Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had to replace their heater hoses. The location of the hose on the engine seems to be almost impossible without removing the intake manifold. Is there a different way to approach this problem?

Thanks!

·
Banned
17 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had to replace their heater hoses. The location of the hose on the engine seems to be almost impossible without removing the intake manifold. Is there a different way to approach this problem?

Thanks!
@Bunkie Are you replacing because they started leaking down at the heater core?
If so, there is a way around replacing the whole hose. There's a post on here somewhere by a guy named heffercow where he left the hose in and replaced the the stock heater core connection with a standard t fitting and some hose clamps. I came across it the other day cause mine has been randomly dripping.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My local mechanic fix mine using a standard T several years ago, no problems since.
I did this fix last summer, no leaks since. I used a plastic T fitting (Gates brand I think) from O'Reilly's. There was plenty of extra hose already there to cut out the old fitting, add some hose clamps and put in the new fitting. Everything was 3/4" if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on that. The fitting was only a few dollars plus a jug of coolant. Was an easy repair.

Some have recommended brass fittings for added durability, but the plastic one seemed durable enough to me.

Make sure you use the correct coolant, not that universal crap!

This fix saved me a fair bit of time and money, as those hoses are rather expensive and difficult to replace. As mentioned above, I actually got this idea from heffercow. Unfortunately there won't be any more good ideas from him because a certain mod banned him for basically no reason at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ive heard of this fix, have the slow drip, and need to find the size so i can cut and reinstall in one shot. If someone runs across that thread, please link it. !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the plastic T fitting. The only problem was it didn't have large enough barbs on the on the tubes so I couldn't get the clamp tight enough. I was afraid I would crush the fitting. I am not a big fan of worm gear hose clamps anyway. It blew off while in the driveway. So I ordered a replacement hose. Only to find how difficult it is to replace.

I am thinking about cutting the hose from the engine and putting a straight brass barbed hose connector with Gates Power Grip SB Clamps between the old hose coming out of the engine and cutting the new hose to attach to the other end of the straight connector.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The aftermarket gates and continental brand hoses and tee fitting replacements are much better than the OEM hose and tee assembly as the Tee fitting and swages are metal and won't deteriorate with heat and time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried the plastic T fitting. The only problem was it didn't have large enough barbs on the on the tubes so I couldn't get the clamp tight enough. I was afraid I would crush the fitting. I am not a big fan of worm gear hose clamps anyway. It blew off while in the driveway. So I ordered a replacement hose. Only to find how difficult it is to replace.

I am thinking about cutting the hose from the engine and putting a straight brass barbed hose connector with Gates Power Grip SB Clamps between the old hose coming out of the engine and cutting the new hose to attach to the other end of the straight connector.

The spring clamps which I believe is what you are talking about are much better than worm screw clamps. You'll have to pull the intake to get at those fittings so your idea sounds like a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Finally was able to get back to repairing the Heater hose. Decided to try the T fitting again. This time I got a brass T fitting. Also got a better quality of hose clamp. I was able to get the clamp really tight this time. I attached pics of the collapsed plastic fitting.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts