Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've test-fit the 4xGuard Matrix to my XK, and it WILL (note below) work, folks. First some pictures, then some description:

First off, I should note that this is the prototype Matrix, and that it has been painted to match the body color. The uprights and hoop on the production model come powdercoated black (as these once were). The production model is also a bit nicer all around regarding welds and a few little touches (the crossplate, which is silver here, is particularly nicer on the production model).

Anyway, the scoop here is that the first few models of the Matrix that are coming off the line would require an XK owner to shave back some non-showing metal (on the back of the uprights, actually) in order to get the full brushguard system to hug the bumper. Not a big deal (took me a half-hour being careful), but still a pain. This will NOT be the case shortly, however! 4xGuard is redesigning the Matrix in order to accomodate us XKers in addition to the WKers (a sign of things to come, I hope). I think the Matrix might already be on backorder, and the next lot will have the redesign. So VERY soon it'll fit perfectly.

Happily, the Matrix will be entirely bolt-on for us at that point -- slipping right in where the factory tow hooks go -- with one exception: If you want the optional receiver mount, you will have to make a slight fascia modification.

This is the basic Matrix kit with the optional receiver, mounted on my XK. As you can see, I've had to cut the fascia in order to accomodate the hitch:

That's it right there. Slice out that little rectangle and the "support" below it and you've got a bolt-on beauty of a receiver in addition to shackle mounts and -- if you get the uprights -- a usable brushguard, multiple light tabs, and a whole lot of style.

One last thing to note is that unless you can bend pipe I would NOT suggest getting the tubular "wings" that are available for the Matrix. They are designed for the WK and don't adapt very well to our beloved XKs.

Other than that, though, 'tis gravy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
that's really what I want .. optional hitch receiver .
awesome .. thank you for sharing of pictures

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're welcome! Glad it was helpful for you.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I really really REALLY like this. I have two questions before I am completely sold on it. Both are related to a current mod that I have but here goes... I have a winch mount on the front of my XK already but I was looking for a nice brush guard/light bar. It looks like the winch mount would fit perfectly in the area where the crossplate is. Is the crossplate removable and is there anything behind it that goes from one side to the other? and can you give a measurement of the space between the two uprights?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
OK, one more question....Will the brush rails work on the XK?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very nice but I suppose this won't work with a Warn Powerplant?

·
Registered
422 Posts
hey adamag...I have dibs on your winch mount plate if you go with this...lol

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
hey adamag...I have dibs on your winch mount plate if you go with this...lol
It sounds like he's trying to keep his existing setup and add the 4xguard matrix.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is 22" from upright to upright, and because it's all modular you could not bolt in the crossplate. There's nothing behind that. Your only lateral supports at that point -- for good or bad -- would be the XK crossmember behind the fascia and the hoop. I'd be a little concerned about losing the side-to-side strength if I was yanking really hard laterally on the D-rings, but I tend toward over-building for such things (runs in the family).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, one more question....Will the brush rails work on the XK?
I think I mentioned this in the write-up, but they are designed for the WK. Thus they will not fit without doing one of the following:

1. Shortening the rail. I can't remember for sure, but I think the hitting point was near the corner of the vehicle. So you'd go "stubby" on it.

2. Bending the rail to fit the XK contours, which will booger up the powdercoating.

3. Shimming the rail mounting point to angle it forward a bit, which might not look right (I don't know).

4. Mounting the Matrix in the forward position (it's adjustable), setting it off the bumper by an inch or so. I think everything would clear at that point, but it would reduce your approach angle slightly and IMHO wouldn't look as nice as it does cinched up to the vehicle.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice but I suppose this won't work with a Warn Powerplant?
Well, as a winch mounting point I should think it would depend entirely on the strength of both your portable winch cradle and your back.

And to be shifting one of those hulking Powerplant thingies around you better be the Hulk.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Thanks El Cid, My plan would be to tie the uprights to my existing winch mount that would act like the crossplate. I will have to measure my winch mount but my initial thought is that it will work perfectly. Sorry I missed the part about the brush rails. It sounds like it would be easier to custom build a set of rails then to mod the 4X ones to fit.

GetNby, no such luck there. I am going to have that winch mount until either me or the XK dies. There is one for sale on the forum.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just trying to get a leg up on the competition...dont have the moolah for it at the moment...jsut figured Id give it a stab for the future...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks El Cid, My plan would be to tie the uprights to my existing winch mount that would act like the crossplate. I will have to measure my winch mount but my initial thought is that it will work perfectly. Sorry I missed the part about the brush rails. It sounds like it would be easier to custom build a set of rails then to mod the 4X ones to fit.
I'll be interested to hear if the dimensions look like they'll work for you. As for those rails, I can take a second look at them in a few days and try to get folks some more specifics on how close they are and whether some of my solutions above are feasible.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
GRRRRRRRR! So close but so far away. The measurement is 24" on the winch mount.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bummer. I'll have to search the forum to see just what you're facing.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
El Cid - Is that the only place to mount the lights? Is there a way to mount them on the inside of the bar?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Dag gummit... got busted by the wife drooling over El Cid's mods... got the stink eye... :( Well I need tires more then these but looks great.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
El Cid - Is that the only place to mount the lights? Is there a way to mount them on the inside of the bar?
Can you be more specific? You mean like on top of the front crossplate? If so, there aren't dedicated tabs there, no. And I'd avoid mounting much in front of the radiator on an XK, myself.

For what it's worth, there are dedicated mounting points underneath the crossplate. You'd need flat lights there, but I think it might look sweet (haven't tried it on mine yet.)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts