Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I could really use some help.

2 years ago, I bought an A/C compressor, brand new, that's been "tested" from the factory. It was installed a year ago, with the pressure sensor removed, so the clutch was never engaged. Today, I paid to have a new dryer installed and the system evac'd and recharged, just to find that the compressor clutch doesn't engage. We applied 12V directly to the compressor testing the clutch, and it is indeed dead.

I haven't looked into it much yet, but do you guys know if it's viable to buy and install a new clutch kit, and even better, do it while installed on the vehicle (with loads of cussing of course) so I don't have to evacuate and recharge again?

Summer time is starting, so I really need to get my A/C going without spending a fortune to redo the (thrown away) $400 I've already spent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My a/c clutch stopped working on my old cherokee. there was a plastic spacer washer between the pulley and the clutch. i removed the spacer which decreased the gap and the clutch started working again.

longshot...maybe you have a similar issue? is it generating magnetic field or is it completely graveyard dead?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we applied 5V to the compressor, and the clutch didn't move. I managed to buy a brand new coil for $20, I'm gonna tear the thing apart on sunday and try to swap it out and see what happens.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're gonna need more than 5V. Clutch draws 3.3A @ 12VDC...
that was a dumb statement on my part, they used an alligator clip directly from the battery, it was 12V.

New info though, I replaced the coil, and nothing.

I did some more research, and saw one guy fixing his AC with a slightly different problem, and he was able to press in his clutch with his fingers. I however cannot. And I don't know if this is normal for my Jeep. Can anyone with a hemi put fingers on they're clutch and see if they have different results from me?

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I did some more research, and saw one guy fixing his AC with a slightly different problem, and he was able to press in his clutch with his fingers. I however cannot. And I don't know if this is normal for my Jeep. Can anyone with a hemi put fingers on they're clutch and see if they have different results from me?
I got my fingers on it, but it is tight location and couldn't get good push, but no mine didn't move with the light pushing I did.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man... Thanks for the attempt. This is getting annoying. It's really starting to warm up outside and it'd be really nice to have A/C again...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My a/c clutch stopped working on my old cherokee. there was a plastic spacer washer between the pulley and the clutch. i removed the spacer which decreased the gap and the clutch started working again.

longshot...maybe you have a similar issue? is it generating magnetic field or is it completely graveyard dead?
I was considering this myself. Worse case scenario, it still doesn't work and I need a new compressor. When I get a chance to give it a try, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
@SkulhunterM42 did you ever find an A/C clutch rebuild kit? I am getting a squeak (seems from the A/c pulley) when I start when the engine is cold. Only lasts for a 90 seconds or so, them I hear a click and it goes away. Won't happen again until every thing under the hood is air temperature. I got to tell you, that's a very small window to find a noise, then wait a couple of hours to try again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts