Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to hit 100,000 miles on my XK and I was wondering what should I do to maintain it and keep it going for another 100K. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
What ever you've been doing up to this point appears to have worked, so keep doing it!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Mine needed some front end work at 118k. Keep an eye on that. Replace rod ends and other front end parts with high quality Moog brand parts when you need to. They carry a lifetime warranty. This is normal wear for any vehicle at 100,000 miles. Figure on spending 3 to 5 hundred to have it done and then aligned.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I’m about to hit 100,000 miles on my XK and I was wondering what should I do to maintain it and keep it going for another 100K. Any suggestions?
Brandon iot would help to know the yr the motor and transmission to get answers to your questions. Also have you had it from new?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I think it could probably use a warm mud bath.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Do what it says in the O.M. to change, if you haven't been doing that, then start doing it and stay on the schedule.

If you want it to last to 200k, then ontop of what the O.M. says, I would:
  • Change the axle fluid even if you fall under the service description of NOT needing to change it, maybe do it at every 50k instead of 12k or 18k for towing and heavy off-roading.
  • Change the PS fluid, with the O.M. recommended fluid, MS-10838 is only available from the dealer at this time, using any old PS fluid off the auto store shelf will likely be hurt NOT help.
  • Change the Brake fluid, use what the O.M. recommends, DOT4 may perform better, but if your vehicle only requires DOT3, then use the longer lasting and better protecting DOT3.
  • Consider using Synthetic fluids, well ATF+4 is already synthetic, and the axles require Synthetic GL-5, so it would really be for the motor.
  • New PCV can't hurt.
  • Inspect hoses and belts, replace those that look like they need it.
The O.M. says to change out Coolant and Serpentine Belt at 100k/5yr, your manual may say different, but if you haven't done it by now, do it.

Oh, and the Dealer will rape you on changing PS and Brake Fluid, do it yourself or find a good corner garage to do it. No you do NOT need to bleed the ABS module, but you do run the risk of getting air in it and needing it bleed, which you need an electronic device to control the ABS pump to do it, so you may have to go to the dealer or garage with a tool that can do it.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts