Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the gas price I have been putting 87 octane in my Hemi and I know the manual recommends 89 will I dammage the fuel sysytem in the long run? I would like to know how many members run 87 or 89 octane in their Hemis?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you calculate the difference, it's only 2-4 dollars per fill-up.

I run 89 Octane in mine.

Later, TexasHemi

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you dont hear the engine knocking I doubt the 87 will hurt it but as pointed out above probably you will get slightly different (lower) gas mileage. Personally, for the difference to me as I dont drive long distances except on a trip I just use 89. So you know, places like Chevron put in more cleaning agents the higher up the octane grade you go. john

·
Registered
232 Posts
87 octane will give you worse gas milage than 89 octane. Whether it's wort it too you to run the cheaper gas depends on the percentage difference of the gas mileage.

For example, if you normally average 15 mpg with 89 octane and get 14 mpg with 87 octane, the difference is about 7%. Where I'm at, 87 octane is $3.00/gal., 89 octane is $3.13/gal. At 7% difference, 89 octane would have to cost about $3.21/gal to equal things out with buying 87 octane. Although 87 octane looks cheaper, in the long run it would cost you more.

John

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
I have used 87 in mine since it was new and it runs just fine. I did try a couple of tanks of 89 to see if the mpg improved but it didn't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Owners manual says to run mid grade, which I guess is 88 or 89 octane depending on the altitude. There was a thread or 2 on this awhile back where someone actually explained why it mattered. I tend to run my vehicles to 150K-200K before getting rid of them so I tend to be more careful on following operating/maintenance recomendations as it is generally down the road that poor maintenance, bad fuel will have an affect. If your gonna run it till 50K & sell it, then it won't matter in fact you can water the fuel down to get better gas milage (just kidding). But if you want it for the long haul then it will effect it either in engine damage or higher repair costs eventually.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
From the Owner's Manual (2006):

FUEL REQUIREMENTS
3.7/4.7L Engines (If Equipped)

All engines (except 5.7L engines) are designed
to meet all emissions regulations
and provide excellent fuel economy and
performance when using high quality unleaded
“regular” gasoline having an octane
rating of 87. The use of premium
gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions,
the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit
over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances
may result in poorer performance.

5.7L Engines (If Equipped)​

The 5.7L engine is designed to meet all
emissions regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when
using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane
range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use
of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of
premium gasoline is not recommended. Under normal
conditions, the use of premium gasoline will not provide
a benefit over high quality regular and mid-grade gasolines,
and in some circumstances may result in poorer
performance.
Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to
your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at
high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is
required.
Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard
starting, stalling and hesitations. If you experience these
symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering
service for the vehicle.​

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have experimented with mine and I undoubtedly got better mileage and performance on the 89. You are not saving anything by running 87 based on how my Hemi runs. As mentioned above. $2 a tank is worth messing arounfd with anyhow.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Damn, I guess my next few tanks will be 89 and not the usual 87 I run because I'm cheap! Damn numbers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I get better mpg (only about 1 mpg) on the cheap crap and no engine ping or no notable performance gain or drop. Beings an engine requires more ethanol to make the same power, most of the time the engine will not run like crap. Unless it's under heavy loads all the time. I know at least one will disagree but this is what I have see when I'm on the highway since my speed is more constant. I don’t see a difference in city driving since speed is not so constant. It's probably better to run the mid grade in the winter time since the ethanol dissipates water so there is not need to put the bottle of stuff in the tank and the ethanol will keep the fuel system cleaner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been using regular for several months, with no change in my gas mileage or anything noticeable in terms of performance. I drive it about 4,000 miles a month, so I would have notice anything drastic by now, I'm sure. With that many miles, the 10 cents per gallon does add up. I know we have different fuel qualities in different areas, so that may play a part. I'm in east TN.

Katy

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
4.7 not a Hemi

I have a 4.7, I read thru posts a couple weeks ago so decided to try the 89 instead over the 87. it costs about .10 more a gallon, but i am getting .8 better mpg. In reality, i am saving .05 per mile by buying the 89 instead of 87
It isnt a huge savings, but it is cleaner fuel. I plan to keep this Jeep a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts