Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a couple threads on this topic already but I think we need one more. I received my skid plate from 4xGuard on Friday and only had enough time to paint it this weekend. The paint job was quick and turned out.......lets call it good enough for a skid plate. I used some of the paint I had left from my grill guard job. I will post more pics of it installed but here it is protecting my work table from rocks and high centering. I would also like to add that anyone who off roads without this should get it for sure 100%!!! The quality in the construction is a lot better than I though from the pictures on the 4xGuard website. The design is great and it will cover the vulnerable exhaust and transmission parts that Mopar seems to have forgotten need a skid plate.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Here are a couple teasers of the 4XGuard on my Commander:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Wife caught me drooling over your pic and I was informed "No" :( I hadn't even asked yet...

Looks great!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wife caught me drooling over your pic and I was informed "No" :( I hadn't even asked yet...

Looks great!
Funny how that works.....happens to me a lot when my wife looks over my shoulder when im on here.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does this guard come in two pieces?

also, did you paints it just so it matches your other skid plates, or does it NEED to be painted to keep from rusting?
I can not tell from the photos if it is just bare metal or is painted gray/silver when you got it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it does come in two pieces. This is mainly because there are slight variations in one hole location so the two can adjust for a nice tight fit. It doesn't need to be painted but it will help protect it. They come yellow zinc plated from 4xGuard. It is a good plating job that should hold up to anything especially scrapes and scratches but if you don't paint it there will be a big shiny hunk of steel on the bottom of the XK.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It doesn't need to be painted but it will help protect it. They come yellow zinc plated from 4xGuard. It is a good plating job that should hold up to anything especially scrapes and scratches but if you don't paint it there will be a big shiny hunk of steel on the bottom of the XK.
I left mine unpainted that away it will be easy to find me when I roll over:)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I too left mine unpainted but do not intend to roll the XK :)

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That skid plate looks very good and cover what the stock one misses ...

How much you paid for it? ,, how much does it weight ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey adamag25 - how did the install go, if you've gotten around to it yet. I ordered mine yesterday and I'm wondering if it is as simple as the instructions on their website make it seem, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no install yet. This weekend is when I plan on it so hopefully it will go well. I know Uber has done the install already and has some pointers so maybe you can PM him or he will post here with his knowledge of the product. He told me that the most important step to remember is to put the front part of the belly guard between the front skid plate and the cross member that it bolts to.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Uber and I got ours at the same time, really easy install. No drilling you use existing bolt holes with 4X's hardware. It took me 30-45 minutes. Adam is right on about reversing the 4X skid with the factory, makes it smoother under there. You will understand when you look at it. I ran mine quite awhile before the lift, and would drag on everything with no damage, good product.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I too put mine on in less than an hour, you will have to troubles.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mine ships next week - and since it is only traveling about 60 miles from Denver to Colorado Springs, I should be installing next weekend, I'll post pics.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like the 4Xguard but im just a little sceptical on the fact that it all bolts together...just seems not to sturdy...just my .02
I thought the same thing when I looked at the pics. Trust me, when you see it in person you will change your mind. The design and build of the plate is great. My install will be later today.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Any update on the install? Mine got here yesterday - takes longer for Fedex to deliver from Denver to Colorado Springs than I thought :) I also just picked up my front skid plate from the dealer since I had the stock plastic one - hope to install both this week.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts