Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had the ABS/ESP/BAS/TRAC lights come on. They turned off and on a few times then became solid. I took the Jeep down to the local auto parts store and had them read the ABS codes.

The codes are as follows:

C1043 Abnormal readings from speed sensor. Left Rear Wheel.
C102A Vehicle speed sensor or circuit broken.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
most likely one of two things (just went through this last week).
1. sensor has become gunk'd and funk'd - remove and clean (might fix) or for the same amount of time invested buy a new one less than $20.

2. time to replace wheel hub assembly (contains the "ring" that the sensor measures for data). I mention this because i just replaced the hub due to snapping off 2 studs. put it all back together and on test drive received similar code - my superchips translated code to "Left Rear Wheel At Implausible Distance." dash lit up like a christmas tree and after each start of the engine (going under 10mph) abs would engage and pedal would plunge 3/4 of the way to the floor. sure enough, closer inspection revealed that one way or another the "ring" had been dented in a smidgen. "careful" manipulation with a steel chisel and a 3pound sledge got it rounded out again. good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm on the right track. My plan is to replace the RL ABS sensor and inspect the tone wheel (as described in the factory manual). Depending on how the tone wheel looks, I'll replace the hub. This fault occurred during a transition of weather. From dry to wet windy which caused a lot of twigs and pine needles and such on the road. I think it's possible the tone wheel has junk in it.

Did you need to reset the diagnostic codes or did it clear on it's own?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts