Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally ordered a light bar for across my roof. Was wondering if anyone has any advice on mounting?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Which one did you get? I was going to go with the Vision X bar. I haven't installed one yet, but I imagine some piece of reinforcement will need to go under the ceiling trim maybe?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just ordered a cheap one for now since im on a budget, im thinking about predrilling the holes and using self tapping screws and alittle rtv and silicone. I imagine if i run the screws just enough to get a bit in the roof it should hold. im kind of worried about the curtain airbags though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, the airbags are a big fear for me also when I think about installing them.
I am also leary of doing the self tappers, what kind of lateral movement can they handle if the assembly decides to move during driving? Over time...
I need to find out how hard is it to drop the front of the ceiling trim down and see how to get to the sheet metal for adding a back brace for any light kit I want to add. Also for adding rubber grommets to prevent rust hole mania!

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Keep good notes and pictures. I'm really throwing this out there with the cost of cree LEDs coming down. Thinking of going through the roof rack cross rail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep good notes and pictures. I'm really throwing this out there with the cost of cree LEDs coming down. Thinking of going through the roof rack cross rail.
i had thought about using the cross rail but it sits alittle far back for my taste.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure I'll have to really look tomorrow when the suns up. Got my harness in today hopefully the light will get here soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry it took so long work has been crazy... Can't wait to get out the army!! Lol anyways it was pretty easy. I took off my a pillers and sun visors and wedged a screw driver in the headboard for some spacing then drilled the holes and tapped them. Be careful you have to hold the airbags to the side so you don't hit them. I also used an epoxy over the holes to help seal them from water. It was pretty easy after I got the courage to drill the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also in the pic you can see its a little canted on the side I've fixed it since then. I did it at a friends house and left the screw for the mount to the bar at home and improvised with what I had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently mounted a 50in LED bar on my commander to the very front of the side rails. I pulled the caps off the tracks, measured where the LED bar brackets would go, taped off, drilled, then back-mounted a piece of strap steel, re drilled, and bolted the brackets on. Then I remounted the caps to the tracks and fitted the LED bar. So far it's been rock solid, looks clean, and has been tested over 90mph and in some pretty serious wind conditions. I'll post some photos when I get a chance. By doing this I was also able to route my wires entirely through the weather stripping and didn't have to drill the roof whatsoever. Installed my rocker switch in the small cubby on the left side of the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Led light bar

I'm planning to go with a cheap 50" LED bar too for now to see if this will work. I made a couple Z shaped SS brackets that mount using an existing bolt under the plastic wedge shaped cover at the very front of the roof rack rail. The plastic pops right off and there is a long metric bolt there on each side. I trimmed the plastic so the bracket sticks up and out for the light bar to mount to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently got a 50" light bar.

Damn thing lights up like a collapsed star. I mounted it directly to the roof rails. it sits back a bit more than I would like, but it's not like the extra distance makes a whit of different on the brightness.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Kevan & fcdan do you guys have any pictures? I'd like to see what it looks like mounted up in that spot. I currently have a home made light bar there and I'm about to pull the trigger on some leds for the roof, rear and some to put on the matrix brush gaurd. I'm debating a curved 50 over the windshield or a 52 straight bar where you guys have yours mounted. Thanks

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Fatherstorm that looks good! What light did you get? Do you have close up pictures of how you mounted it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Just installed a 54 inch curved light bar.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts