Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here. I am test driving a 2006 Commander over the weekend. It is an 06 limited with the 5.7. I was wondering if all the 5.7 Hemi engines are multi displacement. This one doesnt have a manual with it and I have seen 2 different things online. One website said it was an option on the 5.7 one said all 5.7s had it. Also is the 4x4 sytem with the 5.7 a true full time, or does it automatically turn off and on??? I appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
All of the 06 5.7L have the multi displacement system. It is a full time 4wd system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I appreciate the info. What kind of gas mileage do you guys typically get with the 4x4 5.7? We picked this one up this afternoon and we have it until Mon / Tues to test drive. So far we love it!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
coastie743 said:
Thanks! I appreciate the info. What kind of gas mileage do you guys typically get with the 4x4 5.7? We picked this one up this afternoon and we have it until Mon / Tues to test drive. So far we love it!!
I have a 06 stock with the 5.7 and normally get about 13 around town and 18 on the highway.

·
Registered
331 Posts
we average 13.8 after 26,000 miles. but, my wife is an aggressive driver. we put a screen in the snorkel cover, reset the 'puter, 2.5" lift, and oversized tires......we were getting 13.9 before the new sneakers. I have to get the odom re-calibrated to the new diameter asap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. We like the vehicle, we are going to take it on a short trip today (about 2 hrs) just to see how it does on gas and stuff. It is an 06 Limited with the 5.7, QDII, nav, and DVD system. They are asking 20800 and it has 40K on it. I was suprised when I called about the insurance, only 9 bucks more every 6 months compared to the Honda Element we are looking at trading. If anyone has any advice for anything to look for it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question.... sorry not too familiar with the Hemi MDS. When the MDS is active is there an indicator or dash light? I know with a friends Honda Van there is a dash inidcator that tells when it has cut off 3 of the 6 cyl.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, anything to look for on these? I have noticed that the 06's have worse reviews in consumer reports than the 07. Is that just due to the first year bugs and such? Anything to keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is no indicator light, But I am currently trying to figure out where to mount an LED, that will be wired to the MSD wires in the engine. I will post up a How To, so that when you own that awesome HEMI, you can consider doing it yourself.

Things to look for...
-Pay attention to noises coming from the windshield...There have been numerous reports of whistling...mine included.
-LISTEN to the sounds of the vehicle...The motor, the transmission, the steering, etc. Make a note of these, and then drive another XK to see if they have the same noise. One noise to look for is in the steering. People have had to replace their "rack" at pretty low milage.
-Look at all of the shocks on the vehicle. I had one in the rear replaced at about 25k mi, and now have one in the front that has been out since 42K mi.
-Go through "Problems / Dealer Service" page on this site, and read about other's concerns...Don't let it scare you, but rather take it to heart and use the information here to help you decide on your purchase.

One last thing. I know I will catch guff from the others, but you can do better on the price...Especially today. I would probably offer 16, and expect to pay 18, plus warranty...I repeat: PLUS WARRANTY. lol.

Good luck!

PS. You never said where you were from...Where might that be?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I figure I can get a pretty good deal on it. People arent exactly lined up around the block to buy large SUVs with big V8s these days. We will see what numbers they come up with when we go back to the dealership this week.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Hebsway said:
I have a 06 stock with the 5.7 and normally get about 13 around town and 18 on the highway.
Same with my 06 with a 5.7

·
Registered
137 Posts
AJGuy84

What does this steering noise sound like, and is it coming from the steering box or from the steering wheel?

What is a good way to check the shocks? My wife is complaining that the ride quality has deteriorated. I only know to check for a leaking shock or by bouncing the vehicle up and down. All seems fine doing those checks. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
samax8 said:
AJGuy84

What does this steering noise sound like, and is it coming from the steering box or from the steering wheel?

What is a good way to check the shocks? My wife is complaining that the ride quality has deteriorated. I only know to check for a leaking shock or by bouncing the vehicle up and down. All seems fine doing those checks. Thanks.

I actually haven't had the steering problem, but it would be coming from the steering box if you had it.

As for the shocks, the only way I know is by visually checking for leaking oil. Consider this: Most shocks and struts aren't warranteed for longer than 40K - 50K miles, so if that's the case, it might be time to have them replaced. If you are unsure, have a mechanic take a look to help you determine if they need to be replaced.

I hope this helps, and again...I'm not perfect, so everyone, please feel free to answer SAMAX8's question to the best of your knowledge.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response, AJGuy84. I'll have to get under there and check the shocks again. I do not have any noticeable noise coming from the steering box. I do have a slight "rubbing" sound in the steering wheel that is not apparent unless the radio is turned off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Coastie

We have an 07 Overland...very similar to the Limited. We love it. So far after about 13 months and 20K (we drive the hell out of it), no problems as of yet. One minor program with the auto wipers, but that was fixed quickly.

As far as the MDS...after driving her for a while, you may be able to notice some performance changes when it's on/off. You maybe driving one day and your mpgs take a dump (mds off) or you'll slightly try to speed up on the interstate and the RPMs don't move much but all of a sudden you feel a slight kick (MDS turns off)...just a couple things I've noticed. The manual says it's only active between 40-60 mph...I think it has a broader range. If you're light and at a constant speed around 70, I think it'll work then too. I've had upper teens on mpgs at that speed (not drafting). Once you get above 75-80, mpg performance goes down pretty good...speed has a price ya know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts