Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great work everyone! My question is, has anyone had to fix the connections that are under the wheel well by the passenger side? I found that's where my leak is coming from--not from the firewall. I can't figure out what any of those connectors are, but it's definitely coming from there. I attached pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great work everyone! My question is, has anyone had to fix the connections that are under the wheel well by the passenger side? I found that's where my leak is coming from--not from the firewall. I can't figure out what any of those connectors are, but it's definitely coming from there. I attached pictures. View attachment 41593 View attachment 41594
View attachment 41595
Are you sure that’s just not where it’s pooling? That’s where mine would pool and drip from. I believe the silver lines are for the rear a/c. The black ones (to the left in your pic) are for the rear heat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you sure that’s just not where it’s pooling? That’s where mine would pool and drip from. I believe the silver lines are for the rear a/c. The black ones (to the left in your pic) are for the rear heat.
Well, I actually discovered the leak this weekend when I was trying to change the valve cover gaskets and couldn't get to the bolt on the bottom of the valve cover without removing the hoses. I dropped my wrench and while wiggling under the Jeep to retrieve it, saw the puddle of coolant that had built up over night and saw it was slowly dripping from where I took those pictures. I did not see any indication of leakage from the firewall or from behind the intake manifold. The puddle that formed was directly under the lines from the pictures I took.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go look at your t-junction (The one I replaced in my earlier post). I wouldnt be surprised if you’ll find coolant weeping near the bottom part of the T, because that’s exactly what mine looked like.
Funny - my drivers valve cover gasket is leaking oil - I literally just bought new gaskets for it. That’s my next project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go look at your t-junction (The one I replaced in my earlier post). I wouldn't be surprised if you’ll find coolant weeping near the bottom part of the T, because that’s exactly what mine looked like.
Funny - my drivers valve cover gasket is leaking oil - I literally just bought new gaskets for it. That’s my next project.
Will do! Thanks for the info my dude!

·
Administrator
6,970 Posts
Well it’s done. Pain to get to for sure but seems to work well enough. Thanks to all who posted the idea here.

I ended up using a sharp little pocket knife, cut the top off first, then the firewall side was easier to get to. Once that side was done you can pull the lower hose/old “T” off to the side to cut the lower off. Then I put it back together in the reverse order. Bled down the system (didn’t take a ton of coolant, less than half a gallon) and took it for a spin. Seems to be holding well and heat is working.

also - there is a small negative wire going through The area that seems to go to the ecu. I zip tied that and the big wiring harness up to the ac lines above this temporarily to keep them out of the way. Gives just a tiny bit of extra room.

View attachment 41591 View attachment 41591
Thanks for the write up and the pics.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Go look at your t-junction (The one I replaced in my earlier post). I wouldnt be surprised if you’ll find coolant weeping near the bottom part of the T, because that’s exactly what mine looked like.
MB make sure you have Mopar gaskets. Both mine were leaking at the firewall, and they used the blue aftermarket ones on the reman a year ago. They didn't last long. Just replaced mine 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I did just like everyone in here did. 3/4" brass T-Union. Only took maybe an hour. But wouldn't ya know it, now I have another problem. After about three minutes. my engine temp gauge goes all the way up, the radiator fan goes into hardcore mode, and then the engine eventually shuts off. What. The. Hell. When I changed the union, I maybe only lost 8 ounces MAX of fluid. Any ideas? I've about had it with this damn vehicle.

Update
Turns out I just needed to bleed the system for like half an hour. Not sure why it took that long, thought I'd done enough the first time. Everything seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine took a bleed twice a day apart, to get right. Also changed thermostat and didnt bleed and jeep ran fine.
Luck of the draw i guess...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts