Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my commander serviced @ dealership they said brake pads had to be replacced 54K on them I can understand that. With oil change and brakes got out of there for under $250.00. When I was getting my vehicle back the service advisor stated that when I come in for my 60K service I will spend no less than 1,000.00 for the service, tune up, coolant change and transmission service:(

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Holy Crap.

What exactly is a tuneup? I think nowdays it's just new plugs. You have 16, say $2 each, that's $32 + 1hr for a tuneup, Tranny service should be $75ish, they're probably figuring $200 to change the axle fluids... WOW.

At 60k miles, not being under warranty, I'd certainly take it to an independent shop to have them perform the necessary items. No reason to go to the Jeep house for service any more. I'd change plugs myself, in fact I did at 30k.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
You could at least do the oil, plugs, air filter, and coolant change yourself. Save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I've said it before -- will say it again. If you don't do your own service the maintenance plans will pay for themselves tenfold. If you do not do your own service BUY THE MAINTENANCE PLAN!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that doing the maintenance myself will save me money, I get that, however I do not like getting grease under my finger nails nor do I want to store necessary iteams to complete the task.
I have a bumper to bumper warranty and I'm affaird that if myself, or if I hire lets say Jiffy lube to take care of my oil and transmission maintenance that would void warranty.
When vehicle had little over 30K on it, the transmition screwed up, the service advisor indicated to me that the only reason they covered repairing transmission was because the insurance service writer had seen where I did necessary maintenance on transmission signed off by a authorized mechanic. So RUBI, I for one drive my commander daily it does not sit in garage until the weekends as my sig displays I have 2006. How many miles does your commader have? I have a little over 54000 miles on it. I purchased 100,000 mile extended warranty on vehicle, why would I jepordize loosing that warranty?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ranger6882 said:
So RUBI, I for one drive my commander daily it does not sit in garage until the weekends as my sig displays I have 2006. How many miles does your commader have? I have a little over 54000 miles on it. I purchased 100,000 mile extended warranty on vehicle, why would I jepordize loosing that warranty?
I am confused why this question was directed to me?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
As long as you have proof (receipts) showing that the maintenance was done, there should not be a question. Doesn't matter who did it, as long as it was completed. However, nobody is not telling you not to spend the money and take it to the dealer, just letting you know that there is a cheaper way to do it. Your money, your choice.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
CrzCajun said:
As long as you have proof (receipts) showing that the maintenance was done, there should not be a question. Doesn't matter who did it, as long as it was completed. However, nobody is not telling you not to spend the money and take it to the dealer, just letting you know that there is a cheaper way to do it. Your money, your choice.
I wasn't even telling him to take it elsewhere. You can get maintenance plans from your dealer which is where I got mine from.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
I wasn't even telling him to take it elsewhere. You can get maintenance plans from your dealer which is where I got mine from.
I'm trying to remember if I was offered a maintenance plan. Is that something that you had to purchase up front or can you get it after.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I'm trying to remember if I was offered a maintenance plan. Is that something that you had to purchase up front or can you get it after.
Not sure if you can get it after but yes it was offered up front with the different extended warranty options. It is like the extended warranty in that I can extend it any time before it expires.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
At my dealer, when you go to the service write up area, they have a large sign promoting the maintenance plans. Different levels of service at different prices. But you can get quite a discount by purchasing the services in bulk vs one at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
60K service

Stick with the dealership for the service. If you check you transmission fluid you will notice there is no dipstick. The transmission fluid needs to be checked at a certain operating temperature, the dealer will use a computer called a starscan to verify the proper temperature. If this is not done it is very easy to overfill the transmission which will create an incredible mess, or not get enough fluid into the car which is also not good. The fluid is a synthetic fluid called ATF+4 that is not always available in aftermarket repair facilities. There are some vehicles equipped with differentials that require a specific additive not always used by the aftermarket facilities. I also would not call replacing the spark plugs easy but it could be done in a back yard.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Each of my 12k services cost in the region of $550 and $750 over here in England.

Not had to replace brakes yet or coolant!!!

And at circa $12 for a gallon of Desiel its very tough over here!!!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Joe_Clizbe said:
Stick with the dealership for the service. If you check you transmission fluid you will notice there is no dipstick.
Just as an FYI, this is only on the 3.7L due to their using a last generation Mercedes S-class transmission. The 4.7L and Hemi equipped XKs -- which use a Dodge sourced transmission -- have a transmission fluid dipstick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I apologize for the miss information. The 545RFE transmissions do have a dipstick but the fluid is level is measured on the dipstick in millimeters and there are different ranges for different temperatures. It is still somewhat complicated, still requires a scan tool, and still creates a heck of a mess if it is overfilled. I actually work for a dealership and cannot stand seeing someone write negative statements about bringing the vehicle back to the dealership for service. It is incorrect that the dealer is more expensive in all cases. I would rather have a technician who has been trained on my $40000 vehicle working on it than I would some shadetree or chainstore mechanic. They do not have the training on the vehicle and everything about the electronics in todays cars require extensive training to be properly worked on.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i'm sorry. i do not agree with you at all.

its not that complicated to work on your own vehicle.

i've worked on European, Japanese, and American vehicles. i've done everything except rebuild an engine. i'd rather pay someone to do that. i have swapped engines, transmissions, and axles.

the only ones that i hate to touch are Fords. everything is easy.

i think the techs think you need some degree to work on a vehicle. all you need is some common sense, tools, and the ability to read a book.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts