Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Squidz,

I can see where that would get your heart racing. If your spotter had directed you to turn right sooner you would have had a line that would not have tipped you as much. Of course you might not have had the same rush.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Looks likes it was a fun ride. I wasnt there and hate to even saying anything cause i have dont some stuff like that too....but something stuck out to me in this video that brings up a point about offroading and having people there to help you.
I really dont think that the people you had trying to "hold the vehicle" up were doing much other then putting themselves in a position to get crushed had the vehicle went over. If it was that close to really going over there is no way people could prevent it just by pushing up on it. A tow strap on the upper side around the side pillars anchoring it forward would have done wonders and kept people from being in the "kill zone".
Im sure in your case you guys were probably doing it as safely as possible, but pointing it out since there may be other who will see this that have less experience in these kinds of maneuvers and will think "oh, i can have people try to balance or hold the vehicle" and they will get crushed. the reality is they were probably having little affect on the vehicles getting through the obstacle from that position. Just my observation....and maybe i should have kept my thoughts to myself, but for what its worth i have vehicle just like that slip and have a sudden "jump" or "flop" to one side and it happens very quickly, much faster then any person's reaction time, especially a person one slippery surface that is already slightly off balance from the terrain they are standing on. Maybe I am only pointing this out since i have seen my share of severed or crush body parts, and its never good. and this seems like a situation that is preventable by simply having people stand back, clear of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That was exciting to watch, so it must have been a thrill from the driver seat. Great vids!

edit: I agree with Ped on the "kill zone" theory. In some situations there is no choice but to get in harms way or face disaster. However at the point that the helpers started to push it was not so bad that they could not have stopped and moved to the other side with a strap.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you watch closely you can totally see the difference between QD II and QT II. I wish I had gone with the HEMI.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That was fun to watch, you really were in no danger of hitting that rock. I have tipped my Commander farther than that before and nobody needed to go hands on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks likes it was a fun ride. I wasnt there and hate to even saying anything cause i have dont some stuff like that too....but something stuck out to me in this video that brings up a point about offroading and having people there to help you.
I really dont think that the people you had trying to "hold the vehicle" up were doing much other then putting themselves in a position to get crushed had the vehicle went over. If it was that close to really going over there is no way people could prevent it just by pushing up on it. A tow strap on the upper side around the side pillars anchoring it forward would have done wonders and kept people from being in the "kill zone".
Im sure in your case you guys were probably doing it as safely as possible, but pointing it out since there may be other who will see this that have less experience in these kinds of maneuvers and will think "oh, i can have people try to balance or hold the vehicle" and they will get crushed. the reality is they were probably having little affect on the vehicles getting through the obstacle from that position. Just my observation....and maybe i should have kept my thoughts to myself, but for what its worth i have vehicle just like that slip and have a sudden "jump" or "flop" to one side and it happens very quickly, much faster then any person's reaction time, especially a person one slippery surface that is already slightly off balance from the terrain they are standing on. Maybe I am only pointing this out since i have seen my share of severed or crush body parts, and its never good. and this seems like a situation that is preventable by simply having people stand back, clear of the vehicle.
ya i don't think it was a good idea for them to be standing there...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Since I was one of the guys standing there on the rock, let me put my 2 cnets in. At no time was there any danger of the truck flipping and crushing someone, it would have hit the big several tonne rock and stopped. If a couple of guys can stop a loose vehicle from rocking into a rock and causing damage, then so be it, the truck was going to sway one way or another so why not shaw it so Squidz did not have to replace all his side glass and doors?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Since I was one of the guys standing there on the rock, let me put my 2 cnets in. At no time was there any danger of the truck flipping and crushing someone, it would have hit the big several tonne rock and stopped. If a couple of guys can stop a loose vehicle from rocking into a rock and causing damage, then so be it, the truck was going to sway one way or another so why not shaw it so Squidz did not have to replace all his side glass and doors?
I don't think that anyone is saying that what you were trying to do was wrong, more so that the method was not the best. I agree it is the best to try to avoid damage when possible but also to minimize risk to people too. That is why most of us suggested a strap tied to the other side.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think that anyone is saying that what you were trying to do was wrong, more so that the method was not the best. I agree it is the best to try to avoid damage when possible but also to minimize risk to people too. That is why most of us suggested a strap tied to the other side.
A strap would have been the best, completely agree. And I don't think throwing a body in front of a tipping truck is the best thing to do, rather stupid actually but the body reacts before the brain sometimes.
It was fun rocking Sid a little though and seeing his reaction inside, was a mixture of a deer in the headlights and an immodium commercial

1 - 13 of 13 Posts