Jeep Commander Forum banner

60,000 maintenance on new purchase.

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BBCBIRD 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. This is my first post! I just bought an 06 base model with a 4.7 v8. I really do not have any records from the past owners besides one recall for the ignition and a new starter and battery in March. I am getting the transfer case, front and rear differential, and transmission fluid all changed at the dealer nearby. They quoted me about $500 for it all. I would learn to do it myself but don't have the time before it gets too cold here in Wisconsin. Does that sound like a decent price for a dealership? Otherwise it rides and feels great. Will change plugs and am due for an oil change in a few months. Thanks. Any other feedback is appreciated!

#2 · (Edited)
...I am getting the transfer case, front and rear differential, and transmission fluid all changed at the dealer nearby. They quoted me about $500 for it all. I would learn to do it myself but don't have the time before it gets too cold here in Wisconsin. Does that sound like a decent price for a dealership?....
Well, I've changed all those fluids with AMSOIL Synthetics (more expensive than standard Synthetics) and Hastings Transmission Filter for about $135. So no it doesn't sound like a decent price, but its a dealership, this one is probably NOT anymore of a rip-off than most of the others.

If you have a V8 and QTII, then you probably need the special NV-245 fluid, and more than I did, which might run up your cost a little more than mine for fluids.

For fluid changes, any reliable independent shop can do it just as well as the dealership, there is really no need to pay more to have a dealership do it. If you're worried about using them using the incorrect fluid, purchase the fluids yourself and take it to the independent shop and just pay the labor for them to drain and replace it.

We had a guy post his bill from a Dealership on here once, they charged even more than that to do the job, and the Dealership invoiced the fluid they used for the axle was the wrong the fluid.

Did they claim they are going to do some fancy Transmission flush? Which Chrsyler, by TSB, specifically recommended against doing transmission flushes and just drain and replace the fluid and filter.

#3 ·
I think the Hemi just had the hydrualically driven fan, the 4.7L V8 did NOT. If I'm wrong, I'm sure some one that knows will chime in and correct me. If you have the hydrualically driven fan, I "believe" that is a huge load on the PS system, I think it would be wise to drain and replace the PS fluid if you have that system, and only use the recommended fluid in the owners manual, which is only available from the dealer. Make sure it is the MS18083 (might be off) by spec, do NOT accept the MS9307 (again might be off on the number) that some dealers have given WK/XK owners asking for PS fluid for their vehicles.

Even if you do NOT have the PS driven fan, replacing the PS fluid and brake fluid can keep those system performing better and remaining more trouble free longer. No you don't have to do it right away, but sometime in the future would be good.

The anti-freeze, check your O.M., it likely states it is good for 5year or 100k miles, which ever occurs first. If the original owner didn't replace it, and sounds like he didn't, you're 3 years overdue on replacing the anti-freeze. Again, use what the OM says, Chrysler HOAT fluid, either buy it from the dealer or use the only aftermarket equivalent, Zerex G-05. Do NOT use the universal, all makes, all models, mixes with any color anti-freezes, they are anything but and are bad news.

#4 ·
When I recently purchased my second Commander and not having any of the prior maintenance history I decided to do the same. In one visit to the dealer I had the following done: transmission oil, motor oil, front and rear diff oil, transfer case oil, and programming a new key FOB for $560. Since you're not getting the motor oil changed or programming fees then I would say it is probably just slightly higher than what I would've been charged for the same services, it's not too far off though.

#5 ·
I have done my own maintenance for years now, so I do gasp at what some people pay and NOT have a good gauge of the relative costs, since I save so much doing it myself, easily $350 if NOT more.

My guess is, a good independent shop might have only charged $300 for the same service. But a good independent is hard to find, and if you just went to the closest one, it would NOT be shocking to find they used all the wrong fluids and just filled them up with what ever they had on hand. Sadly, there are more than one dealer that will do the same as well.

You have to go to the dealer to get keys programmed, some anti-theft equipment serviced and some manufacturer aftermarket (Mopar Performance/Accessories) equipment programmed. Some independent shops can do the electronic diagnosis and procedures because they have invested in the outrageiously expensive tools needed to do this (and the outrageous cost for the tools are purely from the manufacturer's deliberatly doing this).

Things like fluid changes? Any shop can do that, its just a matter of do you trust them to use the right fluid?

#6 ·
I have done my own maintenance for years now, so I do gasp at what some people pay and NOT have a good gauge of the relative costs, since I save so much doing it myself, easily $350 if NOT more.

My guess is, a good independent shop might have only charged $300 for the same service. But a good independent is hard to find, and if you just went to the closest one, it would NOT be shocking to find they used all the wrong fluids and just filled them up with what ever they had on hand. Sadly, there are more than one dealer that will do the same as well.

You have to go to the dealer to get keys programmed, some anti-theft equipment serviced and some manufacturer aftermarket (Mopar Performance/Accessories) equipment programmed. Some independent shops can do the electronic diagnosis and procedures because they have invested in the outrageiously expensive tools needed to do this (and the outrageous cost for the tools are purely from the manufacturer's deliberatly doing this).

Things like fluid changes? Any shop can do that, its just a matter of do you trust them to use the right fluid?
Purchase the right fluids and pay an independent shop to do it. It will likely cost way less and you will be sure of the proper/superior fluids.

#8 ·
I just purchased a 2007 Commander with the 5.7l and almost 96k on the odometer. I'm bringing it home sometime next week and pretty sure the previous owner never changed the drive train fluids. I would have expected to see the scheduled maintenance service show up on the carfax report.

I'm used to working on cars ...but more like pre 2000 stuff. I'd love to save some money and do it myself in the driveway, if its not too difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.