Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just purchased my 07 4.7 4X4. Was planning on doing fluids (oil, coolant, transfer case, axles) and plugs in the next few weeks.

1.) I've seen several posts referencing using only Champion plugs - what's the benefit in going from the copper to platinum and dbl platinum?

2.) Is there a consensus as to which brand of gear oil/trans fluids are the best or should I just stick with Mopar factory stuffs?

3.) While I've got her apart and I have a chance to do some closer inspection, what are some not so common issues to really look for? I'm aware of a lot of potential problem areas, but there may be a few I overlook that are particular to this vehicle/engine setup.

Thanks in advance! I'm really enjoying perusing this forum. Lots of great info so far!

Mike

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Mike do you know what transmission you have? First is it trail rated badge on left ft fender, next does it Quadra Drive II on the back of the center console? This help folks answer your questions.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point! I didn't even think to include that. Yes it is trail rated. It has the Quadra-Trac II system and the trans is the 545RFE.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have platinums in my 3.7l with no issues. Got a significant mpg improvement that I attribute to super worn plugs being replaced.

The 4.7L is basically the same engine with 2 more cylinders FYI. I was heavily steered away from the platinums by quite a few forum goers, but chose to try them anyways. Just wanted you to be aware of the issues that some have with them and know that there is no performance difference despite manufacturers claims. You are likely ok running them if you prefer a longer service life.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Hello all,

Just purchased my 07 4.7 4X4. Was planning on doing fluids (oil, coolant, transfer case, axles) and plugs in the next few weeks.

1.) I've seen several posts referencing using only Champion plugs - what's the benefit in going from the copper to platinum and dbl platinum?

2.) Is there a consensus as to which brand of gear oil/trans fluids are the best or should I just stick with Mopar factory stuffs?

3.) While I've got her apart and I have a chance to do some closer inspection, what are some not so common issues to really look for? I'm aware of a lot of potential problem areas, but there may be a few I overlook that are particular to this vehicle/engine setup.

Thanks in advance! I'm really enjoying perusing this forum. Lots of great info so far!

Mike
Mike,

I'd suggest following the factory recommendations on all of the above and stick with CHRYSLER/MOPAR for a variety of reasons.

My main reasons being, I take my XK to Jeep for anything I can't do myself - and I will not give them the ready-made excuse of "You should have followed the manufacturer's recommendations in your owner's/service manual" if something mechanical were to ever breakdown or fail.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I run Denso Iridiums in my 5.7 Hemi Commander and have been for several years in a couple of different Jeeps and Dodge trucks.. The spark plug problem is with some aftermarket Champion plugs that have too much resistance and cause ignition problems. These plugs are sold as the OEM replacements and have the correct part number but do not work n the Chrysler engines because of different electrical resistance than they are supposed to have. Many platinum and iridium plugs are lower resistance than the OEM plugs so they will work fine. It was a very strange issue with these aftermarket copper Champion plugs sold through aftermarket parts stores. The dealer should only be stocking OEM Champion plugs that should work fine as long as they came from Chrysler.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike,

I'd suggest following the factory recommendations on all of the above and stick with CHRYSLER/MOPAR for a variety of reasons.

My main reasons being, I take my XK to Jeep for anything I can't do myself - and I will not give them the ready-made excuse of "You should have followed the manufacturer's recommendations in your owner's/service manual" if something mechanical were to ever breakdown or fail.
That's a very good point. I tend to do most of my Jeep work myself, but that was always on the old school 4.0l straight 6. This one is a different animal altogether.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kind of conflicting info, but what I'm gathering from the responses is that it's not necessarily non-champion plugs, it's the resistance ratings of the plugs. Platinum/Dbl platinum are just made to last longer. Good deal, I should be able to decide from there with a little research.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
That's a very good point. I tend to do most of my Jeep work myself, but that was always on the old school 4.0l straight 6. This one is a different animal altogether.
I used to have a 2WD 95 Cherokee SE with 4.0L straight 6.

That was a great engine in terms of low end torque and reliability.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to have a 2WD 95 Cherokee SE with 4.0L straight 6.

That was a great engine in terms of low end torque and reliability.

My XJ and LJ both had the straight 6. Crap gas mileage but bulletproof and easy to work on. Only issues I ever had on those were heat in the Texas summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts