Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The wait is going to drive me nuts! I got approval from higher headquarters (the wife) for funds to buy one as soon as they're available to order. Large marge will be 12 by then and long due to be put to pasture as the spare Jeep. Chrysler better hit it out of the ball park or I'll buy a Grand Wag from Wagonmaster or Grandwagoneer.com out in California.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I apologize in advance for the lack of attribution, but a while back I read an article about how Chrysler engineers had spent a day at Wagonmaster taking tons of pics and measurements. They also picked the brains of the staff about the Grand Wag. Another article I read much more recently said that the upcoming Grand Wag would be appointed and priced to compete with the Range Rover (!). Given the really long lead time before release, I sincerely hope that what we are waiting on is not a tarted-up Durango but a properly sized 7-8 pax Jeep. The upsizing may challenge the engineers to still reach Trail Rated capability, but given that a very low percentage of grand Cherokees and Commanders ever see any off-roading perhaps a Trail Rated version isn't even needed. I would certainly hope that if the Range Rover is in fact the target, the new Grand Wag has off-road chops. Chrysler really has a daunting task ahead no less difficult for the harping of fan-boys like yours truly. Mike Manley, get to work! Cheers. Jorge

·
Registered
167 Posts
Would be great to bring back the Grand Wagoneer.

One of my favorite things about the XK is how it has shades of the XJ while harkening back to the Grand Wagoneer in utility, big body, seating, and big engine.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Rumor was it was suppose to be based on the Dodge Durango, with a fold up 3rd row seat. Of course that was years ago, and if it was true, they would have rolled out the Grand Wagoneer by now. So who knows, maybe it will be something really original.

I've just come from the Allpar.com forums, the news is grim about the next Jeep Wrangler, well informed speculation from industry insiders says it will switch to IFS and be far less capable off road than previous Wranglers.

So, the Grand Wagoneer may just be a big typical SUV, I hope its NOT true, but it seems Fiat at the Helm has been even more disastrous for Jeep than Ceberus and Daimler.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Should base it on the Dodge Power Wagon chassis.

A Wrangler with IFS has been rumored for decades it seems. Personally, I doubt it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They need one to come out faster should have never discon. The commander... fools
AGREED. So say we all!

But the issue will be price point with me at least. As JeepJorge stated that the target in the RR market, that puts it out of my price range. I know, I know... I have an Overland. But I didn't pay MSRP for it. I stumbled bass-ackwards into the 800 dealership shut down liquidation sale of '09 and got it for considerably less. Doubt that lightning will strike twice.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wag-swag-jeep-bringing-classic-grand-wagoneer-nameplate-back/

Wag Swag! Jeep Bringing Classic Grand Wagoneer Nameplate Back!
May 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm by Alexander Stoklosa | Photography by NBC Newswire via Getty Images

Among Jeep’s presentation to investors covering the brand’s plans for the next few years was a juicy but exciting piece of news: The Wag’s back, people! We are of course referring to the Wagoneer nameplate, which last adorned a Jeep product in the early ’90s. For 2018, Jeep will affix the Grand Wagoneer name to a plus-sized, more-luxurious Grand Cherokee with a third-row seat. If this formula sounds familiar, that’s because Jeep tried a similar tack with the ungainly Commander a few years back. Unlike that boxy, oddly proportioned behemoth—which was unwisely introduced just before gas prices spiked and more-efficient three-row crossovers were coming into vogue—we suspect the new Wagoneer will hew closer to the original model’s recipe. That means a more opulent interior than other Jeeps, along with a certain je ne sais quoi, which we hope will again take the form of body-side wood paneling.

Based on Jeep’s plan to totally redesign the Grand Cherokee for 2017, look for the Grand Wagoneer to ride on the GC’s updated architecture instead of using today’s bones. The three-row rig, if executed as well as today’s Grand Cherokee, should prove to be quite the moneymaker for Jeep, especially since Sergio Marchionne has stated that it’s intended to be a Land Rover competitor. Just make sure it has lots of wood where the world can enjoy it, OK, guys?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wag-swag-jeep-bringing-classic-grand-wagoneer-nameplate-back/

Wag Swag! Jeep Bringing Classic Grand Wagoneer Nameplate Back!
May 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm by Alexander Stoklosa | Photography by NBC Newswire via Getty Images

That tool Stoklosa is a douchebag. Calling the Commander oddly proportioned and a behemoth shows what a hack and five-times-distilled ignoramus he is. The same goes for the brains trust at Chrysler who decided to discontinue the Commander. If only properly supported, Commanders would be selling quite well; certainly no worse than the 300C. Seems like Jeep management rarely misses a chance to bollix-up a good thing. IFS on the Wrangler?! For pity's sake, who the hell is running the show? Ford engineers? :mofo:
On a different point, I'm greatly heartened by Mongo's insight re: the size of the upcoming Grand Wag. I hadn't thought about his view that if the GW is to be a tarted-up Durango, it would be on sale already. I'm really hoping Mongo's right and the GW is going to be properly sized.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Should base it on the Dodge Power Wagon chassis.

A Wrangler with IFS has been rumored for decades it seems. Personally, I doubt it.
The Dodge Power Wagon is body on Frame, isn't it?

The problem is CAFE, you've got to balance out the less fuel efficient vehicles you sell with more fuel efficient models.

Capable Pick Up's are huge business for Chrysler, their NOT going to jeopardize their best seller's.

So the other vehicles are going to have to be more fuel efficient.

I doubt you'll see any vehicle other than Ram Trucks and the Wrangler be body on frame, the rest will all be uni-body.

The reason we likely haven't seen the Wagoneer yet is because when they redesigned the Grand Cherokee for 2011 they never made an provisions in the design and assembly line for Wagoneer body. I guess a Fender & Grill Massaged version of the Durango didn't test well in market research, and we're probably lucky we didn't get a Wagoneer like that right away. So, now that they are planning out the 2017 Grand Cherokee and its assembly line, they are including designing for a Wagoneer Body on the Grand Cherokee platform/architecture.

We'll see, if they degrade the Grand Cherokee even more with a greater emphasis on being a "Luxury" Crossover Utility Vehicle, the Wagoneer will likely be the same thing. Probably sell well, but you won't be seeing any off road. To hope, I certainly would like even better off road ability with a longer travel IFS, but that is NOT the trend coming from FCA right now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
With some of the latest things to roll out from jeep I can honestly say i'm worried about the wagoneer. I just hope it looks like a jeep, and has the ability to traverse more than a mall parking lot. ;)

On a side note, Am I the only one who prefers the "Commander" name over the "Wagoneer"?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The "Commander" is a cool name. Sounds tough. But the "Wagoneer" is cooler to me for historical purposes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts