Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between the different 4wd systems on the commanders?
i saw some that have the low range buttons by the shifter. mine does not. i do not do any off roading and will only use it for winter driving and maybe the occasional trail run when spotting deer or going camping. no rock climbing or mudding.
the salesman told me the button on the dash would de-activate the traction control and lock all four wheels in case you were stuck somewhere. is this true?
sorry but i haven't had time to read my owners manual and i would probably get a better understanding from someone with experience.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The Commander has electronic limited slip differentials, not lockers. ELSDs are superior for 4WD vehicles that are biased towards on-road use (Grand Cherokee, Commander). Lockers are better for vehicles that are biased towards off-road use (Wrangler Rubicon)

The low range lever drops the vehicle into low gearing. Low gearing provides more torque and less speed which will help you in slippery situations.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If your XK does not have a "Trail Rated" badge on the left front fender (US models):

You have a 3.7L engine w/ a W5A580 Automatic five-speed overdrive transmission and a single-speed full-time NV140 Transfer case which has an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52. This is closer to many car based SUV AWD systems.

There are two "Trail Rated" systems for US models:

These use a 4.7L and 5.7L engines w/ a 545RFE Automatic multi-speed transmission and a two-speed electronically shifted NV245 Transfer case which has 4x4 low (lock), neutral and full-time active 4x4 with an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52. Quadra-Drive II adds ELSD which is Electronic Limited Slip Differentials. These are considered true 4WD systems which is why they are trail rated.

For what you described you should be fine w/ an AWD system.

XKPearl:)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine is not the trail rated version. it does have the 3.7 and 5 spd auto.

this is my wifes vehicle. i have a 96 chevy 4x4 5.7L.
i keep mine on the road also except for hunting trips on trails and don't have any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.