Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went on a run with some folks from TrailDamage, a buddy of mine invited me along to ride shotgun. I didn't expect to run the trail, but everyone wanted to see what my Commander could do, so I ran it as well. It was a long day, didn't get back home until 0015 this morning, but it was a fun day of wheeling trails I'd never done before.

We had 10 Jeeps on trail. We started with Pomeroy Lakes, then went over to the Alpine Tunnel, and ended up with Williams Pass. We were going to do Tomichi Pass as well but ran out of time. Williams Pass is very interesting. It's only open in August since its maintained by another group, and though its not hard, the west side of it is very narrow since you're basically running the creekbed up to the summit, and the bushes are very dense and right on the trail. The Commander has a whole bunch of pinstriping that needs to be buffed out now! We also had to run a mud bog up there, and we all made it through without a winch, even my landbarge.

Here are some shots:

After the mud bog:

]

Here's a link to my Photobucket album: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k18/rwmorrisonjr/Trail Damage run 2008_08_02/

I was really hoping to have a "phunkey" incident so I could get my 4.7 bumper courtesy of the insurance company, but no such luck! The mudflaps were a casualty, lost one in the creekbed, removed the others today, makes a cleaner look. Also have a tire gash that's slowly leaking, time for a replacement at Discount Tire tomorrow!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Very nice pics!!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nice pics. Everybody seems to be having a good ole time with their commander lately. I need to get back out on the trail. Can't wait for the trip in Sept. Beautiful scenary also. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The rack looks real nice on there, how did you mount the CB antenna?

·
2,248 Posts
It looks like he drilled a hole thru the cowling and mounted the CB antenna thru it. It does make for a short antenna lead in. I would think that you would get more distance with it on the roof, but maybe it does not matter.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great pics thanks for sharing them with the forum.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Looks like you were the only commander, right? did you have any issues or did you make it throught every thing everyone else did?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was the only XK out there, and got some really funny looks when the "battleship" would come through, especially through the tight stuff. Wheeling it does help improve my skills and judgment about lines and clearance. Now I just need the 4" lift to be really cool...

49er, I didn't drill for the antenna. That's a Maxrad antenna on a lip mount, clips right to the edge of the hood and two hex screws secure it from below. The wire runs across the cowl and in on the passenger side, then back across to the radio as its mounted in the dash cubby by the driver's door. I'm getting 1-2 miles easily with this setup. I might go to a roof or rack mount later, but this works fine for now and my uses.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
is it one that stays up there or does it fold over, hinged?

I have a question about the roof mount fog lights. I have seen this on other Commanders, but it looks to me like they are mounted pretty far back. Roughly in the middle of the jeep. Are they effective from there? What lights did you use? I have seen several of these on the forum.....always wondered.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Looks like fun! Great pics! Can't wait to get back into the woods again!

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Beautiful country and great pics! I love your taste in roof racks and light bars. ;)

As for the "phunkey" incidents, I feel like I have had a rash of those lately.

I'll be much happier with the steel bumper and winch.

I'm going to have to come up and hit a trail with you some time.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a plan. If I'd know about Pagosa Springs I would've come down for the outing. I'd like to get a group of XK owners out here together to go wheeling, that would be an impressive sight.

These things happen when you wheel. Just allows us to mod more! :D

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
These things happen when you wheel. Just allows us to mod more! :D
Isn't that the truth RW. The first thing my wife said when she looked at the front bumper was, "I am not going back out with you until you get that steel bumber from that guy in WY and a winch".

Talk about good luck. Well the very next day I ordered my bumper from GetLost4x4.com. This week I will be ordering a Warn 71800 winch. :D

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice, way to go!:D

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Phunkeydude said:
This week I will be ordering a Warn 71800 winch. :D
Did you find a good price? fourwheelparts.com says they will not be undersold!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice, definitely need pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd like to get outside of the Springs sometime, let me know when you're going out next and maybe I can ad one more XK to the ride.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Great pics! I hit a local mud hole recently, and started the itch to get back out on the trails, real bad. Going camping this weekend, so I'm hoping there's somewhere I can kick up a little more mud.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.