Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2006 XK 5.7 Hemi about 3 weeks ago. I have spent the last 2 hours detailing it and going over it.

I bought it from a Lincoln Mercury Dealer here in Ft Worth. The Carfax on it was nice and clean, nothing showing up on it at all...

However, when I was detailing it, it looks like it has been repainted on the rear bumper, the front bumper and portions of both sides. Now I don't know if this is bad OEM paintwork or if it's been damaged and painted. There are scratches on it that have been touched up with touch up paint, I appreciate that being as it isn't new and has been used, but I am concerned about what looks like complete areas on the Jeep having been painted.

I understand that if for example it had been keyed down the side or something, that it wouldn't necessarily show up on a carfax report if the original owner hadn't gone through insurance.

I just want to get some thoughts before I head to the place I bought it from and complain, if I have any leg to stand on, being as the carfax was clear, but it does look like it's been repainted.

Let me know what you think... thank you.

I could post pics, but it's one of those things that you won't see much in a picture, it's when you see it up close and personal you notice it...

Thanks again in advance for your advice...

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on. You could/should have closely inspected the vehicle before you purchased it. Look at the bright side--maybe the vehicle was never involved in an accident and the former owner had it painted to correct cosmetic blemishes.

You can try going back and complaining, but I really don't think you'll get any satisfaction. What would you try to accomplish? Vehicle buy back? New paint job? Money back?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I agree with 4Runner, and you really don't know if the dealer even had knowledge of any prior body work. Small repairs done outside insurance would not show up on carfax and they might have been done as the owner was real finiky and wanted a good looking vehicle so he fixed digs and scrathes as he found them. As long a paint is the only issue and everything works fine I would be comfortable with the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It is very common for dealers to have a mobile service come out weekly for the sole purpose of refinishing bumpers.
Folks parked by braille when they were chrome but it didn't show too bad.
Obviously, painted bumper covers show it.
I would say, if it is a really lousy airbrush job, you should complain.The dealer paid the outfit good money to do it well.
Sometimes though, the cover should have been removed and properly/fully refinished.
I still think a conversation is in order though.
Heck, maybe the dealer would get it properly done because you can prove the method used was substandard.
My $.02,
......Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
What exactly are you seeing that's indicating it's been repainted? Differences in paint shade? Differences in orange peel? Tape lines? Overspray?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the replies.

To answer some questions... I can see that inside the gas cap there are tape marks on around it, straight lines where the tape was round the gas cap. On that same panel where it meets the tail light, there is a rough area where the paint appears to not have been compounded back properly.

The front bumper is shiny, but the paint feels rubbery, like you can put your finger nail into it. The rear bumper has 'dust' in it, and a drip mark right underneath it, the rear passenger side door has a white dot under the clearcoat. These are all things that point to it having been repainted... not really for cosmetic reasons.

I don't believe it's been offroad. The interior of the Jeep is pretty much immaculate.

When I bought the Jeep, I had been to look at it twice, I looked all over it, but it was dusty from a recent rain, I noticed some scratches on it that have been touched up, and I accepted it... being as it was used and it was a Jeep... I checked down both sides for door dings, it's totally clean in that respect. Even on the tailgate, I noticed where a dealer sticker had been removed with something like sandpaper(!) but knew I could sort that out too.

The Jeep drives great and as I said, the interior is pretty much immaculate! I just hate to think that I have been 'had' when I haven't made my first payment on it yet.

When it's clean it looks really really nice and everyone has commented it looks new, (I'll post some new pics in a while) but when you look close you can see these things.

Maybe I need to chill and stop being so anal... maybe it's the Graphic Designer in me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
so you just bought it about 3 weeks ago. and ur finding urself detailing it for 2 hours and it has not been more then 2 months.....im not trying to be mean but i think ur just paranoid and super picky.....if it makes u feel any better i notcied the same symtoms on my jeep as well....like the inside of the gas door....looks dull...the bottom of my front bumper has lite drips................im pretty sure both are jeeps had a "touch up" in the front bumper(the rocks and all)

but i came to realize...so what......... its just a car(suv)...in 2 years someone is going to have somthing nicer and better.....then what im driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
listen... no one is more picky than me. i bought a used '06 in the metallic kakhi which had some minor body work but it looks great. the previous owner was pretty much "drive by feel" when it came to the front and rear bumpers. both were repainted by my dealer before i took delivery. and yes, the rubbery paint on the bumpers that you discribe is due to the flex additive that is added to paint when rubber/plastic bumpers are painted. this prevents the paint from cracking when bumped. dont worry about the minor stuff. shine it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Take it off road permeate the thing with mud and drag a few tree branches down the sides! It will make you totally look at it differently! You will appreciate it for different reasons!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts