the satellite antenna on the roof - had a break in it. The Jeep dealership said that they found no evidence that anyone had ever removed, or tampered with the headliner before. So, explain to me how the hell that happened? I had to replace the satellite radio cable & satellite radio antenna, because you can not buy one component without the other. This was another $1000.00 repair job plus another $120.00 for the initial troubleshooting. Most of that was labor. The parts themselves, were fairly cheap.

5) Back-up sensor kept shorting out and disabling itself; I wound up having to replace the back-up sensor. This is the one problem that I know that happened after I bought the vehicle. I didn't experience any problems at all with the park assist/back-up sensor until I had it for about 6 months.

Once I had all these issues fixed to where everything was working properly, then I was finally able to focus on maintenance, and eventually upgrades.

Now the bigger question is, was my experience typical?

I really can't answer that question but some issues - like the not being able to shift into 4-LOW, is a well-documented problem that I would say is common with Commanders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my case, I was reimbursed for replacing the transfer-case actuator motor because the repair occurred before the P73 campaign came out - and I had all of my repair receipts to back-up my claim.

Since you have already had the recalls done - it could just be that your Transfer case actuator motor is actually bad - because they do go bad - or that some other component of the transfer case is bad and I do believe there are other actuator motors associated with the 4WD system other than the transfer case actuator motor.

You need to remember - you may have just bought it - but it's still essentially an 8 year old vehicle with 2017 being right around the corner. People seldom sell or trade in vehicles that are running great.

Since you have had it more then 30 days - depending on where you purchased it, you will probably have a hard time getting any kind of support from the place you bought it.

You might get some help if you bought from a reputable dealership - or a Jeep/Chrysler dealership.

If not, you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay for the repairs yourself - whatever they may be.

And no, I really doubt that washing the mud out from underneath your car had anything to do with it.

Trust me - you don't have it that bad.

Here are some issues I dealt with and what I had to get replaced when I bought my Commander - after actually finding out everything that was not working - or working intermittently, that I would classify as falling outside of normal maintenance:

1) Had to replace my radiator cap and battery within the first 6 weeks of ownership. The battery just completely died on me, without any warning or prior issues (while out in the woods no less). This may be classified as routine maintenance, but, it's certainly not something I would have expected to do within the first 6 weeks of buying a new "used" vehicle. The radiator cap wasn't sealing properly and would leak coolant when hot, I discovered this problem after about 3 weeks of ownership and finding very small puddles of coolant on the ground after being parked a couple of hours after driving. The coolant was almost clear, so, it took me a few days to figure out, that it was actually coolant I was looking at. I guess I still had in the recesses of my mind, that anti-freeze/coolant is green, LOL. What can I say, I'm old school.

2) After about 2 months of ownership, I had to replace the actuator motor on the Transfer case after getting the dreaded "service 4WD System" warning while trying to shift into 4-LOW which I was unable to do. That was about a $780 repair, when you add in the initial diagnostic trouble-shooting charge of $120.00. I found out after the fact, that my vehicle did not have the P73 campaign done (reprogramming the FDCM) done - because it hadn't come out yet, which, as it turns out, was the fix for this issue. I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Chrysler and was paid in full within 2 weeks - there is a thread about this on this forum (I believe it is titled P73 recall) where I explained how to submit the claim for reimbursement to Chysler.

3) The radio display for the back-up camera video, would not display usable video from the back-up camera while backing up. This was an intermittent problem, when I first bought the Commander it worked fine, but within a couple of days, my radio display would no longer show usable back-up camera video, it would display it extremely dimly, so dim that the radio display almost looked completely black, as if it wasn't working at all. The radio display itself, for radio related functions, worked just fine. As time wore on, sometimes the display would display back-up camera video - and sometimes it would not - most of the time, it would not - and when it did decide to work properly where I could actually see usable video from the back-up camera, it would only be for very short periods of time. First, I replaced the back-up camera. This was the cheaper repair of the two repair options I had (replacing the radio was the other), and of course, it didn't solve the issue. Eventually I had to replace the entire radio - that solved the problem. A rebuilt/reconditioned radio from the dealership (which is all you can get now - they no longer sell them brand new) is still almost $1000.00 by itself - 900 and change as I recall.

4) Satellite radio did not work. Initially, I thought this was just because I didn't have an active subsciption that was paid for. However, after I called SiriusXM, gave them my radio information and enrolled and paid for service, I found out that the Satellite radio, in fact, was not working. I was still unable to acquire a satellite signal after numerous attempts. The Jeep dealership found after troubleshooting, that the cable running from the satellite radio, to the satellite radio antenna - which is routed up through the headliner to the satellite antenna on the roof - had a break in it. The Jeep dealership said that they found no evidence that anyone had ever removed, or tampered with the headliner before. So, explain to me how the hell that happened? I had to replace the satellite radio cable & satellite radio antenna, because you can not buy one component without the other. This was another $1000.00 repair job plus another $120.00 for the initial troubleshooting. Most of that was labor. The parts themselves, were fairly cheap.

5) Back-up sensor kept shorting out and disabling itself; I wound up having to replace the back-up sensor. This is the one problem that I know that happened after I bought the vehicle. I didn't experience any problems at all with the park assist/back-up sensor until I had it for about 6 months.

Once I had all these issues fixed to where everything was working properly, then I was finally able to focus on maintenance, and eventually upgrades.

Now the bigger question is, was my experience typical?

I really can't answer that question but some issues - like the not being able to shift into 4-LOW, is a well-documented problem that I would say is common with Commanders.
Yeah man it sounds like you had it bad... and thats like owning a brand new car with issues out of the gate. I am surprised that FCA did not take care of you throughout the whole process..

I bought a 2013 5.0 Mustang from the same dealership that i got the jeep from and within first few months of ownership i had to replace the battery. They did take care of me tho...

As far as our commander goes - I want to keep it so should i bite the bullet and order a third party 4wd motor? What chances are that my TC is shot? Or Clutches burnt?

is the $255-380 3rd Party Dorman Actuator good? I

I can install it ( mechanic by hobby ) and then take to repogram ( reset ) and good to go?

Ill see if I can make FORD Pay for it, if not ill buy it and submit a claim and see what happens... I am so tired of this bs... but you are right it could be worse, we fell in love with the car, and it was pure joy to ride on the trail here in AZ.

So i want to fix it, I do have a friend that owns a professional car shop so... Only question is do i need to go to the dealer after I install the new 4wd motor and clear the codes?

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Oh and to add one final question. What really was the issue the bad motor, or a broken FDCM? If i replace a motor should this permanently fix the issue?
The only way to know for certain is to take it to a Chrysler/Jeep dealership and have them run a diagnostic on it which will probably cost you about $120.00 just for the diagnostic test.

If you really plan on keeping your XK, it might be in your best interest to do some research, read reviews and see if you can find a reputable Jeep dealership that's not too far from you. Even if you plan on doing some of the work yourself, at some point you will need service and/or tools and diagnostic equipment that only a Jeep Dealership will have.

I have done alot of the cosmetic work on my XK myself, along with some electrical wiring for lights and what not, but ANYTHING mechanical, I take it to my local Jeep dealership - which happens to be a very good one. They have done all of the repair and maintenance work on my XK since I bought it and they know how well I take care of it.

Yes, it costs money - but it has also given me an excellent rapport with them, I have 2 mechanics that I always see and it's always one of those 2 that work on it. They know everything that has been done to it, so, when I bring it in for something, they jump right on it, no questions asked and no hassles - and I know if I were to ever have a problem with any work they have done (which I haven't) they will stand behind their work and take care of it.

I think when you have a new "used" vehicle and aren't really sure what you are getting into, this is the best approach.

Just my 2 cents

201 - 211 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.