Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my rock rails from 4x guard and they will be going on Saturday.

Anything I should watch out for on the install? It seems pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Drill the holes in the rocker while the rails are in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a right angle drill. Have extra bits around just in case.

Good luck and post some pics!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I got my rock rails from 4x guard and they will be going on Saturday.

Anything I should watch out for on the install? It seems pretty straight forward.
Yeah, anything and everything that could possibly go wrong, will go wrong. You need to send those 4x guard rock rails to me!!!!!!! haha jk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd need a right angle drill. I suppose it could make things easier, but I certainly didn't use one for mine. All in all, it really is a straight-forward install, so long as you don't drop the rail on your foot.

Not that I've, um, ever done that.

You've probably seen it, but there's a thread with pictures of the guards installed on my rig; it may help you situate things.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just hope there's not too much dirty snow packed in there when I get into it on Saturday:eyemouth: Maybe I'll turn on the heat in my garage:icon_aetsch:

I hope to be able to hit a Camp Commander next year again, and test these out; along with some other projects I may get to this winter...

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd need a right angle drill. I suppose it could make things easier, but I certainly didn't use one for mine. All in all, it really is a straight-forward install, so long as you don't drop the rail on your foot.

Not that I've, um, ever done that.

You've probably seen it, but there's a thread with pictures of the guards installed on my rig; it may help you situate things.
I know this is an apples to oranges comparison (the mounting was essentially the same) but with my Get Lost rails the farthest forward hole required a right angle drill - Tymac can testify to this...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a right angle drill chuck, it's about 40 years old but still works fine. I also have a nut riveter tool - like a pop rivet gun only for nutserts. Don't know why my dad even had it in his tool box - I don't think he would have ever done anything that required one...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was no trouble getting these on.

Thoughts:
Seems very sturdy, easy to install, comes close to the stock appearance, works well as a step versus the plastic ones, and no ground clearance is lost (versus some of the other bars/sliders/etc).

The gaps front and rear (for WK bodywork) are more than I remember seeing when I saw these on El Cid's rig in Colorado and the length is not quite right for the Commander - it comes up a little short in front.

I might add some grip tape to the top of these to aid as a step.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any way you can get some pics from the side of these? I was a little scared of the gaps on the front and back as well. I'd like to see them on your rig since I also have a silver commander. Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a number of pics of them in another thread about them. See the link in my signature below.

My rig is red, though. Sorry.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any way you can get some pics from the side of these? I was a little scared of the gaps on the front and back as well. I'd like to see them on your rig since I also have a silver commander. Thanks!
Sorry to take so long getting back.

Anywho, here are a few more shots. Don't mind the salt...

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
El Cid, or anyone in the know, why are they short? Are yours short Chuck?
Anyone else? Maybe they need to be rebuilt.
They don't fit properly because they are made for the Grand Cherokee not the Commander.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They don't fit properly because they are made for the Grand Cherokee not the Commander.
Keep in mind, however, that the lack of fitment we're talking about is essentially aesthetic: the gaps are where the Commander body has a different shape than the Grand Cherokee body. As far as the actual mounting and protection goes, they fit perfectly.

As I've said elsewhere, it may be that 4xGuard will eventually produce a model that fits the same but is redesigned to fit the XK body and thus eliminate the gaps. I know it has been discussed, but nothing has been planned. I'm pushing for it, though (along with some other XK-specific mods).

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Keep in mind, however, that the lack of fitment we're talking about is essentially aesthetic: the gaps are where the Commander body has a different shape than the Grand Cherokee body. As far as the actual mounting and protection goes, they fit perfectly.

As I've said elsewhere, it may be that 4xGuard will eventually produce a model that fits the same but is redesigned to fit the XK body and thus eliminate the gaps. I know it has been discussed, but nothing has been planned. I'm pushing for it, though (along with some other XK-specific mods).
Glad you're happy with the way they fit but I would never put something that doesn't look correct (in my opinion) on my vehicle.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Calling someone else's vehicle modification "crappy" strikes me as insulting and completely out-of-line, jeep5253.

If you have a beef with a product, just don't get it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Calling someone else's vehicle modification "crappy" strikes me as insulting and completely out-of-line, jeep5253.

If you have a beef with a product, just don't get it yourself.
Just my honest opinion of the way that fitment looks. Others' opinions may vary.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Keep in mind, however, that the lack of fitment we're talking about is essentially aesthetic:
I would never put something that doesn't look correct (in my opinion) on my vehicle.
I would not want these for the same reason. They will do the job, but I want them to look like they belong on my vehicle if I am going to install them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's fair. As I said, don't get something you don't want. No reason to rip others for their equally fair choices.

Anyway, thanks for revising your post to take out the insult, jeep5253. Rock on.

(For what it's worth, I keep pointing to these kinds of discussions as evidence that an XK version would probably sell enough to recoup the engineering investment. It's just tough to know the market for sure, though.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts