Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Tonya J. and I have had problems with my 2010 Jeep Commander Hemi 4x4 5.7 Liter. I purchased this Jeep January 6, 2020 and it was driving fine all of a sudden I hit a pot hole and it was jerking and hesitating come to find out there was a washer trying to go into the door of the throttle body thank God my husband got it out in time so that problem was fixed and it started driving back smoothly couldn’t even hear it run and next thing I know the engine light comes on and look like all hell brakes a loose 6th cyclinder misfire so changed all spark plugs and coils and the a bunch of sensors haven’t changed the O2 sensors or the mass airflow sensor yet but I changed the 6th fuel injector and it is still vibrating from the back and engine light still on.Help. Quick question is the Mass Airflow Sensor and the MAP sensor the same or not because the MAP sensor has been changed so someone explain this to me I have spent entirely too much money in this vehicle. Thank you, Tonya J.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello my name is Tonya J. and I have had problems with my 2010 Jeep Commander Hemi 4x4 5.7 Liter. I purchased this Jeep January 6, 2020 and it was driving fine all of a sudden I hit a pot hole and it was jerking and hesitating come to find out there was a washer trying to go into the door of the throttle body thank God my husband got it out in time so that problem was fixed and it started driving back smoothly couldn’t even hear it run and next thing I know the engine light comes on and look like all hell brakes a loose 6th cyclinder misfire so changed all spark plugs and coils and the a bunch of sensors haven’t changed the O2 sensors or the mass airflow sensor yet but I changed the 6th fuel injector and it is still vibrating from the back and engine light still on.Help. Quick question is the Mass Airflow Sensor and the MAP sensor the same or not because the MAP sensor has been changed so someone explain this to me I have spent entirely too much money in this vehicle. Thank you, Tonya J.
So, if there was a washer sitting ready to go into the intake, where is the nut or screw that held the washer in place before that? I'd find some one with a Borescope and look in 6th cylinder.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The MAP and MAS are not the same, HOWEVER- the 5.7's don't have a Mass Air Sensor since they have an electronically controlled throttle.
Up4XK is probably right....WHY was there a washer in your throttle body? Have you guys always done the work on it, or has it gone to shops?

O2 sensors won't matter here, so save yourself the time/money on those.
Is the 6th cyl misfire your ONLY code that comes up? How did the 6th cyl plug look when you took it out? Wet, shiny, beat up like something was bouncing around in there? Worse,other?
Lot's of free/cheap tests you can do still with the tools rent-able from auto parts stores:
-- Do a compression test on each cylinder (if any cylinder fails, look into a borescope like up4XK suggested and see if you can figure out why)
-- Pull the intake manifold off and see if anything is caught in the valves, and if anything ELSE is rattling around in the intake
-- Noid Light test (checking that the injectors are receiving voltage to fire)
-- Pull the coils and stick a spark plug in them, ground to chassis/engine somewhere and make sure they are firing

What do you mean "I changed the 6th fuel injector and it is still vibrating from the back"? the injector is vibrating? Or you just replaced the injector and the engine is still running really bad because of the dead cylinder, ie vibrating...?

The 2010s are after the valve seat issue was fixed, plus you are able to actually start your engine, AND you are actually getting error codes, so at least you don't have to worry about the valve seat. HOWEVER......you could have a failed lifter. Cyl 6 is one of the MDS cylinders...sooo....could be an MDS solenoid or anything related to that. I don't remember if those fail open or closed, though. Good thing with THAT....if is was an MDS failure and NOT a lifter failure, the solenoids are easy to get to (right under the intake manifold on the top of the engine block.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information.I have another question which MDS sensor would you change if the 6th cylinder is misfiring

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the information.I have another question which MDS sensor would you change if the 6th cylinder is misfiring
MDS shuts off 4 of the cylinders. There is a MDS solenoid for each of those 4 cylinders. Come to think of it, others on this forum have found that a fresh oil change have eliminated some misfires in the Hemi. The MDS and VVT both require correct and well maintained engine oil. I would still suspect something in that 6th cylinder.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There isn't an "MDS sensor"....the MDS system just piggy-backs off of a lot of other standard engine sensors looking for the right combination of data to activate or deactivate. Oil Pressure, Engine Temp, Engine Load, Gas Pedal Applied Pressure, Vehicle Speed, etc....

If you meant which MDS solenoid, which is what will deactivate the lifters when active....well, it'd be the one right over cyl 6, Passenger rear of the 4.

Do you have a code for that solenoid? Looks like it might be a P3341. Don't go changing these solenoids unless you know for sure that's the case. They are plastic, and old, and therefore brittle...they are pretty common to break when trying to replace these days.
Here's a post from the LX forums with more info about this job, including broken solenoid infos- Tackling MDS solenoid replacement

You haven't answered any of the questions we're asking you trying to help....help us help you! ;)

EDIT: added link

·
Registered
144 Posts
MDS shuts off 4 of the cylinders. There is a MDS solenoid for each of those 4 cylinders. Come to think of it, others on this forum have found that a fresh oil change have eliminated some misfires in the Hemi. The MDS and VVT both require correct and well maintained engine oil. I would still suspect something in that 6th cylinder.
Ehhh, while yea an oil change does cause/fix a lot of various MDS issues, usually because of the wrong oil viscosity...oil type or quality should never cause a misfire, you'd be getting specific oil pressure, oil viscosity and/or oil type DTC codes...the MDS system is by default off, so all cylinders firing. When the MDS system is malfunctioning because of OIL, it just won't deactivate anything.
I ONLY mention the MDS solenoid as a rare possibility because they do control those lifters, I stated before that I don't think these solenoids can fail in a way to cause a lifter to deactivate and cause a misfire....again, why I keep expressing the need for more info for DTC codes.

In short- oil getting into the cylinder or under the coil pack and shorting out a plug due to a bad head gasket or valve cover gasket is about the only way anything oil related (ie- fixing after an oil change) could cause a misfire....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just went through a misfire, shaking engine etc. a few months ago. It was running fine then all of a sudden it began to misfire, shake and had no power. I scanned it and got numerous codes. Cam sensor, crank sensor, bad coils on several cylinders, O2's etc. etc.

I started with the sensors because they were cheap and they were the first codes. No change. Even though I had just changed the plugs, I checked them. All were perfect. After doing some reading and as there were codes for several coil packs not firing, I bit the bullet and bought MSD's. No change. I had replaced some of the O2's last year when I did the exhaust but not all. After replacing the driver's front, problem solved.

If the engine is not physically damaged, it most likely is a bad O2 and a scan should reveal a code.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just went through a misfire, shaking engine etc. a few months ago. It was running fine then all of a sudden it began to misfire, shake and had no power. I scanned it and got numerous codes. Cam sensor, crank sensor, bad coils on several cylinders, O2's etc. etc.

I started with the sensors because they were cheap and they were the first codes. No change. Even though I had just changed the plugs, I checked them. All were perfect. After doing some reading and as there were codes for several coil packs not firing, I bit the bullet and bought MSD's. No change. I had replaced some of the O2's last year when I did the exhaust but not all. After replacing the driver's front, problem solved.

If the engine is not physically damaged, it most likely is a bad O2 and a scan should reveal a code.
Well...i take back my first reply about O2s not being a concern, then!
I could see how a bad O2 could cause the engine to run bad, but not misfire. Maybe it feels like a misfire, lol.
Really weird that it would also throw all those other sensor codes....
I know for a fact the Front O2s (or Upstream, or Sensor 1 on both Banks 1 & 2) are the only ones that do any actual controlling. The rears are only there to make sure the catalysts are working properly, because of emissions standards.
Now if only OP would get back to us with their codes....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, I thought the O2 was the least likey culprit. $700 later I wish I had started with it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, I thought the O2 was the least likey culprit. $700 later I wish I had started with it.
Ouch.....well, at least you now have MSDs, lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Jeep Commander family and Jeep Commander nation.So I had the 4 MDS sensors installed and the 4 O2 sensors and the engine light is still on and it’s blinking like it wants to go off but it want. I still have the vibration in the back of Jeep like I have jake brakes on the back and now I am having the same vibration in the front is this a possibility that my drive shaft is having some type of mechanical problem. I have changed every sensor imaginable that you can think of under my hood so next step is changing the fuel injectors already changed 1 and 7 more to go.It’s not the push rod or springs so can someone help me out with this problem.Signing off Tonya J.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts