Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a 2006 V8 Commander 4X4 (non limited) and it's time to replace the OEM tires. I want to retain stock suspension, but want a larger tire to give it a slight lift. I read that the largest I can go without trimming, cutting or any modification is 245/70R/17. Is this correct or can I go bigger? Lastly my tire choice for the OEM replacements are the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2. The jeep is occasionally taken off-road and used for long haul trips. Which is the better application and will both fit under stock suspension? Thank you much for the help

-Abe

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Welcome, fellow Virginia Jeeper. Check out this "sticky" thread under wheels / tires.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393
" Stock Jeep Commanders or Commanders using the 1/4" leveling spacer can fit the following tire sizes WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing: "

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians (might have minor rubbing)
255/65R17

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
For mostly highway long hauls, seems like the Duratracks would be better than the Mud Terrains. 245/70/17 seems to be the largest for you running stock suspension.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have Duratracs, but I have owned BFG All Terrain T/A's in the past (on a ZR2 Blazer). The siping (slices in the tread blocks) are deeper in the BFG's so I would expect more miles of good snow traction with those when compaired to the GY Duratracs...

Both are amazing 1st winter of use (now that I have time with both in the snow).

Chuck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, fellow Virginia Jeeper. Check out this "sticky" thread under wheels / tires.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393
" Stock Jeep Commanders or Commanders using the 1/4" leveling spacer can fit the following tire sizes WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing: "

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians (might have minor rubbing)
255/65R17
Hi Smitty, nice to see another Virgnian here, looks like I'm safe to go with the 245/70R17 then.

For mostly highway long hauls, seems like the Duratracks would be better than the Mud Terrains. 245/70/17 seems to be the largest for you running stock suspension.
Thanks for the feedback GP

I have Duratracs, but I have owned BFG All Terrain T/A's in the past (on a ZR2 Blazer). The siping (slices in the tread blocks) are deeper in the BFG's so I would expect more miles of good snow traction with those when compaired to the GY Duratracs...

Both are amazing 1st winter of use (now that I have time with both in the snow).

Chuck
Thanks Chuck. Any one have experience with BFG Mud-Terrains in snow?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have experience with Goodyear Mud-Terrains in snow, stock forteras in snow and wrangler silent armor in snow. But not the BFGs. All the goodyears are great!

·
Registered
362 Posts
The one drawback to mudders versus all terrain's is the lack of siping (the razor slices in the tread blocks). These are what help with traction on packed snow and ice. I have friends that have used both types of tires and confirmed AT's are better for everyday / winter useage.

Chuck

·
Registered
242 Posts
the bfg mud terrains km2s in snow rock. i have super swampers and they are horrible in snow. but my friend has km2 265/70s and they are amazing.
no slip what so ever. even if we try and slide, doesnt work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I pulled the trigger on the Duratracs (245/70/17) and just had them mounted, they look great! Even though these are 1" taller, should I follow manufactures recommendation for tire inflation like on the stock Forteras? What do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would just air them up to 35 ft lbs front and rear like the OEM tires and see how that works out for you. If you want you can do the chalk test to make sure the entire tread width of the tire is contacting the pavement. This way you would know if you need more air in them or if you have to much. But for that size and brand tire you will be fine with just filling them to 35 ft lbs and calling it a day. Im running 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar at 35 ft lbs with no problems. This is my second set and the first ones wore perfect, besides the little alignment issue I had.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You run your With Kevlars at 35? How is gas mileage? Max is 50 I think so I run anywhere between 40 and 45 as long as they are all the same. I thought rule was 3 pounds less then max but I went 5 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts