Jeep Commander Forum banner

6.1 SRT8 Header Long Winded Question

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
So, I have been reading on this from time to time through all the forums for a while now. I found a great deal on some 6.1 Cherokee headers and have been on the hunt for some midpipes. In my search for the oem SRT midpipes, I came across an OEM catalytic converters for 307$. I noticed it was for the 5.7 Cherokee and thought oh well, but I noticed something that never even came to mind in all my research:

The flanges were adjustable on the converter, which made me stop in my tracks. The whole problem with trying to use the 5.7 commander midpipes, or RAM headers, etc. is that the flanges were not oriented correctly. SO, couldn’t I just use this 06-08 Cherokee converter with the free rotating flanges (or now that I think of it, a commander OEM cat) and it should bolt right up to the 6.1 headers because I can rotate the flanges any direction I want, right???
Thanks

#2 ·
The SRT headers work no problem but you have to have the correct one. Post a picture of the ones you bought. The SRT's don't have EGR so you will need to either add the tube to the passenger manifold or get a programner and have someone write a tune to program it out.

The Grand Cherokee and Commander have the same chasis so the SRT cat pipe will work. One of the guys on here swapped the power train and exhaust from an SRT to his commander.

#3 ·
So, I could get either of these headers, there are a few around for sale:

Would thecommander/Cherokee catalytic converters work if the flanges can rotate 360 degrees around the pipe? Or is it the angle of the flanges on the 6.1 headers vs the 5.7 headers that is the issue?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Neither of those are the correct header. The bottom ones will not clear the frame. I believe those are from a 6.4. The first picture is just a modified log and not very good.

The correct manifolds have a flange that clears with very little modding. Just a bit of the flange needs to be ground off. The corresponding cat pipe is supposed to bolt right up. I will track down the correct manifold and post it for you.

#9 · (Edited)
What do ya’ll think is a fair price for a set of these 6.1 headers from a GC SRT8?

Also, how useful will they be without the matching 6.1 GC SRT8 midpipes and cats (how tough to coax my 5.7 commander midpipes to connect to these 6.1 GC SRT8 manifolds?)

#10 ·
Not sure what you consider fair. You want a huge power gain with an uncommon part, you pay the price that you can find. It's not like you just find these everywhere or an aftermarket headr that is cheap.. I believe they were about $550 each new.

How useful is 36 hp. It is the log manifold that kills the flow immensely. They are a fair bit longer than the log so you have to have an exhaust shop make you a reducer as the SRT manifold has a much larger collector and blend it into the cat pipe. When we did mine, we also replaced the portion going into each cat as the factory Commander pipe is a pipe within a pipe.

#11 ·
@Flex Please go to your account settings and create a signature with your XK's info. This is the final request. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.