Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally closed the deal on our new Commander this morning. Our first Jeep, first new DCX product ever. In 20+ cars previously most were Japanese. Traded an Accord on the Commando. Been looking 6 months, been trolling this and other sites for a while. Convinced myself that DCX products are better than the 80's-90's stuff. Even rented a Commander for 2 days from Budget to actually live with one just to make sure we liked it. (yes, we loved it). Rented a Grand Cherokee also, not near as good.

So were driving down the street, almost home, about 10 miles from the dealership. 28 miles on the ODO. DING DING! ABS & parking brake light come on. Thinking "no f---ing way" when DING DING! and the check engine comes on, speedo drops to 0 (going about 20mph). Jeep is still running though. Pulled into the driveway, turned off. Checked the gas cap just in case the salesman did not check after filling tank. Drove around the block. Nothing changed. Called salesman, he asked to drive it around a little to make sure it wasn't the gas cap. Drove about 10 miles, but guessing now since the ODO was not moving from 28, I assume since the speedo was not working it didn't think we were actually rolling.

Took back to the dealer. Luckily they have 8-5 service on Saturdays. Luckily I managed to make it there (it ran just fine despite the light show on the dash). Luckily I kept my cool somewhat when in the service dept. Luckily could walk to the fast food joint across the street to get some lunch. Came back 45 min later, tech was pulling up in the Commando.

The verdict: ABS module "lost cummunication" with the main computer. Computer reset by technician, who then drove around for 10 miles, everything seemed fine. The said they had never seen that happen. Should note that this dealership has a very good reputation, and there 7+ Jeep dealers in the metro area.

Drove home, then another 50 or so miles, just because. Hey, gotta show off the new ride, right? Showing 98 on the ODO now, no more warning lights. Everything seems fine.

Has anyone here seen or heard of ABS module problems on these? I suspect this may happen again. My day job is computers and usually one that just quits briefly will continue to do it occasionally until it finally dies one day. Is this common or did I just get the 1 out of 1000 bad ABS module? No matter how good there is always one electronic device that will die right out of the box. I can live with that, just wondering how many "service resets" I'm in for before they replace it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmmm.... wondering if it was a connector problem external to the ABS unit.
... or the ABS control unit itself ...
I've never heard of this happening.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Whatever caused it to lose communications could shut down the data bus, which would result in the symptoms you described. On some early XKs they had a few bad Front Control Modules which could also produce similar symptoms.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put this on another thread, but thought it might be good for reference here in this one...

Just to update, I have 250 miles on the Commando now. No recurrence of the problem yet. Otherwise I love it. I even rode in the back row tonight... and it was a little strange but really not that bad. I am 5'11" & 185, and it was a little tight but once I folded my legs "indian style" it wasn't bad at all. Wouldn't want to ride all day back there but short trips are fine. Nice touch with the faux diamond plate step under the middle row seat, it shows that they actually thought about how to get in/out.

One other problem though... THE WIND WHISTLE!!! Didn't the TSB come out quite a while back? (I need to look it up) Mine was built in early June, and arrived at the dealer at the end of June. This should have been fixed at the factory, or at very least DCX should tell the dealers to fix the ones on the lot. If they don't they guarantee that some of their customers will be making return trips soon, which only continues the theory that DCX product is crap. I know it is an easy fix and is just a first year issue, but I will either have to burn some time at the dealer or fix it myself. By the way, mine does not have the sunroofs so it is clearly a seal issue.

Since I got such a great deal I don't mind a few minor problems. With Employee Pricing +2K rebate I got out the door for only $25K even. And that includes tax! HOWEVER, if I had paid 40K for a loaded Hemi and had these issues I would be pissed. In that league you just can't throw out a product with KNOWN issues without fixing them first. Especially when the fix only requires some caulking.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, close to 500 miles now. This problem has not returned.

However, there is the wind whistle. No sunroof(s). This Commando was built in June 06. After almost a full year of production and many complaints about the whistling you would think that they would figure out how to prevent it at the factory.

Note: I rented a Commander with about 5K on the clock. No whistle.
I rented a Grand Cherokee with about 8K on the clock. Howled like a banshee on the interstate. Luckily my Commander is not whistling that bad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you read through all the TSBs? I've heard some identified causes of leaks and or whistles due to windshield adhesive/seal not solidifying and/or the bake on adhesive for other seals bubbling up leaving small gaps. Issues of sunroof drains, etc. do not apply to you. It appears that the engineering/design of the seals, jams, etc. are good but that there are/were issues w/ adhesives. When I combed through the TSBs, IIRC, there were 9 or 10 identified locations where this may cause a leak or whistle. Most appear easily corrected w/ application of sealer, though some require the re-installation of the windshield. I think someone posted that they had information that many did in fact have their windshields redone correcting this issue.

If you have a good service department, I would expect they would follow the recommendations on these TSBs and go through the process (steps) of elimination to isolate, identify and correct your specific issue. Otherwise, it appears some XK owners have experienced poor service from dealers that do not follow this process and repeatedly stay on first base.

I do not personally know ktek01 but he consistently appears to express a solid foundation of knowledge on the XK from the perspective of the dealer's service department. Maybe he'll throw in his two cents, but I would like to see a separate "Discussion" area on this forum where an expert such as he could answer these technical questions giving us proper DCX advice and solutions. Maybe we could call it "Ask The Tech" or "Ask ktek01".

My personal XK is a December pup and it appears to have no leak and or whistle issue whatsoever to date. Since built it has been exposed to cold temps, hot temps, heavy rain, and highway speeds (wind). I think if it had an adhesive issue it would have shown up by now.

Good Luck my XK brother and/or sister,

XKPearl:)

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Brother actually.

I know about the TSBs, but these have been known issues for a while. I'm just ranting because this will require at least one service visit for something that should have been fixed in the build process by now. You would think that they could figure it out after a few months at least.

I just don't have the time for service trips for such minor issues. If a company is trying to rebuild their reputation for quality wouldn't you think they would fix something like this? I know there will always be first year issues, but like some else posted, these are issues that should be worked out by month 11 of production.

How about it ktek01? You seem to have the connections. Why is it so hard to seal a windshield? Is there some innovative process or substance that they are using on the Commander for the first time? Or is it just shoddy sealing by the person or robot that is applying the sealant?

/rant

·
Registered
204 Posts
XKPearl said:
I do not personally know ktek01 but he consistently appears to express a solid foundation of knowledge on the XK from the perspective of the dealer's service department. Maybe he'll throw in his two cents,

I have not seen any yet that required windshield removal, but it would not surprise me. I have had one or two WKs that had water leaks and required windshield removal. I watched when they took it off and the urethane sealer did not stick to the body in a few spots. Those are unusual, but it was a battle to get my service manager to approve the sublet to the glass shop.

With the XKs that I have fixed most had the whistle coming from the melt down patch or the seam at the base of the A-pillar. The first time it took me a while to find it, it required removing the cowl cover and taping over the area and then roadtesting repeatedly removing a little tape at a time until the noise came back to pinpoint the exact location. The problem is DCX doesnt like to pay for diagnostic time, some DCX district reps are better then others and some dealership warranty admins are better at getting them paid for. I think this is part of the reason for the widely different service experience, a lot of techs can fix them no problem, but if they cant get paid for it then they dont want anything to do with it. Nobody likes to work for free, and wind noise water leak issues are a pain to diag and the hardest to get paid for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
new TSB that came out........

Form ASI-002 Rev. 1.05
July 26, 2006
TO: ALL JEEP DEALERS
SUBJECT: RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL SERVICE ACTION #06-027
Windshield Header Buzz Or Humming Sound
INVOLVED VEHICLES: 2006 (XK) Commander
NOTE: This should be a top priority and be completed prior to sale to avoid
suspect vehicles being delivered to customers.
DISCUSSION:
A number of vehicles have been shipped to dealers with a windshield header
molding that may cause a buzz or humming sound when the vehicle is driven at
speeds above 45 mph (72 kph). When air passes over top of the tail section of the
molding it may vibrate creating a buzz or humming sound. The sound is more
likely to occur in warmer ambient temperatures when the molding material is more
flexible.
PARTS REQUIRED:
1 04467708 Sealer, Silicone Windshield and Glass (will service
multiple vehicles)
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Use a trim stick to hold the tail section of the windshield molding away from the
roof panel and use an alcohol wipe to clean all the way across the vehicle
between the molding and roof panel.
2. Use a trim stick to hold the tail section of the windshield molding away from the
roof panel and apply MOPAR Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer, p/n
04467708, in the joint between molding and the roof panel.
3. If sealer squeeze out occurs, immediately wipe off the excess with a clean paper
towel.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No:
23-50-25-93 Seal Windshield Header Molding 0.2 Hrs.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This TSB is my problem. Mine only comes from the top, but comes from either side depending on speed, wind direction, etc. Sometimes it is one side and sometimes it is in stereo.

This TSB probably explains the call I received from my dealer service department asking if I had heard whistling noises (why yes, I have!) and explaining they have a TSB for that and would I like to bring it in to be fixed (why yes, I would!). Unfortunately they are still waiting for the repair kit from DCX and haven't been able to yet. Apparently they want to wait for the official tube of silicon and not drop by the parts store and get one for $1.99. But the fact that they actually called to ask gave me a much better warm/fuzzy about the whole thing.

BTW, now have about 1,300 on the ODO and the ABS/Speedo issue has not happened again. Enjoying the Commando a LOT. Even with the "weak" 4.7 this thing can really burst in the 10-60 mph range, and from a stand-still will give a jump to some but will quickly overtake most cars. Perfect example of how important torque is in accelleration, since it will out-drag a lot of low torque cars with better hp/lb ratios.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Take some blue painters tape and tape over the upper windshield molding, this should at least confirm that is definately where your noise is coming from so you can be sure it should be fixed by the RRT. If it doesnt go away it could be one of the other seams down in the cowl.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI, just to complete this thread, we now have 8K miles on the Commander and the problem has NOT happened again.

I did see where DCX is doing a recall on MY2007 Commanders for a bad ABS module. Here is the description from www.nhtsa.gov:

DaimlerChrysler is recalling 62,369 MY 2007 Chrysler Sebring, 300, Dodge Charger, Magnum, Caliber, Nitro, and Jeep Commander, Compass, Grand Cherokee, Liberty and Wrangler vehicles. The antilock brake system (ABS) control module software may cause the rear brakes to lock up during certain braking conditions. This could result in a loss of vehicle control and cause a crash without warning. Dealers will reprogram the ABS electronic control unit. The recall is expected to begin during February 2007. 06V-493

1 - 12 of 12 Posts