Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a commander a couple of weeks ago for my wife, She mentioned that the a/c didnt seem to be cooling as well as her last car. I have driven it a couple of times and I have to agree, It isnt nearly as good as my f-150. It takes a long time to cool down and you have to leave it on high to keep it tolerable. Is anyone else having trouble? Todd

·
Registered
74 Posts
No trouble. That's a Jeep AC for you. Coming from my 2000 Cherokee, this is actually an improvement. At least this one always engages when you turn it on. You've probably just been spoiled by Ford. Their ACs are always top notch. Also keep in mind that there's a heck of a lot of interior space to cool compared to a car or even an F-150. I keep my rear air on high cool and turn it on until the car cools off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had this problem with mine. They checked the freon in it and it was low. They said it is normal for a new vehicle to sometimes be low on coolant. You might want to tell your dealer and see if they can just check the freon. Once my dealer charged the coolant it has been good since. It does no instantly cool because it is such a large space to cool but it is considerably better. We drove to the Gulf in MS over the weekend and I got cold and it was 90+ degrees out. We had to kick it down on low to keep it from being to cold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
THe AC cools better if you use the recirculation setting. It is the far right setting on the mode knob. I used the regular vent setting and it was not cool enough until I tried the recirc.

·
Registered
556 Posts
goosala said:
THe AC cools better if you use the recirculation setting. It is the far right setting on the mode knob. I used the regular vent setting and it was not cool enough until I tried the recirc.
That does work perfect. No problems here, I have only used the recircul. setting.
But mine does seem to hesitate a few sec. before it starts to blow out the vents. Is that normal? I'm used to turning the knob on and it blows instantly. With the JC it seems like it's thinking inside a minute to figure out what setting I have it on and then blows normal.:eek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is a TSB dealing with the auto-A/C. Mine would be slow to respond when first turned on and blow to the floor before changing to the dash vents. This fixed the problem. As for cooling all seems to be good in that area. On the really hot days - after sitting in the office parking lot all day I just turn on the rear A/C and cooling is generally pretty quick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
dodge and jeep (in general american vehicles) use a bigger condenser and a little different ac system from what I know. which causes the cooling cycle in the beginning when you first turn on your vehicle. But once it gets going, it gets COLD! Because Imports I have noticed, especially in nissans that they get cold in a matter of seconds. Its just different engineering. And I do noticed like a few other people, that if it's on recircling cycle it does cool down way faster.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
bravo2376 said:
But mine does seem to hesitate a few sec. before it starts to blow out the vents. Is that normal?

Yes, DCX does this to keep the blast of hot air from blowing out. They wouldn't have to do this if people understood that you can't just get in the car, crank it up, and turn the AC on full blast without giving it a chance to work.

It's just like your house people, it takes a minute for cold air to actually cool the cab space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts