Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have been dealing with an issue my Commander for a few days now. I drove it over to my family’s house with no issues and when it sat for about two or three hours and tried to start it up to leave it wouldn’t start.

At first it was making a ticking noiseor clacking noise while I was trying to start it. Sounded like something was stuck in a fan blade noise. Then I tried to give it gas during start up and and die. During this time, there was no Check Engine or DTC code.

After leaving it for a day, I replaced the plugs and got it started but now it will not stay running. DTC codes are P0300 and P0304. I replaced the coil pack for that cylinder but it still won’t stay started and there is a lot of smoke now.

Any ideas or experiences with this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hate to go worst case scenario first, but...

Guessing if you do a compression check on #4 you might see a problem. Whether its rings or head gasket depend on the smoke color, bluish or white.
Or you dropped a valve. Much more likely, and your smoke will likely smell like raw fuel.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unfortunately it does sound like it dropped a valve seat which is known issue with some 5.7 Hemis. Usually the dropped seat will destroy the piston and head and possibly scour the cylinder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all. I don't believe it is head gasket but I am starting to think it is an issue with the valve in that cylinder. The plugs from that one looked like the piston actually impacted them both. With this type of issue, is it a engine rebuild or is it easy enough to work on?

·
Banned
159 Posts
Thank you all. I don't believe it is head gasket but I am starting to think it is an issue with the valve in that cylinder. The plugs from that one looked like the piston actually impacted them both. With this type of issue, is it a engine rebuild or is it easy enough to work on?
That all depends on how much contact was made. If it is a dropped valve, at the very least you're definitely rebuilding the top end. If any of it actually made contact with the cylinder walls or the piston then you're probably looking at a bottom-end rebuild as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the insight. I am going to have someone come look at it either this afternoon or tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll second the dropped valve seat. It happened to my Hemi at 118K miles. Dropped my kid off at school, Jeep wouldn't start. No warnings, no overheating. I can recommend an engine from Pro Engines in NC. Search the forums for their contact info.

I'm thinking of starting a blown Hemi support group...

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Chrysler 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 are also known to drop valve seats as well as other makes engines. Sintered valve seats where used and sometimes the fit was not tight enough and this can happen. Some think that the MDS system on the 5.7 contributes to this or possible overheating. There are many many thousands of these engines that never have a problem - being that on forums one usually hears about these problems they can seem worse than they really are. You only usually hear about the failures and not the from the others that never have issues. My 5.7 Hemi has over 140K miles on it. I do think about it happening but (knock on wood) it hasn't yet and I can't really complain if it does as I have gotten very good service out of this vehicle so far.

Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Chrysler 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 are also known to drop valve seats as well as other makes engines. Sintered valve seats where used and sometimes the fit was not tight enough and this can happen. Some think that the MDS system on the 5.7 contributes to this or possible overheating. There are many many thousands of these engines that never have a problem - being that on forums one usually hears about these problems they can seem worse than they really are. You only usually hear about the failures and not the from the others that never have issues. My 5.7 Hemi has over 140K miles on it. I do think about it happening but (knock on wood) it hasn't yet and I can't really complain if it does as I have gotten very good service out of this vehicle so far.

Dan
Thank you for the good feedback in regards to these engines. I am still waiting on a mechanic to diagnose the issue. I’ll update everyone once I find out more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mechanic came out. Looks like it needs another engine. The smoke that is pouring out of the tail pipe smells like fuel. He believes the piston is broken for cylinder 4.

Now I need to find a mechanic with the best deal for a engine swap. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have started the process. I found a mechanic that is going to order a remanufactured engine with a no fault warranty and 3 year/unlimited miles. It will include a install kit to replace everything else.

Once this is done and I get new suspension, I should have a completely rebuilt 06 Commander.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Commander is finally out of the shop with a new TriStar 5.7 installed. I know it will need a break in time but the average MPG is around 9. The previous engine I was getting 12. I will wait to see if it improves.

Previous motor had a blown piston head in cylinder 4. There was other issues and over the previous motor was trashed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ugh.

I'm thinking my Commander just joined the club. The past couple weeks, I've heard a slight ticking noise, briefly, just after starting and driving a mile or so in the morning. I just had the A/C unit recharged and my engine cover was loose, so I thought that may have been the culprit.

Today, I run in to the post office to grab some mail. Five minutes later I return to start it and... rough idle, loud clicking, won't stay running. I think I smell fuel, but saw no smoke.

Towed home. Not sure what to do next, other than tow it to a shop who can tell me I can't afford what's needed next... FML.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ugh.

I'm thinking my Commander just joined the club. The past couple weeks, I've heard a slight ticking noise, briefly, just after starting and driving a mile or so in the morning. I just had the A/C unit recharged and my engine cover was loose, so I thought that may have been the culprit.

Today, I run in to the post office to grab some mail. Five minutes later I return to start it and... rough idle, loud clicking, won't stay running. I think I smell fuel, but saw no smoke.

Towed home. Not sure what to do next, other than tow it to a shop who can tell me I can't afford what's needed next... FML.
Sorry to hear that. I definitely had to take out a loan for this. I've thrown so much money at right off, it should be a new commander. It just sucks to have a loan for the jeep and a separate one for the engine.

Definitely get someone to diagnose it and I hope it isn't in the same boat as me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same Jeep with similar miles - I am afraid to ask how much for the new motor if you don't mind?

Mine is running fine at the moment, just want to be prepared for the worst...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts