Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed aftermarket stereos in the past, but this one by far was the most difficult. For starters I didn't know I had the boston sound w/o NAV so I bought the standard wiring harness(radio kept cutting out or didn't work at all) and dash install(didn't work). So, I had to purchase the crutchfield harness(works like a charm) and cut the dash (works for me for now) until I can buy the actual double din. Oh yea,I seen a couple post asking about how the crutchfield harness works:eek:ne harness plugs into the factory radio harness(should be the ground and backup memory 12+), the other one(s)(speaker wires) plug into the factory amp wiring harness (back drivers side panel underneath the cup holder) and run all the way behind the dash to connect the to aftermarket speaker wires, and for the red power wire you can connect anywhere that's 12V but I connected it to the windshield wiper fuse under the steering wheel. As for the questions. 1. I was ready to be done with the install so I connected the power wire for the aftermarket amp behind the dash to 12v wire instead of to the battery. It works fine but is it a problem with it being there? 2. I cut the dash to fit it and it's not flush. Is there a way to make it flush and what can I use to cover the knob half circles

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '08 with navigation. I want to install a double din head unit too. How DO I find out if I have a Boston Acoustics radio? It has REQ on bottom right of radio. Also, since the opening is only 3 3/4" tall, I take it, I will have to cut the dash opening. Can you post some pics? I'd like to see how it looks. Thanks for any information you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have an '08 with navigation. I want to install a double din head unit too. How DO I find out if I have a Boston Acoustics radio? It has REQ on bottom right of radio. Also, since the opening is only 3 3/4" tall, I take it, I will have to cut the dash opening. Can you post some pics? I'd like to see how it looks. Thanks for any information you can give me.
Should say Boston Acoustics on the doors over the speaker grill. Also, I believe that if you had the BA system you would have the RER MyGIG unit. This is not 100% for certain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Boston Acoustics badges on speaker grills. I guess its just std 6 disc changer with Sirius. Partial Uconnect minus the rearview mirror/mic. Very strange setup. I want to swap out for double din with bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The best way to find out for sure what you have is to get the build sheet from Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
On 2006 models they didn't place the BA label on the front speaker grills. BA only gives you the upgraded amp and speakers, Sirius and NAV were optional.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
On 2006 models they didn't place the BA label on the front speaker grills. BA only gives you the upgraded amp and speakers, Sirius and NAV were optional.
I know that but he has an '08.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to make a correction. I DO NOT have navigation. Crutchfield says double din will work. However, they do not have master sheet (installation instructions) for 08 Commander. They recomended a dash adapter. But, it looks like it just makes up for the width. From 8"- 7". They do not elaborate on any " subdash modification" that is necessary according to their website. I figured Crutchfield would be a little more intuitive. I guess they're not as helpful as they were years ago when I used to order from their catalog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts