Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 4.7L. According to the book and the service tech at the dealership I don't need to change the oil for 6,000 miles. It's new and had 3 miles on the speedometer when I bought it. Is everyone going that long before changing oil? Guess I'm old fashioned but I always changed oil at 3,000 miles and at 1,000 miles for the first change on a new engine. I've always changed my own oil as I never trust them to use the proper oil or filter unless I'm under there watching them which they discourage. Also is everyone using 5wx20 in the 4.7L? I've always used Valvoline oil in other vehicle. I've use Valvoline premium and have never used synthetics. What oil filter are you using? I use Mobil 1 on my XJ's and assume they make one for the Commander. I've only taken a cursory look under the hood and didn't see the oil filter but I'm sure I'll find it if I look a little harder. Is it accessible from the top or do you have to crawl under?
I love this beast. It rides and handles like a dream. I've had my XJ's parked for 2 weeks and take the Commander everywhere. I have the Red Rock Pearl and Rocky Mountain Edition. It also matches or beats the MPG in my Cherokees. Getting 21.3MPG on the highway. I have about 1,100 on the clock and zero complaints so far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
******THIS IS FOR THE HEMI AND WILL DIFFER FROM YOURS!**************** I use Mobil 1 5-w20 full synthetic, and i BELIEVE AN m-204 FILTER. They are great and are way ahead in performance of conventional crap. The access to the filter is dumb ass and bottom only and there is a little channel that is fabricated to let the oil pour down, I refer to it as the dumb ass spot. No offense to the vertically challenged, but unless you are a midget with tiny hands it is very unlikely that you can get any leverage barehanded to get the filter off. Get a filter wrench as it will save you tons of time and anger. I change mine every 5k. Hope this gives you a good idea of what you are up against. Mobile's site

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
6,000 only if you're using synthetic. Otherwise, 3,000.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is a total thread on Synthetic oil and alot of us are running Mobile1....
But a general consensus is that you can go 5-6k with synthetic, otherwise stick to the 3k schedule...

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I go 5k on Mobil1 5W30, do my own changes so it doesn't end up in the tech's car "by mistake".

BTW, how are you getting 21 MPG with a 4.7? I'm guessing its something to do with the newer 4.7.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
BTW, how are you getting 21 MPG with a 4.7? I'm guessing its something to do with the newer 4.7.

I get 19-20 on highway with the 4.7, but thats driving slow. So, usually a lot less. :D

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
LOL. Same here, then I'm lifted and running ~32" tires with a Phunkeydude roof rack, so that might be part of the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rwmorrisonjr said:
I go 5k on Mobil1 5W30, do my own changes so it doesn't end up in the tech's car "by mistake".

I have no idea how I'm getting 21MPG, that's what the MPG gauge says driving with the cruise at 65MPH.

I noticed you are using 5w30. The manual calls for 5w20. What's the difference and is 5w30 better to use?

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
howard6081 said:
I have no idea how I'm getting 21MPG, that's what the MPG gauge says driving with the cruise at 65MPH.

I noticed you are using 5w30. The manual calls for 5w20. What's the difference and is 5w30 better to use?
You can get the MPG in the dash to read anything if you try. But that is only the mpg you are getting at the moment, not your overall mpg for a tank of gas.

Only the 5.7 HEMI with MDS has to run 5W20 oil. If it does not get 5W20 the MDS will not operate properly.

·
2,248 Posts
I agree that you can do extended oil changes with synthetic oil, but you do not want to use synthetic until the engine is broken in because you nead the parts to all seat and match up for long term better gas mileage. I would not change to synthetic until the third change, (around 4 or 5 thousand miles) and I would change it first at 1,000 miles to get rid of the small metal bits and junk that is generated by breaking in the motor. That is just my opnion based on what seems logical to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with Huey. I actually changed at 800, 1,500 and at 2,500. I now change ever 2,500, but i use petro oil. I also use a K&N oil filter (that I change every 5,000), the K&N has a nut formed into the bottom of the filter so removal is a snap (plus it's a very good filter). Think about it, when is the metal-to-metal wear going to take place? Right in the beginning of the break-in period...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know the intervals should be more frequent in the beginning as the motor breaks in, and I've heard that synthetic oil should NOT be used until the motor has been properly broken in.
The manual lists two schedules based on driving conditions - if you're sticking to the highway, 6000 miles between oil changes is fine. Many owners of the new fancy cars with oil monitoring systems are finding they can go up to 12,000 miles between oil changes before oil starts breaking down.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I do not drive the XK too much (7,500 miles in 18 months) so I have my oil changed every 3,000 miles with dinasaur oil. Will swith to Synthetic at the 9,000 mile mark I think.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been using Mobil Clean 5000 dino oil and the Purolator pureONE filter. Changing every 5,000 miles. Even so, the oil doesn't look so bad at change time. 5w30 is recommended for the 3.7L. The store was sold out of 5w, so I'm running 10w30 this cycle (since it's Summer - wouldn't do that in cold weather).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 1,100 on the clock now and changed the oil today using Valvoline 5w20 and Mobil 1 oil filter. Might not have been necessary to change it so soon but as another poster said I think the oil on a new engine should be changed after the first 1,000 miles and then settle into a longer routine. I've never in my life had so much trouble getting an oil filter off. I was about to give up but kept at it and finally got it off. Should be easier next time. I thought it would be easy using a plastic end cap and 6" extension to reach it but it was on so tight I made a round hole out of the square hole the extension fits in. Ending up using a metal strap wrench. Wonder if they make these end caps with with a metal insert so this doesn't happen. Sure would make changing the filter a lot easier.
HT

·
Registered
84 Posts
My dealer had a $9.95 special to change the oil, oil filter and air filter. I had it changed @ 1200 miles. From this point on I'm changing with dino every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't find the filter so hard to get to or to remove. Jockeying it out from between the belts without getting oil on everything, however, is a bit of a challenge.

The pureONE filter now comes with a rough, sandy coating which should make it easier. It is also now the World's ugliest oil filter.

The ugliest oil filter ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think they put oil filters on dry at the plant. As long as the gasket is oiled before applying a new one it shouldn't be a problem after that.
As far as that ugly oil filter it's hidden so well no one will ever see it anyway except road turtles. (tis the season here)
HT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts