Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the basic climate control system in my '06 3.7. I've noticed that whenever I have it set to either of the last two cold notches the A/C blows its coldest. If it's 3rd from the last notch or anything higher though, it blows considerably warmer.

Are the last two cold notches some sort of "max A/C" setting? Whether the vehicle is set to re-circulate or not makes no difference. Also, will using the colder setting affect my MPG differently compared to any other setting with the A/C on?

And as gee-whiz questions, does the A/C have much impact at all on MPG based on my engine size? Since the A/C doesn't blow too cold (more particularly when not on the last two notches), would an A/C recharge probably be in order?

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well nitemare, you don't say how many miles are on your Commander, but it can't hurt to get your A/C checked out. It should run colder on the "max" setting since it is not taking out side air in and is just recirculating inside air only. On the regular a/c setting it is taking in out side air and cooling it, making it not as cold as "max."

I guess there are different schools of thought with the gas mileage aspect. Some say your gas mileage is the same if your windows are closed and a/c on as the a/c off with your windows open.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 124,000 miles on her. Not sure if previous owner ever serviced A/C or not, but I know the carfax said he had the blower fan motor replaced.

I've heard that the "max" A/C setting recirculates air from the cabin, but the thing is, we have a vent setting to do that ourselves. Even if I just started the Jeep up on a hot day with it hotter inside the cabin than outside, the air blows colder when it is on the "max" position versus the others. For this reason, I believe it has something more to do than with just re-circulation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
interesting....

I had a 1990 Nissan Maxima that did that very same thing on the highest blower setting. It wasn't a "max" setting..there was a seperate button for that. I could only run it on fan speed 3. #4 felt like it kicked off the compressor. Never got it looked at

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '08 Commander, 57k miles, with the manual climate control does the same thing, just not calibrated as well as it should be I think... no issues though, as the A/C system freezes me out when it is in the mid 90's outside

1 - 5 of 5 Posts