Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the archives, and not quite found what I am looking for. This does not fill me with much hope, because i feel like this is a pretty competent group. I am going ot take a stab at it anyway.

It appears that my cooling fan is not functioning as it should. It has ben a long while since I have had it kick it onto high which means that I have been running at an average temp of 219 degrees. I have replaced the Water pump, Thermostat for a 195, flushed the radiator, etc. I have unplugged the temp sensor plug and the fan goes full blast, so I am pretty sure it is not the solenoid or the power steering pump . I am also Running a newish refurbished PCM.

So is left to test to see why the fan is not running as it should. From what I have read when the a/c is running the fan should be going at full blast, It does not. Also when I am running at 220 degrees the fan should be going to town it does
not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Let me know if I have missed something. I have 175,000 on the motor with no check engine lights. The engine is still strong, I am trying to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Funny you say that it isn't running like it should, because what you're describing is in fact, the fan running like it should. Mine does not run on full blast with the A/C on, even on the hottest days, it will only run at maybe 25-30 percent full speed. 210 is about the middle of the gauge, so up to 220 with the extra heat from the A/C is not a concern.

Mine will only kick on in the rarest of times I had a coolant leak, and it allowed the temperature to raise a bit higher past half-way. Or when the A/C pressure sensor went out, it ran full blast perhaps as a safety feature to help cool the condenser.

I'd not worry about it unless your temp gauge is past half-way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you say that it isn't running like it should, because what you're describing is in fact, the fan running like it should. Mine does not run on full blast with the A/C on, even on the hottest days, it will only run at maybe 25-30 percent full speed. 210 is about the middle of the gauge, so up to 220 with the extra heat from the A/C is not a concern.

Mine will only kick on in the rarest of times I had a coolant leak, and it allowed the temperature to raise a bit higher past half-way. Or when the A/C pressure sensor went out, it ran full blast perhaps as a safety feature to help cool the condenser.

I'd not worry about it unless your temp gauge is past half-way.

That's the problem is it does get past half way. I have an actual temp guage.. Today I hit 230 just on the highway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ah I see. Some other vehicles kick the fan on full blast with the A/C on, but I don't think it does on the Commanders, so I wanted to assure you on that one. 230 is definitely too high without the fan though... The "top fix" in the technical repair manuals from Prodemand are saying the fan was just inoperative. A handful of cooling fan issues were solved by replacing the A/C pressure sensor or the coolant sensor, which isn't helpful in this case. You'd obviously have other symptoms if those sensors didn't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm well that brings some comfort. Maybe I have to much info and I am being OCD. I wouldnhave never known how hot it was without a real gauge.

·
Registered
2007 Limited QDII
483 Posts
ive not seen 230 (monitoring via obd torque app) even when towing a large pontoon up hills. 225 and the fan ramps up and you know its running. the solenoid acts like an analog 3 way valve to adjust flow to the fan. maybe your is working on and off and not variable in between. You could measure the voltage to the solenoid to see if it changes.

maybe there is some trash in the solenoid; drain and refill the PS fluid (use turkey baster out of the resivour) a few times and get some fresh fluid in there. ive done that and replaced the radiator a few times; used lucas hydraulic fluid with no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have searched the archives, and not quite found what I am looking for. This does not fill me with much hope, because i feel like this is a pretty competent group. I am going ot take a stab at it anyway.

It appears that my cooling fan is not functioning as it should. It has ben a long while since I have had it kick it onto high which means that I have been running at an average temp of 219 degrees. I have replaced the Water pump, Thermostat for a 195, flushed the radiator, etc. I have unplugged the temp sensor plug and the fan goes full blast, so I am pretty sure it is not the solenoid or the power steering pump . I am also Running a newish refurbished PCM.

So is left to test to see why the fan is not running as it should. From what I have read when the a/c is running the fan should be going at full blast, It does not. Also when I am running at 220 degrees the fan should be going to town it does
not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Let me know if I have missed something. I have 175,000 on the motor with no check engine lights. The engine is still strong, I am trying to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance!
I’m having a similar issue with my 2006 limited 5.7L. Do you happen to know where the engine coolant temperature sensor is?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
@ryanpatria8
You still not filled in your details and made a signature as requested months ago. Please do so or face removal.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

·
Registered
2009 Commander Limited; 5.7L V-8; QT-II 4WD;
5 Posts
Having a similar issue here on my '09 Commander 5.7L -
Overheating at select times after a bit of driving on a warm day, but on a cooler day it wont overheat at all.
I've flushed the system, changed the thermostat, RAD cap and both RAD hoses for the hell of it, but nothing's changed. I'm thinking it may be the fan or one of the sensors mentioned above?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts