Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dead set on doing my own service.
two questions.
1) When I get the correct fumoto valve in the mail (didn't get the one with the nipple prior) do I coat or cover the threads one the valve before permanently screwing it in?

most important.

2) can I add my own grease to the boots? Or, are they factory sealed? I have a chance to get an inexpensive craftsman grease gun. From what I heard it is good to fill the boots just to the point where they start to bulge.

3) Transmission flush...Good....Bad? I like Royal Purple products and wish to service and change the trans. and diff. fluid. Thoughts?

4) Any ideas on a storage box to replace the third row seat that I can do myself?

Thanks
Scared Goat:killtard:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
So those are the only two people you want help from ?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I am dead set on doing my own service.
two questions.
1) When I get the correct fumoto valve in the mail (didn't get the one with the nipple prior) do I coat or cover the threads one the valve before permanently screwing it in?

most important.

2) can I add my own grease to the boots? Or, are they factory sealed? I have a chance to get an inexpensive craftsman grease gun. From what I heard it is good to fill the boots just to the point where they start to bulge.

3) Transmission flush...Good....Bad? I like Royal Purple products and wish to service and change the trans. and diff. fluid. Thoughts?

4) Any ideas on a storage box to replace the third row seat that I can do myself?

Thanks
Scared Goat:killtard:
1) You do not need any special sealer for the valve, you can use pipe tape if you want peace of mind but it is not needed.

2) I do not think the Commander has zert fittings but I have nevery looked.

3) what is your mileage?

4) there are several plans on here for a DIY storage box.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a storage box in the back of my commander, I can snap shots and take some measurements if you'd like.

I actually would rather have the 3rd row, but the storage is useful.

·
2,248 Posts
I feel honored. Adondo built a wood storage compartment that would be easier to make your self. So a search and you will find it or wait 5 minutes and Jeep5352 will probably find it for you.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) You do not need any special sealer for the valve, you can use pipe tape if you want peace of mind but it is not needed.

2) I do not think the Commander has zert fittings but I have nevery looked.

3) what is your mileage?

4) there are several plans on here for a DIY storage box.
53,000 miles. I am making the big move Crested Butte and want to have the knowledge I did everything possible for my XK. Which will lead me o my next question of suspension and such, but first things first, fluids/lube etc.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel honored. Adondo built a wood storage compartment that would be easier to make your self. So a search and you will find it or wait 5 minutes and Jeep5352 will probably find it for you.
Wish I knew how to weld so I can copy yours with the diamond plate. I can get the tools/welder on loan and buyy the materials to do so, I might even have a friend use his c&c router to cut the materials to size for me, but I have never welded before. I am handy, but am not sure thats a good first project.

·
2,248 Posts
Just so you do not get the wrong idea, I did not weld the storage box. I just did a drawing in AutoCad and had the guys at our plant build it for me. These guys can build anything. My contribution was just getting the dimensions correct.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just so you do not get the wrong idea, I did not weld the storage box. I just did a drawing in AutoCad and had the guys at our plant build it for me. These guys can build anything. My contribution was just getting the dimensions correct.
Still you had the knowledge, ability, and the foresight to do so. Caesar didn't actually fight the Gauls, and Fidel didn't actually engage Batista's troops, but they used the guys in their army to do it per his instruction......same thing. The top portion on your cad drawing shows about an inch wider than the base. Is this so they can bend the sides to make a form fitting fit?

Did you have your extra gas tank hand built or did you get it from another vehicle? I thought I read somewhere that Ahmed used another (smaller) jeeps tank for his. Do you remember this?

·
2,248 Posts
I do not remember the top being wider than the base.

The guys at the plant custom built the storage box out of aluminim sheets and diamond plate aluminum.

Ahmed had found a tank from another vehicle and posted a picture of it to see if it might fit. Ahmed also did a lot of design work on a combination water and fuel tank. Go back and look at the later pages of the thread on auxillary gas tanks or it might have been the thread on his shipment.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I did try the ZJ Grand Cherokee fuel tank ,, it fits in but set lower than the protecting arms ,, so I didn't install it.

here is how it looks

Huey the design that I did was on your storage box thread ,, and it was only for storage and water tank in the third row seat location.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lets explore again.

I did try the ZJ Grand Cherokee fuel tank ,, it fits in but set lower than the protecting arms ,, so I didn't install it.

here is how it looks

Huey the design that I did was on your storage box thread ,, and it was only for storage and water tank in the third row seat location.
I bumped this for the newer folks. Ahmed, do you have any other options in mind?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where in Chicago is your plant?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I bumped this for the newer folks. Ahmed, do you have any other options in mind?
No ,, I think its easier and better to customize an aluminum one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts