Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the deal. If there is enough interest we will do another night of free drag racing, All the runs that we can get in on a Test N Tune night at the dragstrip. www.speedworlddragstrip.com We will want to go on a night that does not have any other event to get the most runs in. Looking at the schedule. it looks like the 9th of August, which will also give you guys enough advanced planning time to go. Saturday night, all night as many runs as we can do. Will take turns. The bracket car is a Mustang with a crate motor. Not the fastest, but it does give a thrill and is solid so it will not break and spoil the night. Just pay to get in as a driver, should be $20 and you can also register your car in case you want to try it out. This is much safer than street racing and you should bring along your wife and /or kids if you want to. Here is the bracket race car.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might even come up with a prize for the lowest E.T. of the night.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Highly recommended event. I will put it on my calendar when I get home. And the car is a blast to drive!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Bump... Anyone else interested?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looks like you and me, Jon. Maybe we can get AJ and OldMacdonald to go. Anybody else in the Phoenix area for next Saturday night. Should not be too hot in the evening. Maybe we need a million dollar purse to get someone there.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I looks like 49er, AJ, OldMcdonald and I are it for the night after tomorrow. Anyone else in the Phoenix area is welcome. Just bumping the thread to be sure you know about it.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Do you have a start time?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I copied this from their web site.

Saturday Night Street Drags!
Time: 7:00 PM

Details:
Bring it to the Track ! Calling all Street Cars.. this is your night. Bring it to the track and race all night. No set program just racing all night for fun! Gates open at 7PM, Racing starts at 8PM and running till Midnight. 'Special Discount Rate'; $20 Car and Driver, Spectators $10 (12 & under free)

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A49er gives it his best shot, burns up

Now this story is mostly true, it happened last night in front of impeccable witnesses, well fellow forum members anyway, you judge for yourself.

It was the second meeting and drag racing session of the Phoenix Four, illustrious members of the local chapter of the Jeep Commander Forum.
A49er, AJguy, Old Macdonald, and Me.

I did the first run of the night to make sure that the car was safe and to get an idea of how well it would run. I had a secret agenda in that the first run of the night is usually the fastest and lowest ET of the night.

I even did a second run to make sure, both runs were within a few hundreths of a second.

Then we started to take turns making runs. The guys and both AJ and Josh's wives also took turns. With passengers the times were a little slower. After about a dozen runs I thought I would make it more interesting. I was relatively sure that with a dozen runs already, the car was not going to get any faster last night. So, I told Jon, (a49erfan) that there was a prize for the lowest ET of the night of a Million Dollars.

Let me tell you, ole Jon got plumb serious, First he kicked out any passengers.

He was a man on a mission.

His best time of the night was only about 18/100 of a second off my first time.

He started making run after run to shave off that time.

We all just got in the cheap seats and watched.

He would make a run, come back down the return lane and just zone out in the staging lanes concentrating.

He opened the trunk, I thought he was gonna throw out my big ole speakers. Then he tried to remove the rear seats.

But I really thought it was funny when he started throwing out my loose change from the center console.

For a while when he was looking at his clothes, we all thought we were gonna see nekkid drag racing.

He was doing anything he could to get a little lighter and faster.

Someone said he was asking in the staging lanes about Jet fuel.

He was as consistant with his runs as I have seen in awhile. He was doing perfect burnouts. He was tearing up the track. He did his last run of the night at 11:45, just before closing.

We were watching for him but he did not come back from the end of the track.

Then here he comes walking out of the dark.

He burned out the clutch on his final run of the night.

I think he was yelling as he did the last run "I'll beat his time or burn this car down"

We had to push it back to the pits and put it on the trailer.

I'll tell you what, he gave me some anxious moments there as I was thinking about coming up with the prize money.

New clutch is already ordered.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Funny story!!! Sounds like you guys and girls had a great time.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Well if Bill had not glued the spare change to the center console and welded the seat in I might have had a chance! After further inspection I discovered that he also pulled one plug wire and put sugar in the gas tank. :)

It was fun , I made 15 runs and keep waiting for someone to step out of the cheap seats to drive but they were all afraid!

Bill had two very impressive runs or 15.157 (90.09 mph) and 15.286 (88.06 mph), the best two runs I had were at 15.319 (87.51 mph) and 15.391 (87.75).

Next time I will bring out the smart car! Thanks Bill for a great time!

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are three pictures.

The first is the view that we had of Jon most of the night. Watching him on a mission to lower his ET.

Several guys pushing the car onto the trailer after the clutch went up in smoke.

Jon tying down the car at the end of the night.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

Looks like Bill running over someones head if you ask me... :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
when are we going to see what the commander does in the 1/4. lol

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This picture is from the first night of racing a few months ago. It is AJguy versus A49er, both running Hemi's. They will have to give you the results, I do remember that it was in the low 16's I think.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Here are the results from last time:

A.J. and I took three passes (2 side by side), the results are as follows:

Pass 1

A.J. 16.589 @ 83.956
Jon 16.394 @ 84.418

Pass 2

A.J. 16.470 @ 83.579
Jon 16.383 @ 84.165

Pass 3

A.J. will have to post his numbers
Jon 15.983 @ 85.623 (Best time and fastest run for the night)

AVERAGE OF 3: 16.25

My fast time of 15.983 was better than the slowest speed I got in the Mustang of 16.418

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.