Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[NOTE: As of May 2010, 4xGuard has available Side Guards specifically designed for the XK.]

For the past couple of weeks I've been test fitting 4xGuard products (and a few other items) on my XK. I'm pleased to say that the results have been very positive:

As you can see here, the 4xG Side Guard HC fits on an XK. You can check out all the details of construction and such on 4xGuard's website; suffice it to say that the thing is built very well. It results in improved breakover angle in addition to protecting a vulnerable area. It also acts as a great step.

Installation was no different than it would be for a Grand Cherokee, which is what the Guard was designed to fit. The holes all line up, and no adjustments need to made to any parts. It really was painless.

Given that the Guard was designed for the WK, there are a couple of quirks with the look that I ought to mention:

What you can see here are the front and rear ends, respectively. No one notices this unless I point it out to them, but as you can see the "cut-outs" don't meet flush with the body. They do on the WK. You can fill this in any number of ways, if it matters to you. I actually cut pieces out of my now-discarded OEM molding to fill in the gaps before deciding that it actually looks fine just like this.

All in all, this is good news for XKs!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
They look awsome on there. Other then the fitment of the ends, everything fits perfectly where they mount to the vehicle correct? Do you have any close up pics of the mounting locations?

I was going to get some tube rock rails and modify them since they are cheap but now I cant decide what route I want to go. The tube rock rails will provide a little more protection to the doors but the 4xguard might be a little stronger and also make the vehicle look more like stock which I really like. Price will probablly be the deciding factor between the two. I just dented my rocker panel on the driver side at rausch creek so I need to do something.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
This is very interesting. I've got the Rocky Road Super Sliders which have taken some good hits and have little powdercoat left on the bottom. But I have bent the passenger side and was thinking of trying another brand. Plus, because of the strong design, they reduce my rocker clearance by about 2". I've wanted something that was strong but didn't reduce clearance so much. I didn't realize the parts for the WK would fit an XK so well. 4xGuard is about 8 miles from my house and I've talked with Russ a few times. Maybe I should look into this...

Do you think they'd take a vertical drop of about 6" with the weight of the XK without bending upwards?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look awsome on there. Other then the fitment of the ends, everything fits perfectly where they mount to the vehicle correct? Do you have any close up pics of the mounting locations?
That's right. They mount perfectly: no different from the WK they were designed for. I'll see if I can't get some detailed pictures of the mounting tomorrow. I'm on the road in Colorado right now, trail-testing a number of things, and connections are spotty as a result -- especially when it comes to uploading images -- so don't get too mad if it takes a day or two!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I was wondering....

Are you connected to 4xguard somehow?

The last pics you posted look like they could be near Golden, CO. Hmmm?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I was wondering....

Are you connected to 4xguard somehow?
I think he is the son of Russ and Anita. Correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he is the son of Russ and Anita. Correct me if im wrong.
Exactly so. Not employed, just related. :) Alas, therefore, that I won't get a cent if folks snatch these up. Indeed, all I'll get is a less unique rig if y'all start running 4xG!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Exactly so. Not employed, just related. :) Alas, therefore, that I won't get a cent if folks snatch these up. Indeed, all I'll get is a less unique rig if y'all start running 4xG!
Well I think im definately sold on the 4xguard rails. Now I just have to wait for some extra money.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other then the fitment of the ends, everything fits perfectly where they mount to the vehicle correct? Do you have any close up pics of the mounting locations?
It's tough to get a good shot of the mounting locations, but I've tried to do so. Here's the rear end of the Side Guard, showing not only the aforementioned "gap" due to it being designed to mesh with the WK body, but also the 6 bolts that go into the body and are hidden by the doors. The holes for these "top" bolts have to be drilled, just like they are on the WK. This picture also shows how well the guard works as a step:

This next one is from underneath, and it reveals the bracing that sandwiches the pinch weld and holds the guard up. These 6 lower bolts go through existing holes in the pinch weld, and are pretty easy to access via the drains that exist in the guard:

The whole thing is very tight and strong once all these bolts are in. The fit is so good against the stock metal (again, aside from those little gaps on the front and rear ends), that for a while we had only two bolts attached on the bottom and we were standing on the thing -- and it didn't budge. I didn't get a shot of them, but there's also two hi-lift jacking points on the underside.

Other than the security of the body protection and the bonus of having a usable step, the second shot above also underscores the big reason I wanted to fit them: breakover clearance. If you feel under your rig (or look under it), you'll see that the stock moldings go much lower than the pinch weld. Other sliders go even lower still. These don't, which means better clearance on a real trouble area.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Its hard to tell in the pictures but how far do the guards stick out once the doors are shut?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its hard to tell in the pictures but how far do the guards stick out once the doors are shut?
Good question. It looks like it's about 2.5" from the very base of the door to the top edge of the guard. They flare out very slightly toward the bottom. With the door open, it's about a 3-inch step.

Does that help?

·
Registered
233 Posts
that's good news..
I have been waiting for your 4Xguard front hitch receiver for XK as well .

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good question. It looks like it's about 2.5" from the very base of the door to the top edge of the guard. They flare out very slightly toward the bottom. With the door open, it's about a 3-inch step.

Does that help?

Yep, sure does. I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
El Cid, it seems like you are happy that you have an XK. But I would bet that there are a lot of people here that are even happier that you have one especially considering you have ties to the 4Xguard brand. 4XG has great stuff. Thanks for all your work and keep the mods coming!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Will these be sold as it to fit both vehicles or will there be a modified version for the XK in the future?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Will these be sold as it to fit both vehicles or will there be a modified version for the XK in the future?

X2

Im in no hurry to get these as money is tight at the moment. So I too am wondering if they will make ones specifically for the XK that mold better around the front and rear ends of the rails!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
ElCid, you might ask them if they could do some production runs specifically for the XK in those two areas where the Grand and the Commander are not exactly the same. Maybe they could do a Group Buy to assure they don't over run the production.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the caveat that I don't actually work for 4xGuard and thus don't know everything that might be going through their minds...

To the best of my knowledge right now, the plan is to sell them as is. While that may change in the future, it's not in the works. I suspect they just aren't sure there's a market and profitability there, and I know that there are several other "skunkworks" projects in the queue ahead of something like this (some I'm involved in).

Also, while perfect meshing for the XK would be great, those front and rear openings are pretty minimal on the big scale. I've honestly shown them to dozens of folks, and no one has ever asked about them. They look like they're meant to be drainage points, and they only really stand out in these pictures because I took the close-ups to emphasize them in order to be upfront about things. Given that the "problem" is only aesthetic -- the guards mount perfectly and still do exactly what they're supposed to do -- it diminishes the desire to re-engineer.

At least that's how I would read the situation.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With the caveat that I don't actually work for 4xGuard and thus don't know everything that might be going through their minds...

To the best of my knowledge right now, the plan is to sell them as is. While that may change in the future, it's not in the works. I suspect they just aren't sure there's a market and profitability there, and I know that there are several other "skunkworks" projects in the queue ahead of something like this (some I'm involved in).

Also, while perfect meshing for the XK would be great, those front and rear openings are pretty minimal on the big scale. I've honestly shown them to dozens of folks, and no one has ever asked about them. They look like they're meant to be drainage points, and they only really stand out in these pictures because I took the close-ups to emphasize them in order to be upfront about things. Given that the "problem" is only aesthetic -- the guards mount perfectly and still do exactly what they're supposed to do -- it diminishes the desire to re-engineer.

At least that's how I would read the situation.
That makes perfect sense to me. I wasnt to worried about the little gaps at each end, I was just curious as its going to be a little while until I can order a pair.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, maybe things will have changed by the time you're ordering yours.

And maybe by then 4xGuard will have even more XK products, too!

1 - 20 of 180 Posts