Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the 7 pin OEM tow wiring on my Commander and after it's installed it requires the use of a Starscan tool to enable the L/R tow relays so I went to my local Chrysler dealer to see how much they would charge me and the guy said it was $98 to "reprogram" the computer and that it would take about 1 to 1.5 hours to do; does that sound about right? Am I being taken for a fool? I'm not familiar with the Starscan tool but I would think that it's a simple connection to the computer port under the dash and with following the simple instructions provided by Mopar it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to do. Should I "shop" around for a better price? Has anybody enabled the tow relays on their XK?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Should you shop around? Any time in life that you are concerned about the cost of something you should shop around, worst case scenario is that you'll spend a few minutes on the phone or the internet and find out the price wasn't as egregious as you thought. Since you're on here making this post you're obviously concerned about the price, some people would just pay the 98.00 and get on with their life.

Seems high to me, they usually charge one hour labor to do anything that requires programming using the computer. Call around and find out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i'm not sure about the commander, but it may be more complex than you think. sometimes with the tow package they also change some of the engine and transmission parameters for better performance with a load in tow. sometimes this includes changing the temp at which the fan comes on as well as different shift points & when the torque converter locks up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i'm not sure about the commander, but it may be more complex than you think. sometimes with the tow package they also change some of the engine and transmission parameters for better performance with a load in tow. sometimes this includes changing the temp at which the fan comes on as well as different shift points & when the torque converter locks up.
I doubt it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You both have a point. I just thought it was a little too high just to push a couple of buttons on the Starscan tool. The Mopar instructions provided with the wiring detail the programming steps and you litterally push like 3 buttons and it's done to enable the relays, that's why I felt as if maybe they were over charging.

Doc in AZ, you have a point too. Although I won't be towing anything larger than a 5x8 trailer it would make sense if they had to do that.

If I have to pay $98 for programming then so it is and I'll just do it after I install the OEM foglights so they might as well program those and I'll get my money's worth =).

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I like your foglight idea as pertains to reprogramming.
But, since you are in N/E Illinois we have many dealers in the area even after Chrysler thinned things out.
Make some calls and shop around.....that seems a bit much to me.....1/2 hour base time, fine, a full hour......com'on now.

My thoughts,
Rob

Doc, all good thoughts but this is not a re-programming event.
It is simply enabling the ECM to recognize the changes and turn on the appropriate capabilities.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I paid a hundred bucks for them to install the hitch, wiring and program.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*No Matter* sounds like an awesome deal, was that at the dealer?

I was also thinking they were probably charging me that since I did not purchase the Jeep at their dealer, I actually bought it at a Carmax.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Any good dealer should do it for free if you can leave it for the day and not on a Friday. It is not labor intensive but does require someone who could be doing something else to work on it. The dealer usually will eat the cost or at least lower it if you ask. Your continued patronage and recommendation is worth far more than 98 bucks to the dealer, of which little goes to pay the guy reprogramming you jeep. In other words it doesn't cost them that much.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE- I just got my tow relays enabled in addition to the fog lamps and daytime driving lamps enabled. I ended up paying $115 at a Chrysler dealer to enable all 3 but I'm pretty happy and not complaining now. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I actually found a dealer in Houston, TX that will do the programming for $49. I called around and he was having a "special". When I talked to the guy he told me he would honor that price since it was like free money to him since it required very little work and tech time.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually found a dealer in Houston, TX that will do the programming for $49. I called around and he was having a "special". When I talked to the guy he told me he would honor that price since it was like free money to him since it required very little work and tech time.
That is really cheap because I did call around to 4 different dealers and the cheapest I found was $98 but the closest one to me at the moment was one that charged $115. I didn't mind paying the extra $17 to have all 3 things enabled today.

It is unfortunate though that they charge so much since it literally took them about 10 minutes to do this since like you said it requires very little work if any at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts