Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
^^ Right. They offered the Commander from the factory in a 5-passenger version beginning in 2008. I believe it was only available on the Sport trim level, where Limited and Overland came standard with the third row. And yes, the only difference was whether it came with the third row of seats.

·
Registered
180 Posts

BTW, to the original poster, I found all of the above pictures in online listings. All are 2008/2009 Sports. It would appear the option became extremely uncommon after 2008.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's pretty cool. I never saw one without the 3rd row before (from factory). Do you get a storage area under that cargo mat?

I'm really tempted to remove my 3rd row and gain some space as a few others have done but not keen on how the bare floor then shows, where the carpet is missing for the oem mounting hardware.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's pretty cool. I never saw one without the 3rd row before (from factory). Do you get a storage area under that cargo mat?

I'm really tempted to remove my 3rd row and gain some space as a few others have done but not keen on how the bare floor then shows, where the carpet is missing for the oem mounting hardware.
If I remember I will post up some photos, I plan to remove both seats next week. Originally, I only wanted to remove one but I found out they are designed in away that makes you have to cut the structure to have one installed without the other. So, two years later I am going to finally take both out!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

If you were to compare those shots with a 7 Pass Commander that had the rear seats folded down, you would see that the rear deck is several inches lower on the 5 pass. Look at the rails on the side of the flat floor that are on the edges to the body trim, the seats folded run up along that.

In the 7 pass, to level the floor with the folded seats you have cover that goes over the rear 6 inches, that stores the jack and tire tools. In 5 Pass, it must be shorter or deleted altogether and the jack/tire tools stored somewhere else.

You can unbolt and remove the 7 Pass 3rd Row seat, pretty easily. It will leave a less than complete carpet, bolt holes and several (maybe its only one?) stud sticking up. One of the bolts for the seat, also holds on the mount for the spare tire, so you'd want to reuse and tighten down the bolt in that spot.

You could cut off the studs and lay down a plastic cover (the ones in the photo look like a Husky cover) but cutting studs means you can't reverse the process. Well you could, but it would get complicated.

The cover over the last 6 Inches, would have to be adapted, maybe get the tray and cover from a junkyard, or make a custom cover, or cut up the existing cover and tray to mount flush (again making it harder to reverse).

The plastic trim on the body would be different, and many 7 pass Commanders have rear heat/ac which would fill up the space to the starboard of the 3rd row seat with a big HVAC box under a body panel.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I like them a lot as well.... I wish my 07 was just a factory 5 seater.
There are several members that have removed the third row and installed a lot of custom storage solutions. I wish that this were an option for me

Removed 3rd row seating and built a custom tool box out of MDF. Looking to mount socket rails and foam tool organization. Will have ratchets and other assorted tools for working on the Commander if something fails out on the trail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts