Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 V6 Commander. A few weeks ago, the ESP BAS, Traction Control and ABS lights would randomly pop on. I pulled up the codes via the key technique which showed U 1417. I ordered the sensor and while I was waiting for it to be delivered new problems popped up. The jeep would be fine on my way to work. When I would leave, it wind second gear out for a while and then it would feel like it fell on its face, so to speak. All the lights would pop on only now the check engine light would come on as well. Once the rpms fell, it would be fine again. Still, only the U 1417 would pull up. I finally got the senor and replaced the driver's side. This had no effect. Now when I try to leave work, it will get to the top of second gear, fall on its face, all the lights will come on and it will go into limp mode. It will not go above 45mph or 2k rpms until I restart it. It only happens on my way home from work. Anybody have any suggestions? I can't seem to find any info on this problem that fits my situation.

·
Registered
569 Posts
when mine went into limp mode, it was a bad sensor on the conductor plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if the sensor on the conductor plate can be replaced or will I have to replace the entire thing?

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
It only happens on my way home from work. Anybody have any suggestions?
Don't go to work. Or stay at work and don't go home.:rofl:

·
Registered
569 Posts
the sensors are build into the plate, so its a whole replacement. It was $169, plus 4 qts of fluid and labor, around $450 total. This was an independent trans shop price. Im sure its a lot more at any dealership.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The key dance, as well as a standard OBDII scanner, will only read out the OBDII codes, plus a few extended codes that Chrysler threw in. 90% of the codes are NOT read out through the key dance or OBDII scanners, they need a special Dealer only scan tool to read them out. You could have more codes than you are reading.

What is code U1417?

You realize a broken wire to a sensor will show as a bad sensor to the controlling electronic module. Usually the code description will include that, if its possible. Usually the trouble shooting is more than just replacing a sensor.

Keep in mind, the ESP and Traction Control also commandeer the drive-by-wire throttle, so a problem in these systems or sensors, could cause the drive-by-wire to back off, thinking you've got a wheel spinning, even though you don't.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had the same dash lights recently, and the ABS started kicking in at random moments. Turned out to be a bad ABS sensor on the front right wheel. Fairly cheap fix but that sensors is used for ABS, traction control, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update this in case anyone finds this in a future search. I decided to forgo replacing the plate I'm the tranny and try putting in a new rear wheel speed sensor. The lights went out and I have been problem free for close to three weeks now. Seems to have solved that issue.

If you're reading this and you have either a 1417 (left) or 1418 (right) code and you don't have the means to check the current,just go ahead and replace both front and back. Apperantly these fail often and you will be better off just replacing them both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This happened to me today.
Would this make the car feel like you were driving with the brakes on?
The Service 4wd message also came on.
Its currently in a side road. Best not drive it to the garage I guess?
I dont have breakdown cover so its like £100 towing fee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts