Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ordered some redline 75w140 off ebay. 5 quarts for 57 bucks shipped. spoke with redline and they said i wouldnt need the hypoid additive. thought it was a good deal. everyplace else wanted 18 bucks a liter

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats a pretty good price. I would go ahead and put it in, and see if you need to add the friction modifier, if you have a problem. I put some Royal Purple in mine and have had no problems, with not adding the friction modifier.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What does the numbers and letter represent when buying Motor Oil?
He's refering to gear oil, not motor oil.
I'm not sure exactly how to explaing the numbers other then different numbers being different weights of oil.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
What does the numbers and letter represent when buying Motor Oil?
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm
Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
He's refering to gear oil, not motor oil.
I'm not sure exactly how to explaing the numbers other then different numbers being different weights of oil.
How did you come to the conclusion that he is referring to gear oil? I being mechanically challenged. I interpreted that being a wierd weight of motor oil I have never heard of!:icon_confused:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
(such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.[/I]
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How did you come to the conclusion that he is referring to gear oil? I being mechanically challenged. I interpreted that being a wierd weight of motor oil I have never heard of!:icon_confused:
Im confused as to what you are asking. Are you asking me how i knew he was talking about gear oil. If that I what your asking its because engine oil doesnt come in 75W140 and also would be putting friction modifier into the engine. Plus I have changed the gear oil in the front and rear differentials twice since I have owned my XK and know what oil it takes!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Im confused as to what you are asking. Are you asking me how i knew he was talking about gear oil. If that I what your asking its because engine oil doesnt come in 75W140 and also would be putting friction modifier into the engine. Plus I have changed the gear oil in the front and rear differentials twice since I have owned my XK and know what oil it takes!
I thought it was a weird weight of motor oil. I had know idea it was gear oil.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry should have been more specific. 75w140 is gear oil for qd2 and probably others. hypoid additive is some special lubricant that should be added to the gear oil to keep the lsd from chattering. for most companies you need to buy the additive. for redline and several others the additive is part of the product

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The title of this is "75w140 Gear Oil"

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Oh, well then I see why he might have been confused!

Sorry Ranger!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont...lol...jk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do i need a gasket for the diff cover or do i use rtv? if i need rtv what type?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No you dont need a gasket, use RTV. Either you can go to the dealer and buy what they use or go to the parts store and buy some. The dealer will charge you and arm and a leg for RTV. I think I was quoted like $40 dollars or something like that for a tube. Thats damm crazy. I bought Permatex "The Right Stuff" Gasket maker from Pepboys and it works great. It dries quick and I have had no leaks what so ever.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts