Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,New to the forum so first off THANKS to the moderator for the join! Appreciate it! Also a THANKS in advance to the members on here who's brain I need to pick. I have a 2006 Commander Limited 4X4 5.7L with MDS ( vin 2) and am looking for a used replacement engine (again) and would like to know what other vehicles would have the same engine. I know that in the years 2005-2008 there were several intakes & oil pans used so thanging those isn't an issue for me. I have a chance to purchase an engine from a 2006 Chrysler 300C RWD 5.7L with MDS (vin H) but all the interchange notes I found say it will fit a 2006 Commander BUT only the 2WD version. Is this because of a different oil pan or am I missing something else? Thanks , Carl

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi,New to the forum so first off THANKS to the moderator for the join! Appreciate it! Also a THANKS in advance to the members on here who's brain I need to pick. I have a 2006 Commander Limited 4X4 5.7L with MDS ( vin 2) and am looking for a used replacement engine (again) and would like to know what other vehicles would have the same engine. I know that in the years 2005-2008 there were several intakes & oil pans used so thanging those isn't an issue for me. I have a chance to purchase an engine from a 2006 Chrysler 300C RWD 5.7L with MDS (vin H) but all the interchange notes I found say it will fit a 2006 Commander BUT only the 2WD version. Is this because of a different oil pan or am I missing something else? Thanks , Carl
Welcome to the forum @modified32;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You might have to deep dive into parts diagrams for the 2 vehicles part by part to see what the differences are. Odds are, oil pan, intake plumbing, trans/xfer case mounting, exhaust manifolds, and driven accessories will be different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need advice from somebody who really knows the 5.7l hemi please!

Hi Everyone,
I need some guidance on a issue with a 06 Commander 5.7L vin 2 with EGR (approx 120K) engine ran great until bearing in idler pulley seized,threw belt and overheated. (was driven hot) Next day idler pulley & belt was replaced & coolant added (system was bleed at screw at water pump)Engine started & sounded normal but a chemical test indicated CO2 and I immediately had pressure in cooling system. I suspected a head gasket. I ordered the correct FelPro gaskets,new head bolts,plugs,new waterpump,t-stat,upper rad hose (showed signs of being sucked shut) PLUS a set of remanufactured heads (I didn't want to take the chance of the valve seats in the old heads dropping because of being overheated) When I was disassembling the motor I found the intake was melted at the ports where it bolts to the heads(motor got that hot) Not a good sign but I did have the motor running and it ran good so I continued. No other damage was found but cylinders 2&4 showed signs of coolant. Installed the reman heads & all the other new parts including a used intake and Jeep ran good except for intermittently while driving it would bog down misfire and white smoke would pour out the tailpipe for about 15/20 seconds until it cleared up,the miss cleared up and again the motor would run fine. It took me awhile to diagnose it but I found that the EGR valve was opening and coolant was going thru EGR valve thru tube into intake!! (EGR valve is bolted to front of RS cyl head)Now we know that ain't normal ! SO I pulled it apart again,the head gasket showed it sealed nicely all over,checked all the cylinder walls for cracks (none found that I can physically see) and sent the reman head out to be pressure checked. Today the machine shop tells me the head checked OK. HELP ! I'm hoping somebody here can tell me how coolant can be getting into the EGR port.

As a side note after I found the coolant was being introduced into the intake thru the EGR valve I removed the metal tube from EGR valve,plugged the intake hole and drove the Jeep. This time it ran fine but the EGR valve was blowing coolant all over the inner fenderwell

THANKS in advance for any advice, Carl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,It seems the vin 2 and vin H long blocks are the same except there are different versions of the intake manifolds,oil pans,exhaust manifolds and even the water pumps. All are just "bolt on" items so they can be easily switched. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in petrol/gasoline and diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders.

Based on it's function; I can't logically figure how you have coolant coming out of the EGR valve. Hopefully someone more mechanically inclined then me can give you some insight;

I don't recall hearing about an issue exactly like this before.

Also @modified32; Please give the forum members some time to read and respond to your thread - there is no need to start multiple threads on the same subject in this forum, as well as other sub-forums - it's a violation of forum rules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts