Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would strongly advise against the 4x2. If you were in the deep south, then 4x2 would be fine, but in Michigan, not only would I pay the extra $2400 to have it for bad weather, but you're going to killed on resale value if you ever decided to trade/sell it.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
my nissan 300ZX in rear wheeled.

i drive it in up to 6" of snow. then it starts to plow snow. in case you care.

if you are going to get a jeep. get a 4x4.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm sorry but I have a 4x4 so can't confirm the capabilities of the 4x2. I would imagine that it would be comparable or better than many other 2wd SUV's out there. The Chrysler ESP (traction control) is actually of Mercedes Benz engineering and does a fantastic job.

·
Registered
473 Posts
unless you have a back-up plan for transportation when it gets really bad and you can afford to get slaughtered on trade-in then i would get the 4x4. the 4x2 may be better than most in snow (i have a 4x4) i doubt it will get you everywhere you need to go as bad as it can get in michigan.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree a 4x2 Commander can't compete with any of the 4x4 Commanders in the snow, but with a good set of snow tires and some common sense a 4x2 Commander should be pretty reliable transportation. I've been successfully driving front and rear wheel drive vehicles for more than 25 years with that approach in upstate New York and New England. I didn't get the QDII Commander for the winters, but for an excuse to take it off some of the roads.

Wasn't there another thread where someone was frustrated with their Murano (or the Infiniti version) in the snow? The problem probably wasn't so much with Nissan's 4x4 system but the sport oriented tires. There are clearly some vehicles you don't want to get caught in a snow storm in, but a 4x2 Commander isn't one of them.

Our LEO friends here, would you rather have your Crown Vic's and Chargers in the snow or a 4x2 Commander?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used to have a Mercedes C280, which was RWD, and had ESP. One day, I was driving through and ice storm in Georgia and couldn't drive faster than 25 mph on the freeway. People were PO'd big time. Every time I tried to go faster, the rear wheels would start to slip and the ESP would turn on and not let me go faster. People in FWD Hynduai's were flying by me flipping the finger. I hated it. Long story short... get the 4x4. Don't jeopardize your safety with 4x2.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I agrre with all of you guys. I live in south Florida and dont have to use 4X4. But if you live in a plave that needs it, I would suggest getting it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Might be most helpful if anyone that had a 2wd commander could chime in for him. Although, I realize that most people dealing with both Commanders and snow own a 4wd so it might be hard for him to get that feedback.

·
Registered
452 Posts
RedCommander said:
Might be most helpful if anyone that had a 2wd commander could chime in for him. Although, I realize that most people dealing with both Commanders and snow own a 4wd so it might be hard for him to get that feedback.
Funny RedCommander. I'm down here in the south as well, in good ol Texas. We're prone to having heavy rain and floodings... as well as congested traffic (yes, we tend to jump off the freeways w/ our trucks/SUVs, and drive onto the feeder roads instead). The XK has been no disappointment while driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PHOENIX AZ. I never go offroad. we get < 7" of rain a year and I haven't seen snow in 10 years. I got the 4x2 ! (with the sunroof of course!)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
chuckdesign said:
PHOENIX AZ. I never go offroad. we get < 7" of rain a year and I haven't seen snow in 10 years. I got the 4x2 ! (with the sunroof of course!)
No snow in ten years? You have to venture a few miles out of the valley every now and then. :D I have lived here three years and I have seen snow every winter. My Commander got to play in it in Flagstaff last year and also saw snow in Tucson (up on Mt. Lemmon), and I have taken my Cherokee playing in the snow up off SR87 each year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts