Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have these installed currently? If so, do they seem sturdy and feel like they could take a beating if put in that position?
Post a picture if you've got them!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I had the originals and they're great. Very sturdy, will definitely take a beating. They protected my XK from several potential bumps.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have them... their fit & finish is nice and they're very sturdy- i've beat the hell out of them offroad.

HOWEVER, even though they're advertised as such, they are NOT compatible for hi-lift jack use. They're design for hi-lift integration is poor and results in a very unstable condition that will turn the hi-lift into a can opener, and the can is the door of your XK.

If i was buying today, I would get the Steel Armadillo sliders. $.02

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a49er suggested the same thing... I don't know if I like the look of the steps that they weld on. Are they compatible with a hi lift? and if so, do they do special orders where they don't weld the tubing on for the steps?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The tubing section is what would be compatible with a hi-lift. If you dont want the tubing, then neither step will be sufficient as a hi-lift jack point so it wouldnt matter which one you went with. If that's the case, you'll like the 4XG sliders- just don't try using a hi-lift if you care about your door panels not being ripped open.

Check out the ARB X-Jack for a "real" trail jack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just saw your pics of the hi-lift "softly colliding" with the door... not something I think I want to be a part of. I mean, my brother does body work, but that's not something I want to ask him to help me with every time I need to use the jack. :roller:
Your XK looks good. I'm looking to add a 22" extension to my megawarrior but am looking for the best price I can find online... ebay seem to be my best option.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
a49er suggested the same thing... I don't know if I like the look of the steps that they weld on. Are they compatible with a hi lift? and if so, do they do special orders where they don't weld the tubing on for the steps?
You might like the Rocky Road Supersliders or Rock Sliders---> http://www.rocky-road.com/commander.html

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The RRO sliders are going to have the same hi-lift issue that the 4XG has, you'll need to lift from the tip of the foot which produces a cantilever effect and will rotate the jack into your door.

They also reduce ground clearance. I hit my sliders enough, I couldn't imagine them being 1-1.5" lower.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the Steel Armadillo are the best ones to go with after the can opener advice. I'll probably save myself $150 and get them in raw metal... Spray on bedliner will do the trick.
Thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts