Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just rolled over 90k and looking at my manual it seems I need to do some maintenence. I have had her since 60k and really only changed the filter to a [email protected], changed the plugs with copper champions, and the engine oil.

Obviously I probally need to change the diff fluids. Should I also do the transfer case fluid and transmission all at once?

As for plugs I changed them around 15-20k and notice the hemi is a bit more sluggish. Should I swap them out with a longer lasting plug? I have read conflicting reports on this?

Fuel filter has also not been changed so thats on my list.

As for oil I have ran conventional penzoil and it seems to be doing just fine. Should I keep with this oil or change it out now?

My goal is to keep this jeep forever. I am about to take over driving it as I'm buying the wife a new ride. Mods are coming soon as well so I want to get it in tip top shape. Any other ideas are welcome, thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
As for plugs I changed them around 15-20k and notice the hemi is a bit more sluggish. Should I swap them out with a longer lasting plug? I have read conflicting reports on this?
The HEMI runs best with the OEM copper Champion plugs.

Fuel filter has also not been changed so thats on my list.
The fuel filter is a "lifetime" part and can not be changed. It is located inside the fuel tank. Go figure.
As for oil I have ran conventional penzoil and it seems to be doing just fine. Should I keep with this oil or change it out now?

My goal is to keep this jeep forever.
Since your goal is "to keep this jeep forever" you should be using a high quality full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I use Mobil 1 in mine, as do a lot of the enthusiast members here, but Royal Purple is also excellent. And since you have a HEMI you must use 5W-20 weight oil or the MDS (Multi Displacement System) will not function properly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you plan on changing the transfer case fluid (extremely easy) let me know. I have 3 quarts of it in my closet that I bought and never used that I will sell to you for a lot cheaper than the local dealership! Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The HEMI runs best with the OEM copper Champion plugs.

The fuel filter is a "lifetime" part and can not be changed. It is located inside the fuel tank. Go figure.

Since your goal is "to keep this jeep forever" you should be using a high quality full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I use Mobil 1 in mine, as do a lot of the enthusiast members here, but Royal Purple is also excellent. And since you have a HEMI you must use 5W-20 weight oil or the MDS (Multi Displacement System) will not function properly.
Thanks for the info! I plan on contacting the dealer to see how insanely high they will charge for the services. If it is reasonable I'll have them do it. If not I'll do it.

As for the fluid I might take you up on that depending on how much the deal quotes me!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Let me know I will sell it to you for less lol. I'm pretty sure the dealer charges like 15$ a quart. But let me know man it's just collecting dust! Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts